• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is Gatland tarnishing his Welsh legacy?

dirty harry

First XV
I was chatting with some friends earlier tonight, and they were scathing so Gatland winning the spoon, and referred to his time at the Chiefs in the same way.

Their claims were that Gatland was poor with Ireland, inherited a once in a generation group with Wales, then failed with Chiefs before failing with Wales 2.0.

I'm struggling with this, Gatland is the most successful 6N coach, and BI lions coach I believe, but is he just a Pepe Guardiola who can with with superstars? Could any other Welsh coach have acheived what he did with the same group of players?

The one Welshman I know irl blames it more on the systemic issues. Garland's law not being broad enough, losing players to English universities, not taking care of youth players enough to make sure their transition to professionalism is smooth.

I'll make fun of him for their results but I don't think Welsh's current problems are his fault. Unless you want to pin the regionalization on him.

The one Welshman I know irl blames it more on the systemic issues. Garland's law not being broad enough, losing players to English universities, not taking care of youth players enough to make sure their transition to professionalism is smooth.

I'll make fun of him for their results but I don't think Welsh's current problems are his fault. Unless you want to pin the regionalization on him.
I agree with all of this, regionalisation hurt Welsh rugby, and one could argue that the golden generation of Warbs, Halfp and co came through the ranks of club junior system in the early mid 2000s...

Ireland were very different back then and was too early for him - only something like 38 when he left them.

With Wales he did well with a good group of players and is struggling with a poor group. No kidding. But he delivered 3 GS and if you're English 3 GS ago is 1995.

With the Lions he won one, drew one and lost one. Yes he rode his luck in NZ, but there's always a story.

So overall, fine. Not the Messiah, but not a particularly naughty boy either.

But definitely something in not going back.

Gatland was pretty harshly let go from Ireland also. In his last year he won 4/5 in the six nations including a win in the Stade de France and ended 12 year and 7 year droughts without wins to Scotland and England. He showed early signs of his faith in young and inexperienced players learning and growing at that level.

I think he always resented it and fairly enough. He then became the driving force of the rivalry Ireland and Wales have had over the past 15+ years.

I think he's a good coach and luckily came across a group of players perfectly suited to him in Wales which maximised his success but I don't think he was the most adaptable. Never beating NZ with Wales and his records since his first stint in Wales show me a guy who's let the game pass him by.

I don't think he has. The issues Wales are having is mostly down to years of bad behavior and leadership from the clubs and WRU. It's not all their fault of course as the money just isn't in the sport, but they've definitely not helped.

Latest posts