• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ITM Cup - Round 5

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Round 5 of the ITM Cup kicks off in Invercargill tonight, with the Mighty1​ Southland Stags facing the Mightier2​ Otago Razorbacks. Who will win the battle of the ungulates3​?

Round 5 Fixtures

Thursday 6th September:
Southland.png
Versus%20Magners.png
Otago.png

Rugby Park Stadium, Invercargill. 7.35pm.
Friday 7th September:

Taranaki.png
Versus%20Magners.png
Hawkes%20Bay.png

Yarrow Stadium, New Plymouth. 6.05pm.
***RANFURLY SHIELD CHALLENGE***

Counties%20Manukau.png
Versus%20Magners.png
Bay%20of%20Plenty.png

ECO Light Stadium, Pukekohe. 8.05pm.
Saturday 8th September:

Auckland.png
Versus%20Magners.png
Waikato.png

Eden Park, Auckland. 2.35pm.

Canterbury.png
Versus%20Magners.png
Wellington.png

AMI Stadium (Addington), Christchurch. 4.35pm.
Sunday 9th September:
Manawatu.png
Versus%20Magners.png
Tasman.png

FMG Stadium, Palmerston North. 2.35pm.

Northland.png
Versus%20Magners.png
North%20Harbour.png

Toll Stadium, Whangarei. 4.35pm

1​ As they are part of the Highlanders franchise region
2​ In my humble opinion
3​ Google it.

1​ fair enough
2​ and mine
3​ i did but got confused...hoofed kind of animals?

GO THE RAZORBACKS!

1​ fair enough
2​ and mine
3​ i did but got confused...hoofed kind of animals?

GO THE RAZORBACKS!

Yep, any ungulate is any hoofed animal such as a:
hogClassic1.jpg
or a
Z9520140-Rutting_red_deer_stag-SPL.jpg

Who would have guessed that I am a zoologist ;)

Looking forward to the Otago v Southland match, and I think we have a genuine chance of winning. The two lineups are as follows:

Southland:
Marty McKenzie, Kade Poki, Nathan Hohaia, Cardiff Vaega, Tim Cornforth, Robbie Robinson, Jimmy Cowan, Scott McKee, Alex Taylor, Hoani Macdonald, Michael Fatialofa, Josh Bekhuis, Nic Barrett, Talemaitoga Tuapati, Jamie Mackintosh (capt).Reserves: Jason Rutledge, Tukiterangi Raimona, Ben Nally, Dion Bates, Nemia Kenatale, Mark Wells, Junior Ngaluafe.

Otago:
Tony Ensor, Marshall Suckling, Jayden Spence, Glenn Dickson, Buxton Popoali'i, Hayden Parker, Fumiaki Tanaka, Paul Grant (capt), Lee Allan, T J Ioane, Rob Verbakel, Tom Franklin, Tama Tuirirangi, Liam Coltman, Scott Manson. Reserves: Shota Horie, Aki Seuli, Gareth Evans, Adam Hill, Brad Weber, Peter Breen, Michael Collins.

Southland are really struggling with injury, so look particularly vulnerable. Robinson is wasted at 10 (as he is usually very average there!), and they have had a ridiculous amount of injuries to their loosies. Though we are missing our AB's I like the look of the Otago team. This is mainly because we have decided to play players in their correct positions this week - we have 3 props in the 22 (rather than 3 hookers), we have a lock starting at lock, and have moved Spence back to his more familiar position in the midfield. Looking forward to a couple of matchups in the outside backs, in particular Ensor versus McKenzie (two very promising fullbacks), and Popoali'i vs Poki.

good to get a another win under our belt, closed out a game in bad conditions, is parker a tony brown rather than a carlos spencer (good solid kicker rather than a risk taker)?

these pics show them better (how can i make the pics bigger? have to click on them to get full size)

2-speights-highlanders-stag.jpg2-speights-highlander-boar.jpg

good to get a another win under our belt, closed out a game in bad conditions, is parker a tony brown rather than a carlos spencer (good solid kicker rather than a risk taker)?

these pics show them better (how can i make the pics bigger? have to click on them to get full size)

View attachment 1901View attachment 1900

Yep, good to get the win, even if we probably didn't deserve it! Southland probably should have had a good lead at half time, but couldn't seem to get the ball down once they got over the try line. We did manage to close it out well though when the rain set in, which was great to see.

As I predicted before the game Robinson was pretty poor at 10 for the Stags (barring the one good chip kick leading to Southland's try) - Hayden Parker was by far the better of the two 10's on display. I would describe Parker as more or a 'Mehrtens' than a 'Brown' - he controls the game well, but does have the pace to go through gaps if they appear (as he demonstrated last night), and (unfourtunately) his defense is a bit 'Mehrtens' like too. If he keeps up his strong form he will be a good shot a replacing the departed Noakes in the Highlanders squad. There weren't really that many standouts from either team for me - I like the look of young Vaega, and both McKenzie and Ensor were pretty solid in difficult conditions. Suckling had a solid debut - I'm not yet sure he has the pace/power to be a starting wing at this level, but he does have a great work-rate. Paul Grant was good again, while Ioane had a much better match after a couple of very poor first up games.

(no idea how to make the images bigger - I think it has something to to with the type of file you use....)

bay of plenty what a bunch of pathetic XXXX

Losing ****ing 34-8 at half time, ****ing prideless pathetic little girls

So Taranaki retain the Shield for another week, while Championship side Counties hammered Premiership side Bay of Plenty 47-13 in Pukekohe. It is great to see Counties playing such superb rugby, and you feel they are now clear favourites to win the Championship this season.

Anybody watching Auckland v Waikato?
Probably should sleep if I want to watch the RC matches later...

Weather hardly helping, but not much on show here.
Nice try for Bradley, solid setup from his tight five.

Some of Waikato's defence - see Auckland's last try - makes me want to die.

Waikato have been in some great positions but failed to capitalise on them.
Auckland making the most of what they have been given.

Oh, honestly? Why kick it? Waste...

Last edited:
God almighty, Piers Francis the Waikato first five is a complete ********. Last week went for a stupid dropgoal at the end of the game, this week does a stupid chip. What the **** is wrong with him?

Waikato have been in some great positions but failed to capitalise on them.
Auckland making the most of what they have been given.

Oh, honestly? Why kick it? Waste...

God almighty, Piers Francis the Waikato first five is a complete ********. Last week went for a stupid dropgoal at the end of the game, this week does a stupid chip. What the **** is wrong with him?

He is English. It is all they know ;)

Latest posts