I'm hoping France beat Ireland next weekend

TheOvalBall

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
France
If Ireland end 2nd, then they will face the All Blacks. That will be an incredible game.

Ha I'd certainly think France in Cardiff is probably the best equipped regardless of their form

Yeah I am hoping this too as, if by some crazy happenstance that a decimated Wales could beat the Aussies nest week, it would enable us to have as unlikely as it may seem a path to the final. As although the probable 'path' would then be Scotland followed by France. Now both teams obviously pose problems and would fancy themselves against a welsh team minus most of their first and second choice back division but wales would fancy their chances too.

If Ireland do win, which I think is likely, wales would have very little chance under the circumstances. Go France.

Yeah I am hoping this too as, if by some crazy happenstance that a decimated Wales could beat the Aussies nest week, it would enable us to have as unlikely as it may seem a path to the final. As although the probable 'path' would then be Scotland followed by France. Now both teams obviously pose problems and would fancy themselves against a welsh team minus most of their first and second choice back division but wales would fancy their chances too.

If Ireland do win, which I think is likely, wales would have very little chance under the circumstances. Go France.

In the unlikely event we do win on Saturday I also really hope we face the prospect of a French semi.

I absolutely cannot even consider the shame of losing to Ireland in a World Cup, I would rather Wales have been knocked out in the pool stages than hand Ireland a ticket to the Final.

Just thinking about it makes me feel sick.

Great troll surely its a game for PSA to bow out on

On current form Ireland or France could take out the AB's and thats without assistance from that Barnes creature....

On current form Ireland or France could take out the AB's and thats without assistance from that Barnes creature....

I absolutely cannot understand this overrating of Ireland.
Everyone seemed to buy into the media hype surrounding England and actually have them as condensers for the cup.
We now see how misguided that thought was.

I see Ireland as a very similar prospect.
Who have they beaten in the last year that makes people beleive that they somehow stand a chance of beating the Aussies or All Blacks? a South African team that also lost to Wales, Argentina and Japan?

They have been lucky to win the two Six Nations they won, they lost games in both tournaments, and they've lost to us twice in last year.

Ireland are no better than England or Wales.

Look at what Aussie just did to England, they'd do the same to Ireland if they got the opportunity.

In the unlikely event we do win on Saturday I also really hope we face the prospect of a French semi.

I absolutely cannot even consider the shame of losing to Ireland in a World Cup, I would rather Wales have been knocked out in the pool stages than hand Ireland a ticket to the Final.

Just thinking about it makes me feel sick.
Wales are very poor. Ireland are a far greater team. Wales will be knocked out before Ireland are.
Great troll surely its a game for PSA to bow out on

Wales are very poor. Ireland are a far greater team. Wales will be knocked out before Ireland are.

You do realise we having a bit of an injury crisis at the mo right... Ffs under the circumstances the fact Wales have qualified out from the much vaunted group of death is a miracle should should be appreciated.

I'm really looking forward to the France V Ireland game, it's a little hard to tell which one is stronger on current form; regardless of who wins, I would expect that Argentina are going to give them a pretty torrid match. The All Blacks have been holding back a few moves etc, for the quarter final stages, so hopefully they are well prepared for whoever they face ... there's still some old heads in that side that remember Cardiff 2007 :)

Ireland are vastly overrated on here.
We've beaten them consistently over the last ten years, twice in the last year.
I wouldn't be surprised if we do get knocked out before Ireland but only because If we don't beat Aussie, we'd have to play SA, Then the All Blacks to even get to a final.
Ireland Would not beat any of the big 3 SH sides as it stands

I wouldn't be surprised if we do get knocked out before Ireland but only because If we don't beat Aussie, we'd have to play SA, Then the All Blacks to even get to a final.

Might want to check your stats again bud. Ireland and Wales have played 14 times since 2005, with both teams winning 7 each.

I dont disagree that Wales and Ireland are evenly matched. I dont see Ireland getting past a semi, and would not be surprised if we dont make it past the quarters. Same with Wales. I think both are great teams, but both are just one that one step below World Cup winning quality. However, Ireland on their absolute top form can beat ANY team.

I get why youd hate to see Ireland in a final though, to be honest Id hate to see Wales in one :p But if it was up against a SH team I would put aside rivalries and support you all the way

Last edited:
I absolutely cannot understand this overrating of Ireland.
Everyone seemed to buy into the media hype surrounding England and actually have them as condensers for the cup.
We now see how misguided that thought was.

I see Ireland as a very similar prospect.
Who have they beaten in the last year that makes people beleive that they somehow stand a chance of beating the Aussies or All Blacks? a South African team that also lost to Wales, Argentina and Japan?

They have been lucky to win the two Six Nations they won, they lost games in both tournaments, and they've lost to us twice in last year.

Ireland are no better than England or Wales.

Look at what Aussie just did to England, they'd do the same to Ireland if they got the opportunity.

They've beaten the Aussies themselves mate. But don't let facts get in the way of a rant. Any criticisms there are of Ireland in terms of quality could be just as easily (and probably even more so) applied to Wales. Ireland could get dumped out in the quarters or make their way to the final.

Ireland hasn't done anything to lead us to believe that it's a better team than Wales, that's true. Today's scrappy game against Italy should lave many doubting that Ireland is any better than Wales, or France for the matter.
As a Frenchman I'd rather lose out to the ABs than the Pumas. Couldn't stant losing to a team that 'feels' more French than French XV itself, most Argentine players having played in France and their playing style having much more flair than ours.

They've beaten the Aussies themselves mate. But don't let facts get in the way of a rant. Any criticisms there are of Ireland in terms of quality could be just as easily (and probably even more so) applied to Wales. Ireland could get dumped out in the quarters or make their way to the final.

I see Irish fans all over the net vastly overrate their chances.
A couple of Irish posters on here were implying the game against France was a Full gone conclusion and that Ireland were up there with the all blacks.

I just can't see it myself.

On a very good day they could turn over the Aussies maybe, but they're still capable of struggling against Scotland and Italy.

I love all the New Zealanders worrying about the All Blacks form "we'd lose to whoever?!?!". Like the ability to blow out Georgia and Namibia by 70 points dictates being able to win a tough test match.

I like the idea of facing France again in Cardiff, just for a laugh. Ireland has been the tougher test in the last few years for the All Blacks, but a 100% win record doesn't inspire fear (despite rating Joe Schmidt as a very, very good coach).

I love all the New Zealanders worrying about the All Blacks form "we'd lose to whoever?!?!". Like the ability to blow out Georgia and Namibia by 70 points dictates being able to win a tough test match.

I like the idea of facing France again in Cardiff, just for a laugh. Ireland has been the tougher test in the last few years for the All Blacks, but a 100% win record doesn't inspire fear (despite rating Joe Schmidt as a very, very good coach).

Yeah people are being a bit too OTT because we didn't cash in on our trillion points. Can see that with all the tears about Sopoaga. I'd also like to face France.

Latest posts