• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRFU RWC 2023 Bid Officially Confirmed

Nope it's 100% Ireland.

I'd be surprised if they got it, then, to be honest.
It's all politics with RWC bids - France/England/Wales/Scotland have nothing to gain by voting for Ireland, but could strengthen ties with a different union by voting for them (i.e. South Africa - making it easier to have money spinner tests/negotiate test revenue etc.).

When you think about it, a NH nation has never hosted a RWC solely on their own - even England, who are in the best state to do so and have the money to cover any shortfallings, had to get Wales on board.

I'd be surprised if they got it, then, to be honest.
It's all politics with RWC bids - France/England/Wales/Scotland have nothing to gain by voting for Ireland, but could strengthen ties with a different union by voting for them (i.e. South Africa - making it easier to have money spinner tests/negotiate test revenue etc.).

When you think about it, a NH nation has never hosted a RWC solely on their own - even England, who are in the best state to do so and have the money to cover any shortfallings, had to get Wales on board.

Your right about politics issue so can't argue there.
But for this bid we have the GAA who have stadiums but also it's 2 governments backing the bid. And stadiums are not in shortage. So we have all tools for hosting alone but I hope it doesn't come down to politics. Like I know you mentioned money spinning extra tests etc but I'd like to think Unions get that anyway if it's what both want

Sorry, but I really don't want Ireland to get this.

They don't have enough quality rugby stadiums - and I'm sick of the UK getting a RWC every second tournament. That said I guarantee that Ireland will get it over South Africa, Italy or Argentina (who I would much prefer) - because what's the bet that it will involve other UK unions getting to host matches.

Sorry, but I really don't want Ireland to get this.

They don't have enough quality rugby stadiums - and I'm sick of the UK getting a RWC every second tournament. That said I guarantee that Ireland will get it over South Africa, Italy or Argentina (who I would much prefer) - because what's the bet that it will involve other UK unions getting to host matches.
UK? wha?

Northern Ireland is still part of the UK correct?

And yes every second tournament.

1991 was hosted by Great Britain, Ireland and France
1999 was hosted by Wales with matches in England, Scotland, Ireland and France
2007 was hosted by France with matches in Scotland and Wales
2015 will be hosted in England with some games in Wales
2023 will probably be Ireland and Northern Ireland (and probably what ever other UK nationed endorces their bid..).

So point out to me where I am wrong in which ever second RWC will not see games hosted in the UK?

Last edited:
To be accurate I do believe that it is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland!

2023 will probably be Ireland and Northern Ireland (and probably what ever other UK nationed endorces their bid..).

So point out to me where I am wrong in which ever second RWC will not see games hosted in the UK?

That is where the money is!!!!

Last edited:
18.75% ain't a pass though buddy! ;) The bid is coming from Dublin and Belfast will only provide two stadiums, one of which will be for minnows only. Obviously I want it to happen and considering a lot of England's stadia are soccer grounds the fact that we'll use GAA ones being used as a negative doesn't carry for me. But I do understand your point of view to be fair. South Africa would be worse as it would read:
87 and 11 - NZ
91 and 15 - ENG
95 and 23 - SA
Throwing Japan in there doesn't really make it look any less backward.

I have to agree with Nick this will be yet another RWC in an extremely similar area to where half of them have been played already not to mention the fact I really think Irish fans are ignoring the fact they hosted games in 1991 and 1999(some of which received atrocious attendance numbers, Romania vs. United States in Dublin is the worst attended game in RWC history in 1999). Some of those potential GAA grounds will require serious upgrades in order to be RWC read.

I'd rather have the 2023 RWC in Italy or Argentina. That being said they haven't launched formal bids yet and my opinions could change based on the strength of those particular campaigns if/when they are launched.

I have to agree with Nick this will be yet another RWC in an extremely similar area to where half of them have been played already not to mention the fact I really think Irish fans are ignoring the fact they hosted games in 1991 and 1999(some of which received atrocious attendance numbers, Romania vs. United States in Dublin is the worst attended game in RWC history in 1999). Some of those potential GAA grounds will require serious upgrades in order to be RWC read.

I'd rather have the 2023 RWC in Italy or Argentina. That being said they haven't launched formal bids yet and my opinions could change based on the strength of those particular campaigns if/when they are launched.

The fact that we hosted a couple games 24 and 32 years before when the tournament will be should be ignored really, England and NZ have/will have hosted two within the same timespan. As a rugby nation we have far more tradition than either Italy or Argentina and considering both those nations could host no matter how big the sport gets I think it should be ours on merit, provided we have the stadia and all that goes with it, which we do.

There is a difference between hosting a couple of games and hosting a world cup.

The fact that we hosted a couple games 24 and 32 years before when the tournament will be should be ignored really, England and NZ have/will have hosted two within the same timespan. As a rugby nation we have far more tradition than either Italy or Argentina and considering both those nations could host no matter how big the sport gets I think it should be ours on merit, provided we have the stadia and all that goes with it, which we do.

It can't be ignored when half the reasons for hosting this I've seen from Irish fans is some bizarre argument they have an entitlement to host games. There have been four RWC's that have been easily accessible to Irish fans, two have had actual games in Ireland while a further two have been a ferry ride to short commuter flight away. Argentine fans(who don't have a "far" less tradition of rugby than Ireland) closest RWC was in South Africa in 1995, South African fans as well have had to travel vast differences since that 1995 event.

