• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squad 2018/2019

It's promising that all the debate is over the last few spots in the squad, it must me what NZ fans feel like.

Kearney, Earls, Ringrose, Henshaw, Larmour/Stockdale, Sexton, McGrath/Cooney, Healy, Best, Furlong, Ryan, Henderson/Toner/Beirne, POM/Beirne, Leavy/VdF/O'Brien, Stander

Cronin (hopefully), McGrath, Porter, one of the above locks, one of the above 7s or Murphy, one of the above 9s, Carbery, Addison

That's what I'd like to see line out v NZ and I reckon it's more than capable of winning. Addison gets the bench spot for me because he covers wing and centre. Having Earls, Larmour or Stockdale as centre cover won't work and I don't like having to cover back positions from the pitch when you don't have to.

So no expectation of Conor playing this November then?

We must have 50 players who gancy chances of RWC spot. Some depth developed to be fair

Based on what I've seen so far, and I haven't seen everything, this is the team I'd have for the ABs.

Kearney, Larmour, Ringrose, Henshaw, Earls, Sexton, Murray (I'm praying)/Cooney, McGrath, Best, Furlong, Ryan, Toner, O'Mahony, Van Der Flier, Stander. Cronin, Healy, Porter, Beirne, SOB, Cooney/McGrath, Carbery, Addison.

To be honest, I love Healy, but he's had a bit of a mixed bag so far this season. Jack McGrath has only just got back but he's looked himself in the two games he's played unlike last season.

Apologies to any Ulster fans regarding Henderson/Stockdale.

Throw in the Munster front row, Henderson, another lock (probably Roux ffs), Leavy, Jordi Murphy, Jack Conan, Marmion, R Byrne, Aki, Goggin, T Farrell, Stockdale and Conway maybe Sweetnam and whatever obvious person I'm leaving out and you've got something resembling a squad (I hope).

Based on what I've seen so far, and I haven't seen everything, this is the team I'd have for the ABs.

Kearney, Larmour, Ringrose, Henshaw, Earls, Sexton, Murray (I'm praying)/Cooney, McGrath, Best, Furlong, Ryan, Toner, O'Mahony, Van Der Flier, Stander. Cronin, Healy, Porter, Beirne, SOB, Cooney/McGrath, Carbery, Addison.

To be honest, I love Healy, but he's had a bit of a mixed bag so far this season. Jack McGrath has only just got back but he's looked himself in the two games he's played unlike last season.

Apologies to any Ulster fans regarding Henderson/Stockdale.

Throw in the Munster front row, Henderson, another lock (probably Roux ffs), Leavy, Jordi Murphy, Jack Conan, Marmion, R Byrne, Aki, Goggin, T Farrell, Stockdale and Conway maybe Sweetnam and whatever obvious person I'm leaving out and you've got something resembling a squad (I hope).

Stockdale has to be included. Larmour is a talent but a bit raw yet while Stockdale is a try scoring machine and he's only after 1 season.

Hard to leave Henderson out too but Beirne is in the mix not too. It could be Toner to lose out. He won't let you down but the other 3 have something extra.

Niall Scannell has been the best hooker lately. Munster a lineout was running smoothly in very windy conditions. The other 3 hookers had major problems except Scannell.

Carbery is settling in nicely and was excellent at the weekend apart from one slightly unlucky kick.

The big question is what 9s will JS pick. They're all playing well. One option might be to use Cooney as 3rd choice flyhalf during the world cup.

Surely Dunc is after playing himself in to the Autumn reckoning. :)

But I think the key component in backups will be versatility.
Conway and Addison may go at expense of Chris Farrell.
I think Luke McGrath may loose out of the 9s but again there very little between back up 9s so that can change. Carbery may be seen as cover for 15 and 12 too. In pack most back 5 players cover most.
Beirne - 4-6
Henderson- 4-6
Toner and James Ryan just lock
Stander, VDF, Leavy, SOB, POM, Jordi and Ruddock cover all backrow and Ruddock can play lock.
I think this is why Conan and Toner will loose out.
What are we looking at 18/13 or 19/12 split

Stockdale has to be included. Larmour is a talent but a bit raw yet while Stockdale is a try scoring machine and he's only after 1 season.

Hard to leave Henderson out too but Beirne is in the mix not too. It could be Toner to lose out. He won't let you down but the other 3 have something extra.

