• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guscott Lions XV

The thing about the Lions is that there is always one or two left field selections, and a player of the quality of Wilko is a nice option to have, expecially when no other English outhalf looks remotely good enough (so far). O'Gara has been on and off average, Jones has done ok, but nothing special, why not Wilko as a third choice to see how he trains and plays? A risk, but not a big one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 20 2009, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The thing about the Lions is that there is always one or two left field selections, and a player of the quality of Wilko is a nice option to have, expecially when no other English outhalf looks remotely good enough (so far). O'Gara has been on and off average, Jones has done ok, but nothing special, why not Wilko as a third choice to see how he trains and plays? A risk, but not a big one.[/b]

if you're gonna take a risk then go with Hook or Cipriani, both are woefully unpredictable and it's baffling how the BBC claimed that Hook's Lions' chances went up after this weekend but are also capable of putting in superb performances, more than likely Wilkinson will break in 2 once some backrower makes a charge at him, either that or he'll pick up a bizarre injury by tripping over a water bottle, not sure if he's had one of them yet, he's had everything else mind.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 20 2009, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 20 2009, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing about the Lions is that there is always one or two left field selections, and a player of the quality of Wilko is a nice option to have, expecially when no other English outhalf looks remotely good enough (so far). O'Gara has been on and off average, Jones has done ok, but nothing special, why not Wilko as a third choice to see how he trains and plays? A risk, but not a big one.[/b]

if you're gonna take a risk then go with Hook or Cipriani, both are woefully unpredictable and it's baffling how the BBC claimed that Hook's Lions' chances went up after this weekend but are also capable of putting in superb performances, more than likely Wilkinson will break in 2 once some backrower makes a charge at him, either that or he'll pick up a bizarre injury by tripping over a water bottle, not sure if he's had one of them yet, he's had everything else mind.
[/b][/quote]

Ok well I could understand the Lions taking Dan Parks as the 3rd 10, such is the paucity of the options. Fact is, Cipriani is dreadful at the moment, all you have to do is watch Wasps and you'll realise he's playing with zero confidence. Hook is barey an improvement. You have Jones there as a solid man, O'Gara because he is potentially world class even if he never shows it, and I'd think long and hard about a fully fit Wilkinson, simply because he can control games better than anyone else, which is what the Lions if they're going to be under the cosh of a blitz defence and the Springbok pack.

again though Wilkinson hasn't played a test match since the 4th round of games in last years Six Nations, playing a handful of premiership games and then being jetisoned into a Lions team is asking for trouble, he won't be match fit as it would be a huge step up in intensity and even when he was playing in the championship last year his performances as they were in 2007 weren't up to the mark so he doesn't deserve to tour

If Wilkinson does tour could spark the debate in which Woodward selected Wilkinson for the Lions 2005 having only played a few games!

and we all saw what a success that was so why try it 4 years on when his talent has waned considerably more. Surely Geech has learnt some lessons from the shambles that was 2005.

Well, i think they should take Wilkinson. It'd be nice for him to visit some hospitals in South Africa.

he's plenty of time to that himself at the moment, no need for him to do it at the expense of the Lions.

He was determined to get into one on his last visit... When the Boks refused to hit him in the 2nd test 2 years ago, he eventually became so fruastrated he rammed his own face as hard as he could into a team-mate! :lol:

Wilkinson, as great as he was, cannot be relied upon to stay fit long enough to get himself into any sort of form. Shaw has obviously been included because the guy is monstrous and history has shown us we need big, strong men if we're going to combat the Saffers in the forwards. For this reason, plus the fact that he is English, I'm half surprised he hasn't mentioned Worsley at flanker too. Otherwise, I like what little I've seen of Croft, but would have Cueto over Bowe at the moment.

Also, did these four names together please anyone else in their fantasys? Flair, talent, kicking, running, consistency...it's just a damn shame it's about 5 years too late for Jonny!

13 - Brian O'Driscoll
12 - Gavin Henson
11 - Shane Williams
10 - Jonny Wilkinson

Thats actually turning into an interesting subplot, given Gatlands mouthing off this week.

Henson / O'Driscoll is one thing but Gatland and Edwards trying to integrate the Irish players who are supposedly disliked by the Welsh contingent will be a bit of a challenge for them.

I think too much is being made of Gatland's comments, he's back tracked already and I can't see it being a major issue on tour bar the obvious existing ones, but somehow I doubt O'Driscoll and Henson will be rooming together.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 20 2009, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think too much is being made of Gatland's comments, he's back tracked already and I can't see it being a major issue on tour bar the obvious existing ones, but somehow I doubt O'Driscoll and Henson will be rooming together.[/b]

It's just ****stirring.

To say that Ireland are the team that Wales want to beat most is hilarious and ludicrous.

Not that I mean that disrespectfully because I love the Irish (as much as I'd love us to stuff youse tomorrow :p)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 20 2009, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think too much is being made of Gatland's comments, he's back tracked already and I can't see it being a major issue on tour bar the obvious existing ones, but somehow I doubt O'Driscoll and Henson will be rooming together.[/b]
Or Shane Williams and Any Munster Player.

The players seemed friendly enough after the match. Probably no energy left for a full-on brawl though.

Latest posts