• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: Fiji vs. Georgia (24/06/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Fiji.png
Versus%20Pro%20D2.png
Georgia.png

Venue: ANZ National Stadium, Suva
Time: 05:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Georgia Squad:
1-Karlen Asieshvili
2-Jaba Bregvadze
3-Irakli Mirtskhulava
4-Giorgi Chkhaidze
5-Giorgi Nemsadze
6-Shalva Sutiashvili
7-Giorgi Tkhilaishvili
8-Beka Bitsadze

9-Giorgi Begadze
10-Lasha Khmaladze
11-Sandro Todua
12-Merab Sharikadze
13-David Katcharava
14-Giorgi Pruidze
15-Merab Kvirikashvili

16-Shalva Mamukashvili
17-Zurab Zhvania
18-Nika Khatiashvili
19-Nodar Tcheishvili
20-Lasha Lomidze
21-Vazha Khutsishvili
22-Lasha Malaguradze
23- Saba Shubitidze

Fiji Squad:

1-Peni Ravai
2-Sunia Koto
3-Taniela Koroi
4-Savenaca Tabakanalagi
5-Tevita Cavubati
6-Naulia Dawai
7-Mosese Voka
8-Eremasi Radrodro

9-Nemia Kenatale
10-Ben Volavola
11-Patrick Osborne
12-Eroni Vasiteri
13-Adriu Delai
14-Savenaca Rawaca
15-Benito Masilevu

16-Viliame Veikoso
17-Campese Maáfu
18-Mesake Doge
19-Nemia Soqeta
20-Malakai Ravulo
21-Henry Seniloli
22-Seremaia Bai
23-Vereniki Goneva

Referees:
JP doyle (England)
ass. George Clancy (Ireland)
ass James Leckie (Australia)

Georgia won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fiji 3 - 14 Georgia.

Final result of tour:

Samoa 19 - 19 Georgia
Tonga 20 - 23 Georgia
Fiji 3 - 14 Georgia

Undefeated in this tour. Lelos will fly back to Georgia today. Great Result

this is great news for Georgia, they clearly have benifited from playing better teams in the WC last year.

2016 November tests:

1st - Georgia vs Japan
2nd - Georgia vs Samoa
3d - Scotland vs Georgia --> now that match will be outstanding...

We want next teams to visit Tbilisi 2017 November tests:

1st - Georgia vs Tonga
2nd - Georgia vs Wales
3d - Georgia vs France

We want next teams to visit Tbilisi 2018 November tests:

1st - Georgia vs Samoa
2nd - Georgia vs Fiji
3d - Georgia vs Argentina

2016 November tests:

1st - Georgia vs Japan
2nd - Georgia vs Samoa
3d - Scotland vs Georgia --> now that match will be outstanding...

We want next teams to visit Tbilisi 2017 November tests:

1st - Georgia vs Tonga
2nd - Georgia vs Wales
3d - Georgia vs France

We want next teams to visit Tbilisi 2018 November tests:

1st - Georgia vs Samoa
2nd - Georgia vs Fiji
3d - Georgia vs Argentina

I feel like they should be playing Italy as well, if they can fairly consistently then that might merit the argument for them to be in the six nations

Those are some eye opening results away from home. If the Pacific Island teams were putting out their first teams (which looks questionable judging from the Fiji lineup?) then this was all massively impressive from Georgia. Even if it was against second strings then it is still relevant as you could see Scotland struggle last week against a far from first choice Japan lineup.

The teams Georgia is facing in November are going to be competitive and its vital they face teams ranked in the 8-12 area regularly now (plus Italy) so that Autumn test lineup looks decent. Surely with Georgia about to hit 11th in the World Rankings (maybe even 10th?) it is impossible to ignore the need to lend them assistance in their development by more regular fixtures against tier 1 & 2 teams?

You can tell World Rugby are, for understandable reasons (money), dying to develop the USA and Japan markets as a priority. But just because Georgia is located far away from any other major rugby playing nation and isn't the largest and wealthiest country, does not mean it shouldn't be prioritised too. I get the feeling Georgia (and Romania) have been neglected a little. I'd love to see efforts to introduce a Georgian (and Romanian) club side in the Pro 12 as I'm sure long term the Sunwolves & Jaguares will really help Japanese and Argentinian rugby.

