• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

History of the Forum - a short retrospective

Can't remember how, when or why I came across here. Slowly started to get going. Joined in September 2009. I can't.. oh, right, now I remember. Habana was coming to Cape Town and I was just so ecstatic and it had to be channeled somewhere; my friends are all nerds and have only recently developed a taste for rugby. I Googled 'rugby forum' and didn't look back even if there were/are down times.

Do you know whatever happened to Dom, Saints? Did he vanish entirely or did he poke around here from time to time before fading away? Cant recall ever seeing a Dom on here during my time on the forum as a member or occasional lurker.

I'm not so sure. I would occasionally speak to him on MSN Messenger but he went off to uni and I heard relatively little from him again unfortunately. The two young Kiwis and the young Aussie who set it up grew up and went on with their lives. And losing MSN means I have no way to catch up with them.

Is it expensive to run a forum?

Not particularly. Within single figures per month. The time you spend though? Incalculable. I dread to think how much of my time I have spent on TRF in 11 years.

Did a search for 'rugby forums' and surprisingly enough, found this place.

Much the same after the good guy who ran the previous forum I used unfortunately died far too young.......pleased to say that I brought Gaston into your lives!!!

The time you spend though? Incalculable. I dread to think how much of my time I have spent on TRF in 11 years.

....and very much it is appreciated too!!

Last edited:
....and very much it is appreciated too!!

Thank you, comments like that are very much genuinely appreciated.

So much time has gone into the forum and my time is drawing to an end with my first child due in late December. My leisure time will become something of a ghost. I can take my leave being very proud of what we did and of what is to come after my time.

Thank you, comments like that are very much genuinely appreciated.

So much time has gone into the forum and my time is drawing to an end with my first child due in late December. My leisure time will become something of a ghost. I can take my leave being very proud of what we did and of what is to come after my time.

congratulations!

and also congrats on the nipper :)

out of all the wasteful literature which we now have available here thanks to GN10's unfortunate initiative, mine is probably the most banal. Please do not read if you don't like cheaply throwing time away:
I officially became a Rugby fan during the last RWC and towards the end of that event. Went on the website Google dot com and typed "Rugby" followed by "Forum". When I saw a website called "TheRugbyForum" as the first result, and it's with tremendous shame that I admit this now of course, I had the naivety to actually think this had got to be the best option possible. I thought "wow, this has GOT to be the shiit, I mean it's called THE Rugby Forum". I looked around real quick and with my strange candor of the time decided to create an account. I remember my first ever post, or second, I gave LittleGuy attitude because I thought he was being a dick which he wasn't...(more very unnecessary material to follow).
I wasn't very familiar with forums before that point and was only a member of some small community NBA forum, so when I saw guys with 10k + posts and all I was like "wow, those guys must be monuments of Rugby knowledge !!" and then eventually the dense, congested excrement from my eyes started clearing out and well before the time I'd become one of these forum edifices myself, I realized the truth behind it all (hah, "all", it's not much really). Which is, thank God, much too underwhelming and irrelevant to anything of genuine importance to be developed any further.
Sorry if you came this far.......sorry..

I too found the place off the gaming section, it was 09 Irelands GS Leinster Hcup and the Lions tour had gotten me into rugby. I was then looking to see if there was any news of a new rugby game coming out and typed rugby 09 into youtube, found a trailer for one of the mods linking to here. Eventually after lurking for months signed up to argue over something. Surprising how many people have pretty much the same story.

@TRF_Saints Scary is not the word. Doesn't seem like one day ago we were at Cardiff watching the Saints plaster Wigan and Long bossing the game.

There is also our Wikipedia page which hasn't been updated in years, but does include lot of irrelevant information haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
so "mentioned *this amount of* Posts" is the new rep now. Quick, somebody mention me somewhere. I don't think I can do it to myself. I need big stats to look impressive in front of the newbies.

@Big Ewis - I like this feature because you can reply to someone without quoting their post. It makes it easier to just say somaething short n' sweet instead of feeling obligated to say something deep and meaningful. :)

das

@Big Ewis - I like this feature because you can reply to someone without quoting their post. It makes it easier to just say somaething short n' sweet instead of feeling obligated to say something deep and meaningful. :)

das

why yes, regnadNsad. Sacrificing any semblance of substance for even more lightness...it's quite an attractive prospect, I agagaga-gree ! 5963b8fbd58960b8aa547dc47e6a3682.jpg

Then why didn't you rep me, you stingy bstrd?! ;)

:D

well I'm strong to the finish coz I eats me spinach. So I'm busy doing that, it's not stinginess !! Here, I'll give you a mention. Well, half a mention @dasN.
OK I'm...yeah I'm pretty sure we just sprayed crap all over a thread again !! Please masters, don't ban me again, I'm weak, WEAAAA-HEA-HEAKKK !!!! :cryy:

@TRF_Saints Scary is not the word. Doesn't seem like one day ago we were at Cardiff watching the Saints plaster Wigan and Long bossing the game.

There is also our Wikipedia page which hasn't been updated in years, but does include lot of irrelevant information haha.
@ORothlain had so many issues with that Wiki page as well, it was ridiculous the hoops he had to jump through to get it sanctioned.

@ORothlain had so many issues with that Wiki page as well, it was ridiculous the hoops he had to jump through to get it sanctioned.
There were hoops a plenty, and by hoops I mean stubborn ******** who think they own the Internet.
Thanks be to Chabal, we overcame. Haha!
i can take a look at cleaning it up.

Latest posts