• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Investec Champions Cup 23/24 - Rd 1

IMG_4224.pngMore rotation again this season but happy overall. No idea how Glasgow are playing as I haven't kept up on the URC but im hopeful we do well tonight!

1702038247533.png

Slightly odd in spots. Not sure why Frisch isn't in, don't think he's injured. Some turn up for Eoghan Clarke

Last edited:

Some big talking points there. Flier dropped is probably the right call which is a bit mad. HB can really make his mark on Sunday, hopefully he does.

View attachment 18540

Slightly odd in spots. Not sure why Frisch isn't in, don't think he's injured. Some turn up for Eoghan Clarke
There a virus around. Hence Frisch, Daly, Barron, Zebo. Some players totally out of position and others aren't even pro level.

My biggest worry from watching training this week is the front row and wings.
Frontrow as Scott has no form and neither himself or Eoghan are great at set pieces.

2 lads on wings aren't wingers per se and Nash is a winger not a 15.

Bath Rugby: 1 Beno Obano, 2 Tom Dunn, 3 Will Stuart, 4 Elliott Stooke, 5 Charlie Ewels (150), 6 Miles Reid, 7 Sam Underhill, 8 Alfie Barbeary, 9 Ben Spencer (c), 10 Finn Russell, 11 Will Muir, 12 Cameron Redpath, 13 Ollie Lawrence, 14 Joe Cokanasiga, 15 Matt Gallagher

Replacements: 16 Niall Annett, 17 Juan Schoeman, 18 Thomas du Toit, 19 GJ van Velze, 20 Jaco Coetzee, 21 Louis Schreuder, 22, Orlando Bailey, 23 Will Butt

Ulster Rugby: 1 Steven Kitshoff, 2 Tom Stewart, 3 Tom O'Toole, 4 Alan O'Connor, 5 Iain Henderson (c), 6 Dave Ewers, 7 Nick Timoney, 8 James McNabney, 9 Nathan Doak, 10 Billy Burns, 11 Jacob Stockdale, 12 Stuart McCloskey, 13 James Hulme, 14 Rob Baloucoune, 15 Stewart Moore

Replacements: 16 Rob Herring, 17 Andrew Warwick, 18 Marty Moore, 19 Kieran Treadwell, 20 Matty Rea, 21 John Cooney, 22 Jake Flannery, 23 Mike Lowry

On the cup itself - my interest still needs to be rekindled after the disaster of the last few years.
Thank gods the pool my team are in don't have any South African teams, so I'll probably watch all of Pool 2's matches.
Interest in the latter stages will depend on how it goes - it's still a gods-awful format, just less so than previously, and it's still got non-European teams in the European Cup, and I simply have no interest in that. Of course, still too many teams involved - I just don't see what's wrong with 4 pools of 4, and make it a best-of-the-best, rather than this monstrosity.

It's a real shame, the HC used to be compulsory watching, and it's rare that I'd miss a single match - before or after PRL's strop.

Last edited:

Some big talking points there. Flier dropped is probably the right call which is a bit mad. HB can really make his mark on Sunday, hopefully he does.

Presumably Conan and Furlong are injured. Conan has been probably Leinsters best backrow post RWC. Van Der Flier being dropped may be a shock to alot but Connors has played well when I have seen him this year.

There a virus around. Hence Frisch, Daly, Barron, Zebo. Some players totally out of position and others aren't even pro level.

My biggest worry from watching training this week is the front row and wings.
Frontrow as Scott has no form and neither himself or Eoghan are great at set pieces.

2 lads on wings aren't wingers per se and Nash is a winger not a 15.
Strange Frisch just wasn't mentioned all the same!

It's very much a second string Bayonne side away from home in their first Heineken Cup game. We should expect to win well.

I do agreebthe squad looks thin though, we badly need a hooker and a winger right now.

O'Brien is not a winger and Nash is not a 15, but what is McCarthy if not a winger?

Our pack should have too much for them, even if it would be a very worrying selection come the later rounds.

Yeah that's a bizarre yellow - definitely the lifters at fault, almost like the ref freaked because it's a potentially nasty injury so wanted to yellow someone and can't do both lifters so did the jumper instead

Hope Waller is ok, 20st of backrower dropping onto your head can't be nice

Saints playing some great stuff, Mitchell reminds me of a young Finn Russell in that you don't know if he's about to throw a killer pass to cut the defence open or score an own goal via intercept.

Glasgow are that team that look very good and strong on paper but consistently believe they are better than the hard work and fall in big games

Scotland must be talking to Fin Smith after tonight

F. Smith and Dingwall could well be the future replacements for Russell and Harris

Glasgow have spent more time kicking off than playing rugby

Scotland must be talking to Fin Smith after tonight

F. Smith and Dingwall could well be the future replacements for Russell and Harris
Hoping we get him locked down during the 6N - Eng u20s and trained with the seniors earlier in the year so I'd be surprised if England weren't his first choice

As a Saints fan happy to win 2nd half lack of killer edge
Sums us really for alot of a game we look great to eye but sometimes lack the dog.
Big up to defence.
Not going yo comment on which country duels should play for up to them at end of day.

Latest posts