Ireland v Italy

Leinster Fan

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Are mods putting up the match threads for the warm ups? Happy to take this down if I shouldn't be putting this up.

But anyway, Ireland v Italy
13:30 on Saturday 10 August
It's on RTE 2 and will give me something to do instead of getting overly worried about the Dublin game.

So long as we avoid injuries and play well enough to win fairly comfortably I'll be happy.

I can't see us playing any starting XV players this game, play them in the third warm up game and leave it there. Bizarrely this is the third time we play Italy in the past 12 months and I can only imagine this will be as forgettable as the November game and as disappointing to the neutral as the 6n game!

I'd go with a weak team with any guys whose selection is still undecided - if there are any - and then go he'll for leather preparing for what NZ and/or SA will throw at us for a couple weeks before jetting off to Japan.

A nice warm up to watching a great but utterly hateable team* trash a lucky, mediocre and impressively more hateable team in Croker as you say!

*To be fair it's mostly the scum hanging around on that terrace of theirs...

Believe there's another culling next week so not sure if absolute fringe guys will get anything more than a bench spot. Still expect this to be the most experimental team we field in the warm ups. I know Schmidt apparently intends to return in time for the match but it would be understandable if he isn't in a position to take the lead on this one.

Expect to see Luke McGrath and Farrell since they've been on media duty. Be interesting if we see Bealham or Porter get a go at covering loosehead.

This is an injury hurdle and a chance for guys in the fringe to make the squad. No need to knock the rust off frontliners yet this far out.

Is Haley still in training or has he been culled?

Maybe a token cap to lock him in? I heard he was considering a move back to England (cause of his baby/Mrs), so they might wanna tempt him to stay.

No need to play any first choice players, but at the same time no need to waste time on guys who obviously aren't going like Haley, TOD or Dave Kearney. You'd imagine Kleyn will make his debut and it's chance for guys on the edge to make an impression. Decent chance to try one covering LH with one of the THs. My preference would be Ryan because Bealham probably isn't going and I'd really prefer not to mess around with Porter st this stage in his development. We might see the whole Henshaw at 15 experiment given another go as well but I hope not.

So I'd guess we'll see something like
1. McGrath
2. Scannell
3. Porter
4. Beirne
5. Kleyn
6. Ruddock
7. Murphy
8. Conan
9. McGrath
10. Carbery
11. Addison
12. Aki (can't think of anyone else)
13. Farrell
14. Larmour
15. Conway (although you could play any of those three at FB)

16. Cronin (we might see Herring but I don't want to)
17. Ryan
18. Bealham
19. Toner (is he fit? Henderson otherwise)
20. O'Donnell probably
21. Cooney/Marmion
22. Carty/Byrne
23. Haley or Dave I guess

Maybe a token cap to lock him in? I heard he was considering a move back to England (cause of his baby/Mrs), so they might wanna tempt him to stay.
Hasn't been chopped yet but he'll almost certainly be gone by the next one. Might get a chance this weekend though.
A nice warm up to watching a great but utterly hateable team* trash a lucky, mediocre and impressively more hateable team in Croker as you say!
Tbf there's an awful lot to despise about the entire institution of the Dublin football team but the actual players/team themselves are grand.

No need to play any first choice players, but at the same time no need to waste time on guys who obviously aren't going like Haley, TOD or Dave Kearney. You'd imagine Kleyn will make his debut and it's chance for guys on the edge to make an impression. Decent chance to try one covering LH with one of the THs. My preference would be Ryan because Bealham probably isn't going and I'd really prefer not to mess around with Porter st this stage in his development. We might see the whole Henshaw at 15 experiment given another go as well but I hope not.

