• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jonathan Davies & Gavin Hastings name their Lions XV predictions

TRF_Fullback

Bench Player
Country Flag
UK
Former British & Irish Lions captain Gavin Hastings & former dual-code Wales International Jonathan Davies went head-to-head at the Hong Kong 7s recently to name their post-6 Nations starting British & Irish Lions line-ups to face the Wallabies in Australia this summer. The pair debated their selections and reassessed their previous choices, before naming their [...]

Read the full article at Jonathan Davies & Gavin Hastings name their Lions XV predictions
The story above was posted on our rugby blog. Click the link above to read the full article and then use this thread to discuss the story :)

Don't think either one is too awful. Unsurprisingly there's an unbelievably biased Welsh side there... But they won the 6N so at least he's got something backing him this time.

I know Gray is out of form but I'd still be surprised if he doesn't tour, so I don't see that as out of the realm of possibility.

Robshaw at 8 is :eek: stuff, and so is a centres partnership of Davies and Tuilagi - Can't Pass, Won't Pass! Jiffy's backline would be so stultifying I'm not sure I'd bother tuning in... in fact, it would have been better if he'd picked the entire Welsh team.

I wonder if england had one the last game how different the selections would be they both seem to have very short term memory.

Yeah, I think the Welsh are being overly hyped to say the least. I mean, this was a side that was absolutely dismantled in Dublin at the start of the year.

One of my other concerns about a Welsh heavy side is what I believe to be a serious mental weakness in the Welsh set up. To say they're a confidence side is to put it mildly. Should they get a head of steam up they can be great. But lose a game or two and they go to ****, see last year as an example. In my mind that's the exact opposite of what you want in a touring side. If we lose the first test we need to be able to bounce back. That's why I'd like to see a large English contingent tour. Say whatever else about them, they have a great core of self belief. That's why, despite not being massively better than the other home nations sides, they're able to win in the Southern Hemisphere or beat the All Blacks comfortably. I want to see that kind of attitude in this Lions side.

Yeah, I think the Welsh are being overly hyped to say the least. I mean, this was a side that was absolutely dismantled in Dublin at the start of the year.

One of my other concerns about a Welsh heavy side is what I believe to be a serious mental weakness in the Welsh set up. To say they're a confidence side is to put it mildly. Should they get a head of steam up they can be great. But lose a game or two and they go to ****, see last year as an example. In my mind that's the exact opposite of what you want in a touring side. If we lose the first test we need to be able to bounce back. That's why I'd like to see a large English contingent tour. Say whatever else about them, they have a great core of self belief. That's why, despite not being massively better than the other home nations sides, they're able to win in the Southern Hemisphere or beat the All Blacks comfortably. I want to see that kind of attitude in this Lions side.

Cardiff :rolleyes:

We lost to Ireland ffs.
No Welsh should play until we rectify this.
Feic, gather the lads for a quick match before the Lions tour, will you?

We lost to Ireland ffs.
No Welsh should play until we rectify this.
Feic, gather the lads for a quick match before the Lions tour, will you?

Well, it's not a great time at the moment. Peter O'Mahony's Pitbull Terrier has strep throat and Rory Best is pretty tied up with a Salsa class he's taking.

Girvan Dempsey and Trevor Brennan are both up for it though.

Does anyone realize how things have gone with Jonathan Davies at 13, especially against Australia? How it turned out for Wales? Do they think it will be different?

He's been massively explored by all Wallabies' backline since RWC, in each game he failed in defence as he often act alone, out of the defensive line, creating gaps and holes.

If the Lions are going to put Davies there, they're definetly screwed!

Last edited:
He'd be even worse playing at 12 alongside whoever at 13, his passing, when he chooses to do it, is hilarious.

Well, it's not a great time at the moment. Peter O'Mahony's Pitbull Terrier has strep throat and Rory Best is pretty tied up with a Salsa class he's taking.

Girvan Dempsey and Trevor Brennan are both up for it though.

Add Bernard Jackman and you have a deal.

After seeing jiffys team I'm officially getting myself a cork hat blow up kangaroo and a gold and green shirt.

I think it's all a bit false if you don't have a full match squad rather than the starting team . The bench is so important in test rugby now .

jiffy is just picking that from the last game . But if that's the case there's a world XV next week and the all blacks got stuffed in their last game so none of them are getting picked . Even carter ! Priestland is in instead ;)

Last edited:
I'd love it if Davies' prediction came to pass. No Irishmen flogging themselves for a meaningless tour is fine by me. I'd much rather they get a summer off.

Latest posts