Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Mark McCall

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Stuart Lancaster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • eddie jones

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
It'll likely be someone who knows they won't tour again and also wasn't a fan of Gatland.

I have heard a couple of former players say that Gatland is very hands off on Lions tours and just leaves everything to the coaches which surprised me. He leads the coaches meetings, does the pre and post match media as well as the odd address to the players.
He may not be physically coaching the players, but you can be sure of his role during training sessions

1628449802051.png
"Tell them if there's an overlap you take contact as soon as possible"

It'll likely be someone who knows they won't tour again and also wasn't a fan of Gatland.

I have heard a couple of former players say that Gatland is very hands off on Lions tours and just leaves everything to the coaches which surprised me. He leads the coaches meetings, does the pre and post match media as well as the odd address to the players.

Seems odd as this coaching team was the most attack minded of any of them (I mean a brick has more attacking tactical prowess than Howley) and yet produced by far the most dire attacking performance of the Gatland lions tours.

Here's my thing with Townsend
1. What did he actually do this tour?
He either 1. Was for Gatlands game plan, 2. Wasn't strong enough to say what we should do. Neither a great plus.

2. Basing a future succession on a coach whose record is,
1 Pro 14 win in 2015
Not making out of the pool stages in his only RWC so far and finishing 3rd in his first six nations as head coach (followed by 5th and 2 4th's)
IMO that's pretty flawed.

He can obviously improve on that, but if you was to say to me which of those coaches should be head coach come 2025 based on experience so far and likely results I would say it's eddie.
Agree with all of the above.

Also worth mentioning that Eddie isn't wedded to one style of play. The gameplan for England team has undergone various changes during his tenure and his tactics with Japan were completely different.

Personally I think he'd do very well for the Lions.

Seems odd as this coaching team was the most attack minded of any of them (I mean a brick has more attacking tactical prowess than Howley) and yet produced by far the most dire attacking performance of the Gatland lions tours.

Russell was interviewed after the game and asked what the coaches said to him before the game. He replied that he had only spoken to Gregor who told him if he gets on to go out and play his normal game. Maybe you need to have credit in the bank to get a word with Gatland.

I think Jones and ROG would be the two most ruthless and even handed in selection. Although I could see both going against the Scots for any 50/50 or even 60/40.

ROG needs to get back over to Australia and get his revenge on Duncan McRae for this. Or maybe challenge him to a fight via Zoom.

Wonder who'll be the one to spill the beans this time?

Can see Russell blabbing, he's no love for rugby authorities
6 Months time, guest appearance on the good, the bad and the rugby, and Hask will get him spilling all

I reckon there's so many players who want to. Conan and Aki have to be the only Irish players happy with that after Gatland reduced Furlong and Henshaw to battering rams used mostly when the side were losing yards.

The gameplan was just beggars belief, surely following a 0% season and that no ambitious side would touch Gatland.

If they really want to kill the Lions thats the first choice I'd make, I can't take another Gats tour...I'll be singing Waltzing Matilda if they do that.

I think Townsend is lined up as first choice its hard to gauge how well he'd do considering all he has is a few talented individuals and SA B to work with.

Jones immediate impact on teams is great I'm just unsure I'd want him when he's this close to current crop of England players. I'd want him when he doesn't know anyone so just make decisions based on form and willing to throw players under the bus if they don't perform.

Russell was interviewed after the game and asked what the coaches said to him before the game. He replied that he had only spoken to Gregor who told him if he gets on to go out and play his normal game. Maybe you need to have credit in the bank to get a word with Gatland.
Probably a sign Gatland never intended to give him a proper run out.

I reckon there's so many players who want to. Conan and Aki have to be the only Irish players happy with that after Gatland reduced Furlong and Henshaw to battering rams used mostly when the side were losing yards.

The gameplan was just beggars belief, surely following a 0% season and that no ambitious side would touch Gatland.
Not sure what the rules are for returning players in the pro 14, but in the premiership the likes of Hill, George, LRZ, Simmonds and Smith basically got a holiday to S.A that means they miss the start of the domestic season. (can't remember the exact period). If it's the same or similar for the pro14 then Henderson, H Watson, Russell, Navidi, Fagerson and Davies must be pretty frustrated to go all that way for not much and then have to take time out on top. Haven't even mention Kelleher yet, surely he would be exempt from any rest period. His call up probably worse than the Japan call ups against NZ. He literally flew out to cover a position that wasn't an issue and did what can only be described as **** all (All Gatland's fault, nothing to do with Kelleher himself). Hell George didn't get close to the tests, so wtf was Kelleher brought in for?

Also from the article the Lions committee asking for more flexibility from club sides, particularly the Prem to release their players. Lol **** up you money grubbing stains.

Bit rich when the players are missing the first 5 rounds of the premiership due to mandatory stand down (are the clubs being compensated for missing their best players for almost a quarter of the season?)

Now they want the players to miss the prem playoffs as well?

Yeah, beating the reigning English champions away from home has proven to leave us undercooked for internationals and matches against the legitimate European* league.

*Euro-African leagues excl.

Latest posts