So I'd guess we'll see something like
1. McGrath
2. Scannell
3. Porter
4. Beirne
5. Kleyn
6. Ruddock
7. Murphy
8. Conan
9. McGrath
10. Carbery
11. Addison
12. Aki (can't think of anyone else)
13. Farrell
14. Larmour
15. Conway (although you could play any of those three at FB)

16. Cronin (we might see Herring but I don't want to)
17. Ryan
18. Bealham
19. Toner (is he fit? Henderson otherwise)
20. O'Donnell probably
21. Cooney/Marmion
22. Carty/Byrne
23. Haley or Dave I guess

Hasn't been chopped yet but he'll almost certainly be gone by the next one. Might get a chance this weekend though.

I'd want Larmour at 15 if he's playing, think he's our next best option there. Either him or Conway are going to be heavily targeted due to being undersized and lacking experience but at least JL has the deterrent of being able to jink his way under the sticks or 40m down the pitch if he gets the ball.

I'd definitely give Haley the old Isa Nacewa treatment rather than playing DK off the bench too but I'd also be up for giving DK a run ahead of Larmour and have him play a part in the next three games.

Tbf there's an awful lot to despise about the entire institution of the Dublin football team but the actual players/team themselves are grand.
Yeah Mayo definitely beat them on the number of wankers in the team, Tyrone probably do too - and despite this I want them to nick Sam because up the Nordies - but bringing the beloved Diarmo back wasn't savage PR!

They all happy here and his family are over alot.

Want to raise the kid in the northwest around their families, last I heard
I'd believe that, Munster hasn't gone brilliantly for him if. He's not exactly going to be telling his employer when still contracted and in with a [minute] chance of going to a world cup either.

Want to raise the kid in the northwest around their families, last I heard
Well that would be understandable. I suppose but they have built a very good network of friends and support here. Obviously nothing ever replaces family.

I'd believe that, Munster hasn't gone brilliantly for him if. He's not exactly going to be telling his employer when still contracted and in with a [minute] chance of going to a world cup either.
To be fair it has gone well for him as he has progressed to international camps and possibly a cap, is playing as a regular at 15 in big games and I believe will only get better. If he did want to go home I'm sure we would release him as there would be alternatives that would be on his wage but hope he stays. Really rate him highly.

EBcw-u3WwAARUch

Ringrose and Toner the only 'frontline' players starting. Pretty happy with that team. Dangerous backline anyway and the scrum and maul should be plenty strong.

Interesting team anyway. Few guys like O'Donnell and Dave I didn't think I'd see in green again. Hope Farrell goes well at 12, people say he can distribute well but he's rarely asked to do that for Munster. Hope Larmour goes well from 15 too and bosses it. I like Nordicai at 8. Big audition for Kleyn here. Playing beside Toner should make things easier for him.
Front row is a u it filled with what I would have thought were unlikelys

Interesting team anyway. Few guys like O'Donnell and Dave I didn't think I'd see in green again. Hope Farrell goes well at 12, people say he can distribute well but he's rarely asked to do that for Munster. Hope Larmour goes well from 15 too and bosses it. I like Nordicai at 8. Big audition for Kleyn here. Playing beside Toner should make things easier for him.
Front row is a u it filled with what I would have thought were unlikelys

Off one side he can anyway, off the other...less so.

Farrell at 12 and Nordi at 8 is interesting. Do they need a big performance to try to challenge for Aki's and Stander/Conan's ticket?
I really believe Farrell is at 12 for a reason. There is a reason he is being played with Ringrose also.
Jordi at 8 I believe is due to Conan being not 100% and CJ was off in the early part of week due to birth of daughter. Hence no real backrow available unless we go in to starters.

Big test for Larmour and Conway as I feel Dave Kearney is just filling the numbers but the other 2 are out to show why they get a ticket.
Big test for all the front row players but the fact Bealham is not in the squad for this maybe shows he is not in the mix.

On a separate note. Does Jean Kleyn officially get a cap as he is not eligible yet to play with Ireland so just wondering.

He's eligible as of today according to OTB.
Not sure but had been reported it wasn't until September when he arrived in Munster. Will be clear on eve of RWC but got special dispensation because games are not ranking.

Clarified. He is eligible from 15th so this is only game he received clearance for as he arrived in country but some administration helped with fact his contract started in August were part of it

Latest posts