Niall Scannell has been the best hooker lately. Munster a lineout was running smoothly in very windy conditions. The other 3 hookers had major problems except Scannell.

Carbery is settling in nicely and was excellent at the weekend apart from one slightly unlucky kick.

The big question is what 9s will JS pick. They're all playing well. One option might be to use Cooney as 3rd choice flyhalf during the world cup.

I'd disagree about Stockdale and Larmour. Stockdale is quite raw as well imo. Larmour is faster and I'd say he's better defensively. (A few mistakes playing out of position against Italy notwithstanding.) Stockdale is a better finished no doubt but it's not like Larmour doesn't score tries.

It's fair to say that there's very little between the 3 locks after Ryan and the same at 9 after Murray. All a matter of opinion really. Versatility comes into it for the bench obviously which is why Toner will either start not make the 23.

Scannell has been very good this year but barring injury he probably won't make the 23 although he could be the second choice starter. Best is captain and Cronin is the ultimate impact sub.

I think calling Larmour raw is a bit of a disservice to the kid. His kicking needs work but other than that his skills are more than up to scratch. He's definitely a wing too.

I'd disagree about Stockdale and Larmour. Stockdale is quite raw as well imo. Larmour is faster and I'd say he's better defensively. (A few mistakes playing out of position against Italy notwithstanding.) Stockdale is a better finished no doubt but it's not like Larmour doesn't score tries.

It's fair to say that there's very little between the 3 locks after Ryan and the same at 9 after Murray. All a matter of opinion really. Versatility comes into it for the bench obviously which is why Toner will either start not make the 23.

Scannell has been very good this year but barring injury he probably won't make the 23 although he could be the second choice starter. Best is captain and Cronin is the ultimate impact sub.
Except Cronin won't be in Japan if rumours are true. Agree he is the best 16.
But also I wouldn't nail Best on either at his age to be starter.
Age waits for no man and any ****le will effect him more

Best will be 37 next year. Still he might not be the only one if Nonu sneaks into the AB squad. Wasn't Mayfield 38 at the last RWC?. Best could prove useful sub with 20 to go.

Best will start if fit. We need him for the captaincy, Sexton and O'Mahony are great leaders but are poor captains. Best is much better with the refs. His fitness is questionable though at his age which is why we'd be mad to get rid of Cronin because he's the only other hooker with international experience.
Best will be 37 next year. Still he might not be the only one if Nonu sneaks into the AB squad. Wasn't Mayfield 38 at the last RWC?. Best could prove useful sub with 20 to go.
Paul O'Connell was around that at the last one I think.

Paul O'Connell was around that at the last one I think.

O'Connell was 35 during the last World Cup, but more importantly he was still a nailed on starter in a way that Best doesn't seem to be anymore. I have no problem with Best starting because I think he's class, but if his form or fitness isn't quite right we have enough depth to start someone else. O'Mahony and Sexton make more sense to me as captains from the 2019 Six Nations onward, because I think they're going to be nailed on starters for the next year provided they don't pick up an injury.

What rumours?
That he has fallen out of favour with Schmidt.

On Best - I'm not saying he is not good enough anymore anything. And agreed he was excellent this weekend. More at his age he has to be carefully managed through the season but equally it's a long season at 37 where injuries need to be managed very carefully.

O'Connell was 35 during the last World Cup, but more importantly he was still a nailed on starter in a way that Best doesn't seem to be anymore. I have no problem with Best starting because I think he's class, but if his form or fitness isn't quite right we have enough depth to start someone else. O'Mahony and Sexton make more sense to me as captains from the 2019 Six Nations onward, because I think they're going to be nailed on starters for the next year provided they don't pick up an injury.
Well here was more my point. Best is a super player when fit and on form. But not a case of start at all costs.

Could Lowry be a potential bolter? As in one of those called up for Schmidt to have a look at.

Best getting on in years now but he's just back so not match fit yet.

I think calling Larmour raw is a bit of a disservice to the kid. His kicking needs work but other than that his skills are more than up to scratch. He's definitely a wing too.

His decision making needs to improve. That's the one area I see. He tends to try and beat players too often when it's not on. Other than that I've been impressed with him.

Could Lowry be a potential bolter? As in one of those called up for Schmidt to have a look at.

Uhm. Bit early yet.

He'd need an absolute savage run of form - probably at both 10 and 15 to add further value to his case. He'd also likely need a couple of injuries of incumbents to get a chance.