• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Goal should have 2 bars

I'll bite.
It could work, but why does it need to happen? The team that get tackled in their in-goal are already heavily penalised without the 1-pointer. Instead of getting to kick the ball for a ~20m gain, they have to face a defensive scrum on the 5m line. I don't see why they need to be penalised any more...

I want to see scores like 1-0 or 4-3. So I want to add 1-point kick from FK.

Sige, you have some interesting ideas, but keep in mind if the changes you propose were all incorporated into the game it would no longer be rugby union as we know it, but a totally different sport. That's how American football came about - the laws of the game were changed so much that it no longer resembled rugby, but something totally different.

Perhaps instead of trying to change rugby as we know it, it would be better to develop an entirely new sport that perhaps has elements of the game in it without actually being the great game of rugby union at all*.

(*see rugby league ;) )

das

Last edited:
Oh... so you want SOCCER???!!!!

Scores like 44-42 are interesting; but also low scores are interesting. I saw a 3-0 game in Japan's High-School Rugby (the last play of that game was DG).

(By the way, I think that the points of DG should be decreased from3 to 2. And in Rugby League the points of DG should be increased from 1 to 2.)

I think you are better trying to create your own sport rather than change well established rules.

If there were issues with the posts I'm sure the officials would have flagged it up by now and adding an extra bar would just cause extra cost and complexity issues for clubs as they would have to invest in new posts. There would also be the cost of re training all officials with the new rules you propose and re educating the players.

But it isn't like football/soccer where all scoring can be equal. Tries need to be worth more than other scores so that players actually try to score tries.

But it isn't like football/soccer where all scoring can be equal. Tries need to be worth more than other scores so that players actually try to score tries.

Yes, tries are most important play of course. I think that the side who scored more tries should win in the case of draw. In Rabo12 there was a 29-29 draw (Ulster v. Treviso). In that game Ulster scored 2 tries and Treviso scored 4 tries, so a win should be given to Treviso.

And I even question in non-draw game. In the 6 Nations game, Scotland beat Ireland by 4 PGs (12-8). However, since Scotland scored no try and Ireland scored 1 try, isn't it considerable for giving a win to Ireland?

No because Ireland scored less. Rugby is multi-faceted game there is more then one way to win.

I think my brain will explode and my sheer frustration at this STUPID, fackin idea

I think you are better trying to create your own sport rather than change well established rules.

If there were issues with the posts I'm sure the officials would have flagged it up by now and adding an extra bar would just cause extra cost and complexity issues for clubs as they would have to invest in new posts. There would also be the cost of re training all officials with the new rules you propose and re educating the players.

No, my suggestions are minor changes. Probably my suggestion of replacing scrum by FK (and suicide point in the case of carry-back) would be a significant change, but I do not think even this change would make a completely new sport.

Sige, you have some interesting ideas, but keep in mind if the changes you propose were all incorporated into the game it would no longer be rugby union as we know it, but a totally different sport. That's how American football came about - the laws of the game were changed so much that it no longer resembled rugby, but something totally different.

Perhaps instead of trying to change rugby as we know it, it would be better to develop an entirely new sport that perhaps has elements of the game in it without actually being the great game of rugby union at all*.

(*see rugby league ;) )

das

Well, I do not think "a totally different sport". Probably my suggestion of replacing scrum by FK would be a significant change, but others are all minor change. I do no want to abolish mauls and lucks, line-outs, etc. Suicide point for carry-back and 1-point kick from FK are very minor changes, aren't they?

Well, I do not think "a totally different sport". Probably my suggestion of replacing scrum by FK would be a significant change, but others are all minor change. I do no want to abolish mauls and lucks, line-outs, etc. Suicide point for carry-back and 1-point kick from FK are very minor changes, aren't they?

They're pretty damn big changes if your a prop like me...

The thing is sigesige00, you haven't really justified the need for any of these changes. If you went to the IRB with these plans, and they asked you why they should spend a lot of money to change a game which is played by millions, you're going to need some convincing arguments.

Changing the goal to have two bars is a rule change that might work if we were just creating the rules of rugby out of thin air right now. But it would be needlessly expensive to pull down every set of posts to either replace them with a new set of posts, or to add a second bar.

The thing is sigesige00, you haven't really justified the need for any of these changes. If you went to the IRB with these plans, and they asked you why they should spend a lot of money to change a game which is played by millions, you're going to need some convincing arguments.

Changing the goal to have two bars is a rule change that might work if we were just creating the rules of rugby out of thin air right now. But it would be needlessly expensive to pull down every set of posts to either replace them with a new set of posts, or to add a second bar.

That's actually not a bad idea!!

Sigesige00, Please go to the IRB with your portfolio of ideas... That way he won't bother us with his shitty Eastern ideas!!

I have OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and I love to have things all neat and tidy. I'm what's called a 'picture straightener'. I don't like it when things are crooked or uneven or messy. The beds must be made up in the morning and all the dishes washed and put away. Order. I love order. And I can usually spy someone else who loves order, too. In reading your ideas for the game I'm fairly sure that you also like order, as the laws you suggest would certainly bring more order to the game. However, rugby isn't a game of order - it's rather messy and unpredictable, just as unpredictable as the bounce of that wobbly ball. And you know what? I wouldn't want it any other way. There are just some things that don't need to be put straight.

That said, there are always ways to improve the existing game. Right now they're working on the scrum engagement. Maybe next they'll do something about the put in. They've cracked down on dangerous tackles. They've changed the jumpers. Gloves...then no gloves. Now they're experimenting with turf. The game will continue to evolve, but as j'nuh mentioned - the changes need to be justified - and practical. If the change is only to make things more 'even', then that doesn't really advance the game at all.

das

They're pretty damn big changes if your a prop like me...

Even if there is no scrums, PRs and HO are still needed for mauls and lucks.

The reasons I do not like scrums are:

Time-consuming
Too many fouls from scrums
when collapsed, it is difficult to judge which side collapsed
when there is a too much difference in FW's strengths, scrum immediately collapses
Dangerous when collapsing

Time-consuming
when there is a too much difference in FW's strengths, scrum immediately collapses

There'd be room for people in positions called prop or hooker not for people with actual frontrow bodies. I don't think you've really considered the none professional level.

Time-consuming
Everyone* in rugby wants scrums to stop being time-consuming, for so many fouls to happen etc. But instead of abandoning the scrum, people want a stable scrum. Would this bother you? There are a lot of reasons for the scrum to stay. Most importantly, the strength of rugby is that it is a game to be enjoyed by all sizes of people. I can't really think of another team sport where you can be as broad as a prop, and even overweight, and still have a go at the same sport that a sprinter can play. It makes the sport accessible. The repercussions at amateur level if we were to abandon the scrum would be enormous, as we'd lose tens of thousands of people from the sport. Winning penalties from scrums also broadens the talents needed to win a rugby game and keeps the game interesting. Scrums can also be beautiful. They tie up the whole pack and allow some of the most amazing tries like this to happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tpp0FNXiXk#t=26m38s

*except Cockerill

Now goal has only 1 bar at the 3m height. However, I think that goal should have 2 bars, at the 3m and 18m heights.
Balls over 18m bar are no goal.

Last edited by a moderator: