• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

I require technical help

SelimNiai

'Ark at ee mun!
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Bristol
I have an iPhone 4. When I connect it via USB to my laptop nothing happens. The iPhone shows in "My Computer" but nothing happens in iTunes so cant sync. Upon looking a bit online it seems my AMDS (Apple Mobile Device Support) isn't starting.

I then go into "Local Services" on the laptop to try to force start and all I get is "The Apple Mobile Device Service....started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if theyre not in use"

What do I do next apart from go all "Basil Fawlty" on my laptop

I had this issue on my iPhone 5 previously. I tried the sequences shown in the below link:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203188

Which may work for you. But for my issue, the actual drivers had been deleted, no idea why. So I had to complete this very laborious and fiddly sequence of tasks, shown in this link below:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204095

And scroll down to the section called: "If the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is not listed"

Hope that helps.

Book an appointment at your local Apple Store and let a Genius do a diagnostic check on your iPhone.

Book an appointment at your local Apple Store and let a Genius do a diagnostic check on your iPhone.

I have a feeling its a laptop issue more than a phone issue but I think I'll need to do that.

Also, before someone says, I have turned it off and on again

I have an iPhone 4. When I connect it via USB to my laptop nothing happens. The iPhone shows in "My Computer" but nothing happens in iTunes so cant sync. Upon looking a bit online it seems my AMDS (Apple Mobile Device Support) isn't starting.

I then go into "Local Services" on the laptop to try to force start and all I get is "The Apple Mobile Device Service....started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if theyre not in use"

What do I do next apart from go all "Basil Fawlty" on my laptop

1. Does your iPhone beep when you plug it in to indicate it is charging or does the battery indicator show it is charging?

2. Does your iPhone pop up the "Trust this computer" Yes/No" dialog box?

Assuming you have WinXP (you said "My Computer" so I'm assuming you have) then after your iPhone has been plugged in for about 1 min, try going

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Camera and Scanner Wizard

1. Does your iPhone beep when you plug it in to indicate it is charging or does the battery indicator show it is charging?

2. Does your iPhone pop up the "Trust this computer" Yes/No" dialog box?

Assuming you have WinXP (you said "My Computer" so I'm assuming you have) then after your iPhone has been plugged in for about 1 min, try going

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Camera and Scanner Wizard

1. Yes
2. Yes

I couldnt find that specific program but went through the device manager, still no joy

1. Yes
2. Yes

I couldnt find that specific program but went through the device manager, still no joy

With your iPhone plugged in as before, tap "yes" on the trust dialog, then wait at least 30 seconds then try the following

Start > Run. Type in wiaacmgr.exe and click OK

This should start the Camera and Scanner wizard. If instead, it comes up with something like "windows cannot find wiaacmgr.exe....." then the Camera and Scanner wizard is not installed on your computer, and therefore the iPhone may not connect properly.

You will need to find a site to download wiaacmgr.exe from, and when you have done that, put it in your C:\windows\system32 folder and try again.

As always, take the standard precautions with executable of getting this file from a reputable site, and virus check the file before you run it.

Last edited:
I don't know if the service should be doing that, however if you go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer ->Windows Logs hopefully around the time you started it Apple gave you a rather useful error message that will point you along the right path.

There is definitely something wrong with it on your machine however as the AMDS is "running" on my machine and I've never plugged an apple device into it.

Don't know what to recommend if you tried fully uninstalling iTunes according to their helpful guide. The error may provide a clue as it may be a windows library missing.

(i presume you've done all these things but just in case)

Before you do anything else go to a different PC and see if your phone launches iTunes, or can bee seen in iTunes - that pretty much rules out that it's the phone, also if you can do the same in reverse, get a friends iphone/ipad (or an old one) and see if the problem persists with their device.

Is your laptop completely up to date (are you really using Windows XP?), make sure you run windows updater (not a bad thing to do anyway), and make sure you've done the regulars like running CCleaner (run the automated registry repair tool you'd be amazed what that can do) and Spybot S&D, also run Malwarebytes - make sure you update the definitions then restart and keep your laptop off the wire for the duration.

At that stage i'd use Revo uninstall and get the iTunes installation off the PC and then re-install it (Revo will also let you check the start up services and assign them under autostart manager) .... then i'd follow Smartcookys instructions.

This might sound stupid, but this happened to me too. And all I did was to use a different usb port and for some unexplainable reason it worked.

Could sometimes just be a silly connection problem.

It should be noted XP is no longer supported by Microsoft to the extent windows update no longer works.

Nope. Tried everything short of going into a store. That probably my final option.

Latest posts