Bruce_ma_goose Georgian clubs will appear on European cups after 2017-2018 season. Finances is granted by government and businessmen donations.

I really hope some t1 team will travel to Georgia for a test match on Dinamo Arena in front of 50,000 spectators.

Exactly. The main problem for Georgian clubs (and most of the sides) is travelling costs for a competition with little visibility, although it seems EPCR are trying to constitute a real third competition due to the interest from sponsors.

Georgian Clubs will appear from next season on Challenge cup. Finances are gathered and planned for following years to pay Great10 champion enough for travelling, training, wages, coaching stuff and everything else.

Cant wait to see Lelo Saracens vs English and French clubs.

What's the Georgian domestic scene like? Is the majority of the team based overseas?

I hope Georgians correct and forgive me if I'm mistaken. Didi 10 isn't a fully professionnal league like those existing in Romania or Russia, but the level isn't bad at all and foreign sides touring from time to time there usually have a hard time. But you are right, the majority of the team is based in France, with lots of young guys formed in French academies.

I hope Georgians correct and forgive me if I'm mistaken. Didi 10 isn't a fully professionnal league like those existing in Romania or Russia, but the level isn't bad at all and foreign sides touring from time to time there usually have a hard time. But you are right, the majority of the team is based in France, with lots of young guys formed in French academies.
Hmm well half of the clubs are Professional and the other half are Semi-Pro. The Top 4 teams are pretty good.

Osezno great10 is semi-pro league.

it could be far better if Georgia Romania and Russia create one league 4-4 teams each + 1 German, 1 Spanish 1 Belgian clubs. 15 club league with 20 million annual budget can possibly become pro league and develop Rugby.

it could be far better if Georgia Romania and Russia create one league 4-4 teams each + 1 German, 1 Spanish 1 Belgian clubs. 15 club league with 20 million annual budget can possibly become pro league and develop Rugby.

That would be good to see, but two questions. 20 million what and where is it going to come from? If you're talking pounds, I'd think that given the travelling involved, it's on the lower end of what would be necessary.

Congratulations to Georgia, great to see progress in some of these regions, the Samoan result particularly impressed me.

I'm quite certain Georgia would be capable of beating Italy and Japan regularly and on occasion potentially Scotland, Argentina, Wales and France on an off day.

I didn't know about the European Challenge Cup Qualifiers until recently, but I think that is a very positive step and it's really good to see rugby giving up two Challenge Cup slots to teams in that competition. I think that shows a genuine effort to expand rugby into new territories and to raise the standard in existing areas with half decent club sides (Romania & Russia). It looks like it has grown year on year (I don't know the setup for next season if it will be still two pools of four teams each with playoff winners facing 2015/16 Challenge Cup teams). Hopefully in 2016/17 when Georgia gets a team in it they'll expand maybe to three pools of four based on geography to reduce travel costs. Hard to think of how it'd look but something like:

West (four clubs in total from Spain, Italy, Portugal (possibly Belgium, although their team seemed very poor and could be replaced))

Mid (four clubs in total from Italy, Romania, Germany)

East (four clubs in total from Georgia, Russia, maybe another Romania depending on strength of their respective leagues)

The winner of each group plus best second place team face off in playoffs (two legs) then winners face last years Challenge Cup teams (two legged playoff).

It'd give each club between three and seven games depending on how far they progressed and gives the good prize of playing in next season's Challenge Cup. It'd also probably spice up domestic competition in places like Georgia as you'd know you have a chance to play European rugby if you win your domestic league.

The fact is the Challenge Cup qualifiers exist and are approved and encouraged by rugby authorities in Europe. So I think it'd be best to feed into that process just now rather than plan an independent pan-European league before the game has really grown in these countries. Maybe in 5-10 years if club rugby takes off in Eastern Europe it'd become feasible financially, but that is far from guaranteed.

Last edited:

Latest posts