• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ITM Cup - Round 3

Hang on, I thought you were Ben Smith...
Something doesn't seem right.

No, I have had to face reality. I am not Ben Smith. I can only ever dream of being as good as him - that is why I am stuck playing rugby for a poor team like Canterbury ;)

Anyways.... I have to say I was very impressed by the try scorer in question (McNicholl), and not for the first time. He was good last season, but he has been on fire so far this season. I think the Crusaders will be keen to pursue him, but I understand that the Blues have been in talks with him, and I wouldn't mind seeing him come down to the Highlanders! He is quite a big guy, and seems to have plenty of pace, but his best attribute is that he reads the game so well - he always seems to be in the right place at the right time.

Very convincing win for Canterbury in the end, 36-3.

Here is the high scoring game I promised a few hours ago - Taranaki leading Tasman 32-27... after 36 minutes!

Baker, Naholo, and Barrett have all looked very dangerous for Taranaki, while Lowe and Betham have looked sharp for Tasman (and their two props have scored rather unusual tries for props!). Hoeata has shown why he shouldn't be near the AB's - he should have been yellow-carded already for a high tackle....

Good to see ex-Biarrot Campbell Johnstone score a winger's try.............no doubt he will be leading the celebrations?!!

Full-time: Taranaki win 49-40, and hold the Shield for at least another week.

Very disappointed with the standard of reffing in the Waikato game today, I know referees have to make the step up at some point, but sigh.

Very disappointed with the standard of reffing in the Waikato game today, I know referees have to make the step up at some point, but sigh.

I didn't see the match - who was a ref, and what was poor about his performance? Overall I have been pretty happy with the performance of the refs so far, but there have been a few that have looked out of their depth.

A couple of interesting matches today - Auckland are big favourites to beat Manawatu, but I feel they are very vulnerable. It is their third game in a week, and they they have a number of injury problems (they have had to call up two 18-year olds onto their bench!).

I couldn't tell you his name. It's almost certainly his first season, a Pacific guy with a double barrelled name. His decision making was a bit all over the place at times. Normally I wouldn't say it was game changing or anything, but when you get a score difference of only two points you never know.

Could be some tackling practice this week for manawatu, falling off so many tackles. This could get uglier.

Could be some tackling practice this week for manawatu, falling off so many tackles. This could get uglier.

Yep, a lot of one-on-one tackles missed by Manawatu so far. 50 up for Auckland now...

Glad I'm not the only one, I hate coming to this forum and *****ing about refs but that was a very very poor showing all round. From all 4 refs.

Northlands first try came with a blatant shoulder charge and knock on from Northland

lineouts were bad, Waikato were done for a not straight then Northland threw about 4 in a row that were not straight and got away with it. Surely when the throw goes to the front it should be nearer the middle and not directly in the line of the side throwing in. With that angle it would end up at the 2nd fives feet if it was long. Opposition have absolutely no chance to contest.

Try later awarded by the TMO that went to northland was a knock on even the guy who cored was surprised he was awarded the try, it was close but looking closely there was no evedence that he grounded it and a far bit to say that he didn't. His body language straight away showed he did not score then the replay confirmed it. Crazy.

on the teams, I think Waikato really showed the flu that has ripped through the camp this week that even caused them to cancel a training session. Leonard was struck down and even though he was one of their best players he was struggling to get to rucks and clear the ball before he went off early. And unfortunately the young guy on debut did not do very well in his place.

Sam Cristie had a shocker. Some poor kicks, basic mistakes and the stupid yellow card. Bring back beaver! think they should bring Renata to 10.

Lots of players just did not look themselves in the last 30min, maybe showing signs of the sickness going through the squad.

For Northland, ranger was very good. Also Think Dan Prior is looking good this year. Bulked up a bit, maybe ready for more time in super rugby next year in place of Dan Braid.

Latest posts