• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

It’s going to hurt for awhile - Ireland 2024

Rumours around James Ryan is the new Irish captain.
If true I'd hope Ringrose takes Leinster captaincy solo and let James just do Ireland.
And also if true then best of luck to James. He will do great

Last edited:
the camp has done very well to keep it under wraps. Feel bad for POM really, if Johnny didn't have GOATed longevity he'd have had his run at captain and deserved it. Age profile and Baird and Ahern breathing down his neck working against him.

Big challenge for Ryan leading a team that will be in a slow transition for the next 4+ years really but I've always found him to be a player who improves in the captain role.

the camp has done very well to keep it under wraps. Feel bad for POM really, if Johnny didn't have GOATed longevity he'd have had his run at captain and deserved it. Age profile and Baird and Ahern breathing down his neck working against him.

Big challenge for Ryan leading a team that will be in a slow transition for the next 4+ years really but I've always found him to be a player who improves in the captain role.
POM lioks likely to depart but equally has 18months max. And that coming from someone who knows his body and I say in bold MAX
POM is the best candidate by a mile for the "now". But we need a longer term view. Not now and another transition in November at a time Faz is away.
And that before as you mention the backrow is flooded now Hodnett and Ahern are on fire for us all season. Both deserve to be capped. Van Der Flier is a World Player of Year. Baird a serious player. I'm not his biggest fan but Conan has been superb since returning to Leinster. That before I mention Doris and I think David McCann is coming in to the conversation in next 6 months

Two Sale players in Ireland's u20s, you thieving thieving bar stewards

Patreece Bell (tighthead prop) and Will Wootton (scrumhalf)

Bell is highly rated, on loan at/getting plenty of game time with Sedgley atm (level below the championship)
Wootton very young, only just turned 18 I think - got a couple of appearances in the Prem cup pre-season

Both were in England u18s - Will last year, Patreece year before

Two Sale players in Ireland's u20s, you thieving thieving bar stewards

Patreece Bell (tighthead prop) and Will Wootton (scrumhalf)

Bell is highly rated, on loan at/getting plenty of game time with Sedgley atm (level below the championship)
Wootton very young, only just turned 18 I think - got a couple of appearances in the Prem cup pre-season

Both were in England u18s - Will last year, Patreece year before
At least with Ireland they would have to move there to play for their seniors.

Dirty old town is about Salford (we even played it for you in the RDS this year) and that's enough to make any Sale player more Irish than they are English as far as I'm concerned.

Dirty old town is about Salford (we even played it for you in the RDS this year) and that's enough to make any Sale player more Irish than they are English as far as I'm concerned.
Written by an Englishman and made famous by a band from London 🤔

Claiming English things as Irish...now it makes sense why you hoover up all our coaches and players

Alex showed a video of him maybe 2 uears ago he was playing schools over. Looks a serious player. Alex still lives here slso so he has a room for when he joins us
My fat fingers mispelled a few words :D
Just had look at that video again as had it on the drive. Did he play for England at some stage as some clips are in an English jersey.

My fat fingers mispelled a few words :D
Just had look at that video again as had it on the drive. Did he play for England at some stage as some clips are in an English jersey.
Yeah, u18s
Think he's actually still eligible for the u18s now, so surprising to see him picked in the u20s
Getting your claws in early

A bit underwhelming to be honest, standard continuation for Ireland following a World Cup. Can't really say it doesn't work though as we've been the best team in the world at some point in the previous two cycles.

Deserved for POM, wonder if this means all the contract rumours are bogus or if he's being given his send off as captain. Both definitely within Farrell's wheelhouse.

A bit underwhelming to be honest, standard continuation for Ireland following a World Cup. Can't really say it doesn't work though as we've been the best team in the world at some point in the previous two cycles.

Deserved for POM, wonder if this means all the contract rumours are bogus or if he's being given his send off as captain. Both definitely within Farrell's wheelhouse.

The opposite. Rumours now that Farrell has said POM could be a Lions player. He will get a 1 year central deal and retire next year. James Ryan was set to captain up to last few hours.

From a Munster POV how Ahern isn't in full squad is strange but how John Hodnett isnt there is bewildering. Fully deserved it on form.

Anyways it is what it is let's hope they stat well as a win in France is massive

Yeah, u18s
Think he's actually still eligible for the u18s now, so surprising to see him picked in the u20s
Getting your claws in early
He definitely must have an academy spot in works and I'd fully expect it to be with us if he does. Alex came through the same programme althought the exiles programme has changed recently I believe.

The opposite. Rumours now that Farrell has said POM could be a Lions player. He will get a 1 year central deal and retire next year. James Ryan was set to captain up to last few hours.
This might be true but I don't believe it for a second lol! If Farrell is prioritising the Lions at this point we're ******, and he's too professional imo.
From a Munster POV how Ahern isn't in full squad is strange but how John Hodnett isnt there is bewildering. Fully deserved it on form.
Prendergast left out too and Penny not within an arse's roar. So much depth in the back row and with three guys on form he's picked the best athlete in Timoney. Fine margins and tough decisions but a good place to be.

Latest posts