• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Izzy Folau

i haven't read the article, does he mean literally God spoke to him or some sort of metaphor? ...literally hearing a voice in his head makes me wonder about his well being

i haven't read the article, does he mean literally God spoke to him or some sort of metaphor? ...literally hearing a voice in his head makes me wonder about his well being

"As Folau told his church congregation on Sunday he had resisted a number of chances to smooth things over with RA because he believed that path was "Satan's work", it emerged he told the three-person panel determining his fate that a message from God had led to his April 10 posts."​

Godmademedoit! That sound like voices in his head to me!

What a monumental fruitcake.

Funny how God appears to spend a disproportionately large time telling people to be arseholes and next to no time having a little chat with people telling them to play nice.

That was Merson. I'm talking about the resident panel member on Have I Got News For You ? Or more presciently, the presenter of Room 101.

Never heard of him or those!

Should Israel have kept his beliefs against homosexuality secret?

Not kept secret as much as just STFU about it.

He certainly should not have shouted it out to anyone and everyone who can read an Instagram post. He would have to be completely tone deaf not to realise it was going to annoy his bosses and the public and other teammates (such as David Pocock).

^^^^
As someone pointed out much earlier in the thread he appears to be under the influence of a cult-like sect of Christianity and now he appears somewhat delusional.

You have to have concern for the bloke. He was offered a way out and specifically decided not to take it. I wonder if in 5-10 years we'll be hearing about how he regrets throwing away his career.

If he's hearing voices he needs to be medically evaluated
thats what i was leading towards, lots of religious people claim god spoke to them...but generally them mean metaphorically as in an opportunity arose to do something good or even just a direction in life became clear....lots of people in hospitals claim to have heard an actual voice....

Should Israel have kept his beliefs against homosexuality secret?
If he had wanted to operate in line with the code of conduct he agreed to when signing his multi-million pound contract that financially could have set him up for life, he should have certainly not posted his beliefs about homosexuals on Instagram.

In the more general case he can share his views and they can be challenged, but be conscious that actions he takes have consequences.

Not kept secret as much as just STFU about it.
So basically, keep it secret is what he should've done.

It's a tricky one because a wee while ago, homosexuals had to keep their sexuality a secret or in the closet as they'd say.

^^^^
As someone pointed out much earlier in the thread he appears to be under the influence of a cult-like sect of Christianity and now he appears somewhat delusional.
No it's not. Pacific Islanders have deep christian beliefs. Islanders are not part of any cults.

No it's not. Pacific Islanders have deep christian beliefs. Islanders are not part of any cults.
The way i read it descri ed it as very cultlike and definitely not in line with regular christian or islander beliefs. Might have been bullshit though?

If he had wanted to operate in line with the code of conduct he agreed to when signing his multi-million pound contract that financially could have set him up for life, he should have certainly not posted his beliefs about homosexuals on Instagram.

In the more general case he can share his views and they can be challenged, but be conscious that actions he takes have consequences.
That contract basically wanted him to keep his beliefs a secret. I agree that he should've kept it to himself. As long as there is no hate.

Hi chaps.

I've done some checking, and (as you guys have suggested) it appears that the Bible does not expressly say that gay people will go to hell. As already cited above though, it does say (in one chapter) that gay people should be murdered !!

On this basis, I'd be interested to look again at both the Bible question, and the Folau question:

FOLAU
What he has written is an interpretation which he has given to what was written in the Bible. If he had instead simply repeated Leviticus's contention that gay people should be murdered, instead of providing his own interpretation about going to hell, should his actions be looked at with more leniency than in the current circumstances, or is it just as bad notwithstanding that he doesn't interpret anything himself ?

THE BIBLE
On the basis that the Bible appears to state that gay people should be murdered, should the Bible be regarded as contravening legislation which makes disparaging people based on their sexuality illegal ?

Thoughts ?

Not murdered, be put to death. There is a difference.

And this is just another example of how times have changed, as many Christian countries no longer have the Death Sentence as a form of criminal punishment and that it's against the most basic of human rights, which is to live.

What bothers me is that Folau doesn't seems to distinguish between human rights and the religious texts and their interpretations. What I mean by this is that at our church, we have 3 other books/scripts/literature we use to educate and follow. And these scripts also tells us about discipline, and disciplinary action, by either the church or the council. And these scripts are a form of making the bible more current, without editing the bible.

Now after the latest article and Folau hearing voices, it seems to me that he's taking everything way too literal from the Bible. But he himself, is also not following the scripture, as the Bible clearly states that you must "love thy neighbour". In Afrikaans we say "Jy moet jou naaste lief hê soos jouself". Which translates to: You must love the person the closest to you like you love yourself. Now this doesn't necessarily mean love the person who is the most dearest to you like your spouse/parents/children, it can also mean the one in closest proximity to you at any given point or time, or whoever is in your thoughts at a specified time.

This in essence mean that you must not have hatred towards anyone at any point in time. And here is where Folau is missing the point completely.

The way i read it descri ed it as very cultlike and definitely not in line with regular christian or islander beliefs. Might have been bullshit though?
Assemblies or A.O.Gs are not cults, I can assure you. You would've come across some living in Aus and thought nothing weird about them.