• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hardest men in Rugby - past or present

I wouldn't really put down Burger as a candidate from SA. Maybe its just his current poor form in contact takes away from my perceptions of him being a 'hard man'. In recent years I'd have Bismarck, Alberts and especially Juan Smith all ahead of him in that regard.

Hardest? Men? You guys have had private moments with these guys to know how hard they get? Jesus! They say rugby brings people together, I didn't know they brought them that close.

SA guys - Rudi "Vleis" Visagie, Burger Geldenhuys
Namibia - Jacques Burger

I was fortunate to grow up in the amateur era watching Richard Loe and Mark Andrews go hammer and tongs at each other. It was a harsh yet beautiful sight to see in a sadistic voyeuristic sort of way thanking my lucky stars I wasn't the one on the recieving end.

I've heard and read about incidents off the field with Keith Murdock.

On a side note, the rules have changed since the Pro era but I can guarantee with 100% certainty that with offsides or lying on the ball in the ruck and break-downs these days would be few and far between if the amateur rules applied, sprigs aren't that comfortable when applied subtly.

Pine tree Meads was a classic.

Neil Back has to be right up there. Little bloke who put his head where others feared and always came back for more. Ditto Rives.

Of the more traditional tough nuts, I'd always want Dooley on my side. And Dean Richards come to that. I think they both took on Wales single handedly at times. Winterbottom was another who didn't feel pain.

Sella should also be mentioned in despatches. Likewise an entire generation of French forwards that they've forgotten how to breed. Papa, Champ and their ilk.

Don't know if he should inhabit this rarified stratosphere but, even now, Robin McBryde always looks ready to start a fight.

Neil Back has to be right up there. Little bloke who put his head where others feared and always came back for more. Ditto Rives.

Of the more traditional tough nuts, I'd always want Dooley on my side. And Dean Richards come to that. I think they both took on Wales single handedly at times. Winterbottom was another who didn't feel pain.

Sella should also be mentioned in despatches. Likewise an entire generation of French forwards that they've forgotten how to breed. Papa, Champ and their ilk.

Don't know if he should inhabit this rarified stratosphere but, even now, Robin McBryde always looks ready to start a fight.

Can certainly confirm one thing about Baccy.He had one hell of a punch! I got first hand evidence of that when my decent junior side played Nottingham Extras.I think Back had just joined them.I'd given him a bit of a dig to quieten him down a bit,he was causing havoc in our back line.Everything was fine for the next 20minutes or so and then WHAM! Never been hit so hard in my life.Was still seeing stars at the final whistle.

Wahl Bartmann(As strong as a ox, didn't take a step back)
James Bullet Dalton(hard player, good fighter)
The incredible Schalk(we all know him)
Buck Shelford(Battle of Nantes)
Scott Gibbs(The only man to steamroller Os Du randt)
Bakkies Botha
Eben Etzebeth
That caveman Chabal
Jerry Collins

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't really put down Burger as a candidate from SA. Maybe its just his current poor form in contact takes away from my perceptions of him being a 'hard man'. In recent years I'd have Bismarck, Alberts and especially Juan Smith all ahead of him in that regard.

Fourie Du Preez might disagree

Please don't confuse hard men with thugs. The two aren't the same. I admire hard-b'stard rugby players who are tough and uncompromising without resorting to dirty/filthy tactics. Players such as Jerome Kaino, Buck Shelford, Brian Moore & Sebastian Chabal are true hard men of rugby.

However, I have zero admiration for players who eye-gouge, headbutt and bag-snatch opponents. Players like Richard Loe, Butch James, Danny Grewcock and Bakkies Botha are not hard men they are cowards... wannbe hard men who do not have the skills to use their obvious physical attributes to intimidate without also being dirty b'stards.

Hard to go past Buck Shelford playing on with a stitched up torn scrotum.