• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June Internationals : South Africa A vs. England Saxons [2nd Match] (17/06/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
South%20Africa.png
A
Versus%20Pro%20D2.png
England.png
SAXONS

Venue: Outeniqua Park, George
Time: 19:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams

SA 'A': 15 Leolin Zas, 14 Sergeal Petersen, 13 Francois Venter, 12 Lukhanyo Am, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Francois Brummer, 9 Piet van Zyl, 8 Arno Botha, 7 Oupa Mohoje (captain), 6 Jean-Luc du Preez, 5 RG Snyman, 4 Jason Jenkins, 3 Marcel van der Merwe, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Thomas du Toit

Substitutes: 16 Edgar Marutlulle, 17 Coenie Oosthuizen, 18 Lizo Gqoboka, 19 JD Schickerling, 20 Nizaam Carr, 21 Ntando Kebe, 22 Howard Mnisi, 23 Travis Ismaiel

England Saxons: TBA

Last edited:
I expect another loss is on the cards here, If SA"A" win it'll be a really ugly win. Just don't see us matching the Saxons with such little preparation, they're operating too well in their structures for our bailing wire team to knock over. Time will tell!

Dunno man, I thought SA A looked okay, until a line break was made, at which point it became apparent who wanted it more. Fix that and it could be a different game.

Dunno man, I thought SA A looked okay, until a line break was made, at which point it became apparent who wanted it more. Fix that and it could be a different game.

Perhaps you're right. I just mean that I think this test will be a real grind, win or lose and the Saxons are in the better position to take the game if it gets close imo. Maybe SA "A" can shape up this week, Johan Ackermann is a great coach, but he's had plenty of time with his Lions team to show it. From my perspective, this test rides on the shadow boks' ability to overcome and grind it out if we're to win. In any case, I'd like to see what changes the English make to their gameplan if any. Seems the NH teams are playing their rugby very intelligently since the WC.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps you're right. I just mean that I think this test will be a real grind, win or lose and the Saxons are in the better position to take the game if it gets close imo. Maybe SA "A" can shape up this week, Johan Ackermann is a great coach, but he's had plenty of time with his Lions team to show it. From my perspective, this test rides on the shadow boks' ability to overcome and grind it out if we're to win. In any case, I'd like to see what changes the English make to their gameplan if any. Seems the NH teams are playing their rugby very intelligently since the WC.

I've added the SA team to the OP.

IMHO this is much better balanced team, although I don't think Zas is a fullback.

That forward pack could easily be the Springbok pack...

Saxons team:
1) Alec Hepburn
2) Tommy Taylor
3) Kieran Brookes
4) Dave Attwood
5) Charlie Ewels
6) Dave Ewers
7) Matt Kvesic
8) Don Armand

9) Dan Robson
10) Danny Cipriani
11) Christian Wade
12) Ollie Devoto
13) Nick Tompkins
14) Semesa Rokoduguni
15) Mike Haley

16) George McGuigan
17) Ross Harrison
18) Jake Cooper-Woolley
19) Mitch Lees
20) Sam Jones
21) Micky Young
22) Sam Hill
23) Sam James

Anybody else noticed the number of similar names?

Dave, Dave, Don, Dan, Danny.

Nick, Mike, Mitch, Micky.

Semesa (slight stretch here ;) ), Sam, Sam, Sam.

Last edited:
How did Devoto keep his shirt?

Hill and James were the two players I was looking forward to seeing the most, this tour, and they're gonna end up with about 30mins between the two of them :(

Good to see Robson back, hopefully he's fully fit.

Good to see Ewers starting and Hill getting a run out. Personally rate him much more than Devoto and Ewers is light years ahead of Chisholm. And of course it's fantastic to see Robson is fighting fit.

IMHO this is much better balanced team, although I don't think Zas is a fullback.

Glad to see Brummer is starting over April as well as Snyman, who was a beast off the bench last week. I'm likewise weary of Zas, what other options ahould've been considered? Who would you have chosen? Blommetjies? SP Marais? Maybe Kolbe?

Okay, I'll give you Snyman is up there with De Jager, Marx could easily start and Du Toit adds a lot all three of them despite being a bit light on experience but I think we have much better than the rest.

Glad to see Brummer is starting over April as well as Snyman, who was a beast off the bench last week. I'm likewise weary of Zas, what other options ahould've been considered? Who would you have chosen? Blommetjies? SP Marais? Maybe Kolbe?

Kolbe isn't available due to 7s. Gelant isn't available due to injury (and susequent op) and Jesse Kriel is of course with the Bokke. That leaves Marais, Blommetjies and Taute though he might still be injured as well. I'd have had Marais over Zas. My 1st choice would've been Gelant though.

How did Devoto keep his shirt?
By playing quite well (not brilliant, by any stretch, but quite well).
Though we're both well aware that I rate Devo higher than you do, and Hill lower.

Aye, fair play - he was excellent. Not sure why he doesn't more game time for Saracens.
I thought Devoto was arguably our worst back last week, his kicking and decision making was poor. He wasn't terrible, but I don't think he was good enough to keep the shirt with Hill and James both vying for it.
Be interesting to see how Wade goes with a full game, bit hit or miss off the bench (some good attack mixed with some poor defence)

James Craig, as well.

It was, obviously, more important to bring through Lees and Armand instead.

Lees and Craig is a non-argument in that neither are getting anywhere with England barring a substantial injury crisis so who cares.

Chisholm may be a future to be fair. Really early to tell. Mind you, Sam Jones would be the guy I'd have dropped.

Okay, I'll give you Snyman is up there with De Jager, Marx could easily start and Du Toit adds a lot all three of them despite being a bit light on experience but I think we have much better than the rest.

Kolbe isn't available due to 7s. Gelant isn't available due to injury (and susequent op) and Jesse Kriel is of course with the Bokke. That leaves Marais, Blommetjies and Taute though he might still be injured as well. I'd have had Marais over Zas. My 1st choice would've been Gelant though.

I would in the first place swap Skosan with Zas. Skosan actually started out as a fullback, while Zas is out and out a winger in my opinion.

SP Marais is another choice yes, and Gelant isn't injured anymore so he could just as well have been selected. The other options are Marnitz Boshoff, Blommetjies and Johan Goosen (but yeah, he's not in SA).

Back to the forwards. Botha, Mohoje and van der Merwe are all Springboks. Jenkins and Snyman are great as a pair and future Springboks in my view. Du Toit, Marx and Jean-Luc could easily take the place of the guys currently playing for the Boks.

Latest posts