I'm not entirely convinced we wouldn't see games in Cardiff or Edinburgh either if this bid were to win approval.

A South African or Argentine bid could also serve as a proxy to grow the game in their continents as a whole, something an Irish bid can't possibly match. in fact there is very little possibility an Irish hosted RWC would grow the game anywhere.

All three other bids I've seen thrown around have no worse a stadium situation and in fact probably require even less upgrades than those GAA grounds, I suppose an Irish bid has an advantage of political stability/less corruption over those rival bidders but I don't see that as a game changer.

It can't be ignored when half the reasons for hosting this I've seen from Irish fans is some bizarre argument they have an entitlement to host games. There have been four RWC's that have been easily accessible to Irish fans, two have had actual games in Ireland while a further two have been a ferry ride to short commuter flight away. Argentine fans(who don't have a "far" less tradition of rugby than Ireland) closest RWC was in South Africa in 1995, South African fans as well have had to travel vast differences since that 1995 event.

I'm not entirely convinced we wouldn't see games in Cardiff or Edinburgh either if this bid were to win approval.

A South African or Argentine bid could also serve as a proxy to grow the game in their continents as a whole, something an Irish bid can't possibly match. in fact there is very little possibility an Irish hosted RWC would grow the game anywhere.

All three other bids I've seen thrown around have no worse a stadium situation and in fact probably require even less upgrades than those GAA grounds, I suppose an Irish bid has an advantage of political stability/less corruption over those rival bidders but I don't see that as a game changer.

Agree with all of this, and those Cardiff type games would be a near certainty I reckon. If France and England both ended up having to offer games there, then there's little chance Ireland would as well.

nick and Leetol Goy do make a point...it always seems to take place up there, doesn't it. I'm still favorable for the sheer concept Ireland should host one, but it WOULD be UK area again, it's true... Some games would indeed take place on actual UK ground (Northern Ireland), AGAIN, and yeah there'd probably be a few games around the area. Maybe if this came a bit later ? And just for pure ideology, that it happens in the Republic of Ireland exclusively and nowhere else so we can say it's not in the UK again !! :p

I must also agree Argentina don't have "far less" Rugby tradition than Ireland, but that's not even an argument anyways.
Would definitely be exotic and new as fk if we saw ARG or ITA get it..

Yeah I don't know now, I'm mixed. My phallus doesn't point in one direction firmly and vigorously as before, it is in a partial knot pattern.

The only pattern so far has been SH/NH in alternate years...

I expect this will switch primarily to an alternating pattern between established and emerging countries, with the NH/SH pattern preferable but secondary in importance.

I'd imagine 2023 will go to SA/Italy/Argentina - SA being the obvious "Banker" host, and Italy/Argentina being somewhere in between established and emerging.
2027 will probably go to the USA.

Unless Japan's tournament goes badly then I can't see any of the 6N/RC nations outside of Argentina/Italy getting a tournament.

The only pattern so far has been SH/NH in alternate years...

I expect this will switch primarily to an alternating pattern between established and emerging countries, with the NH/SH pattern preferable but secondary in importance.

I'd imagine 2023 will go to SA/Italy/Argentina - SA being the obvious "Banker" host, and Italy/Argentina being somewhere in between established and emerging.
2027 will probably go to the USA.

Unless Japan's tournament goes badly then I can't see any of the 6N/RC nations outside of Argentina/Italy getting a tournament.

I'd be shocked if North America got one that early. The big problem with having one over here is the timing of the event. It would likely have to be in the spring as going up against gridiron(and the end of the baseball season) would be suicidal not to mention the problem of stadium availability. While I think the Tier One games would be well attended I think minnows matches would likely end up being in half empty stadiums. I would think NA would be in more consideration in the 2030's/40's. An Argentine hosted RWC would also likely delay an NA hosted RWC for a cycle or so.

Obviously I'd love to have a World Cup here. Even if rugby isn't the most popular sport here (although it is probably the fastest growing) the Irish people have shown that they'll turn up to any spoting event. There's also the fact that a lot of these people wouldn't normally be able to go the internationals due to the sponsorship rules Aviva have which would aid attendance. There'd also be a good amount of travelling fans obviously.I wouldn't want SA to have it to be honest as they have already solely hosted one, which despite us having the odd game we haven't done.If we don't get it I'd probably want Argentina to get it but they really need to improve their broadcasting. The camera work is generally terrible with a lot of the angles etc clearly generally being soccer ones.

I'd be shocked if North America got one that early. The big problem with having one over here is the timing of the event. It would likely have to be in the spring as going up against gridiron(and the end of the baseball season) would be suicidal not to mention the problem of stadium availability. While I think the Tier One games would be well attended I think minnows matches would likely end up being in half empty stadiums. I would think NA would be in more consideration in the 2030's/40's. An Argentine hosted RWC would also likely delay an NA hosted RWC for a cycle or so.

Maybe... it's just that I can see a lot of people in WR yearning for the dollarz.

Can I say who cares what country can grow the game fast etc. I'm in a bit of a ****** off mood after Munster BUT it's simply who puts up the best bid. We've put forward our bid showing we have all the relative stadiums, infrastructure and financial backing. Now it's up to others to do likewise and may best bid win simple.

Latest posts