• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is Super Rugby economically sustainable?

Can I just point out for the record as well that due to Canada's size there is a vast disparity in regional economic strength, Alberta for example is a lot wealthier than Hamilton or Winnipeg. Toronto is much better off than rural Newfoundland. Here is chart on weekly earnings by province, you'll see Alberta and some of the mining heavy territories are much higher than other provinces let alone differences WITHIN provinces.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/labr79-eng.htm

Last edited:
Loving the free entertainment :D. I wonder how long we can keep this going?

Oh god help us! Sorry Conrad, I must have missed the economics lecture when our professor taught us to compare GDP per capita based on colors :eek: Are you kidding me?? You really are digging your self a bigger and bigger hole!

Thank you Fish, maybe he will listen to you?? I somehow doubt it though!!

And yes, don't get me started on the macro/micro thing. But if Conrad can't process numbers correctly, then I highly doubt he will be able to process basic economic concepts.

Loving the free entertainment :D. I wonder how long we can keep this going?

Bingo. The best thing about chatting with Conrad is its entertainment value. The guy will pop out in China soon if he keeps digging ;)

If we are to make a CAREFUL analysis we will be hours and hours. The point is that there is not much difference if you compare with ALL the world. You have to compare with other countries. NZ has a similar level of Europe, North America life (Except Mexico) and some countries in Asia (Japan). That's indisputable. I said SIMILAR not equal, S-I-M-I-L-A-R

So because the difference between Canada and New Zealand is small relative to the difference between New Zealand and Ethiopia, they're considered similar sizes?

On that ground, Aaron Cruden and the Canadian number 10 are similarly talented, because the flyhalf for the Ethiopian team (as unofficial as it is) is considerably worse than both.

So because the difference between Canada and New Zealand is small relative to the difference between New Zealand and Ethiopia, they're considered similar sizes?

On that ground, Aaron Cruden and the Canadian number 10 are similarly talented, because the flyhalf for the Ethiopian team (as unofficial as it is) is considerably worse than both.

Haha, yup, brilliant! Yes sadly this appears to be his logic. :)

Conrad? you have the right of reply.....

No, maybe the difference between the alternative fly-half of The Pumas, Nicolas Sanchez, who recently wasn't a professional player. However, in the Rugby Championship, I didn't see much difference between Sanchez and Cruden, I would even say that Sanchez is better tackler than Cruden.

No, maybe the difference between the alternative fly-half of The Pumas, Nicolas Sanchez, who recently wasn't a professional player. However, in the Rugby Championship, I didn't see much difference between Sanchez and Cruden, I would even say that Sanchez is better tackler than Cruden.

Sorry, maybe I need the colour chart again, but how does any of what you have just said relate back to the per capita GDP of NZ and Canada being S-I-M-I-L-A-R? ;)

Sorry, maybe I need the colour chart again, but how does any of what you have just said relate back to the per capita GDP of NZ and Canada being S-I-M-I-L-A-R? ;)

Sorry, I'm talking with Mr Fish. You spend a lot of time to quote my forum posts. I'm not important enough to make me a chase, I'm just a simple rugby supporter, I'm not David Campese or Tana Umaga. I appreciate the importance you give me, but really, I'm not sooooo important.

Indeed you are a simple rugby supported, kindly stick to what you are simple at.

Bingo. The best thing about chatting with Conrad is its entertainment value. The guy will pop out in China soon if he keeps digging ;)

I am interested; did you say that because the typical use is to mention China or the fact that Argentina and China are indeed antipodes and one of the very few antipodes where dry land is opposite dry land?

I am interested; did you say that because the typical use is to mention China or the fact that Argentina and China are indeed antipodes and one of the very few antipodes where dry land is opposite dry land?

:D

I think he mentions China, because Conrad is actually Sigesige00's brother and they need meet on neutral grounds so that their home countries don't have reports of a Double-murder in the middle of the day where nobody cared, and nobody was taken into custody as it was seen as euthen(asia).

Yeah good spotting mate - for both reasons. I actually threw that one in there for Conrad but seems he didn't pick up on it.

Anyway, I think the point is that going to a game of rugby in New Zealand really isn't that expensive. I think it is a cop out. I currently don't go to the rugby much because I'm a student and going to the rugby isn't the sort of thing students go. On the weekends, I go to town, drink with my friends or maybe even study. Going to the rugby isn't something students do in Wellington. I don't think giving away free or cheap tickets is the answer. If you have special deals then you get a good crowd one weekend when you run the special deal but then people just wait for the deals and don't show up the next week. Having children go free days just devalues the product and makes it seem like you have to give tickets away.

I think boosting crowd numbers is linked with boosting the match going experience. I enjoy going to the rugby. You get different views of the action and you can just watch one player and really see how good their positional play is. However aside from that all of the other factors is in favour of watching from home. The food is better at home, it's warmer and requires no effort. I think one of the main atmosphere killers is the constant stream of pop music at every break in play. Generally the stadiums in New Zealand are not purpose built and give a poor view of the game. When there is wind and rain in Wellington there is almost no shelter from the rain. 100% of the seats should be covered at every ground. Super Rugby just isn't something the community actively engages in and people feel that the teams don't represent their communities.

Latest posts