• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Georgian Rugby

As an answer to the above very little, but they have improved as a national team, would that be the case with Georgia??? only way would be to have promotion and relegation but all that has been done before in various threads.

Have they though? By what measure? Until the last Six Nations, I would have said that at least the thumpings are a much more rare occurrence than in their early days, but they took three heavy defeats in the last tournament and failed to win a game. I'd imagine that their ranking is somewhere near where it was when they were brought in, their domestic league seems to be struggling at the moment and they still rely on foreign born players to hold their team together and remain vaguely competitive.

My point is that many people seem to see inclusion in the X Nations as being the silver bullet for any developing European team, but nobody seems to be explaining what it will achieve in anywhere near a compelling enough manner to make a case for taking action.

Well crowds for internationals in Italy have improved considerably. Most importantly it gave Italy a chance to advance as a rugby nation and join the big boys. Sadly they've completely failed to take that opportunity (so far) and Italian rugby seems low quality and chaotic at all levels at the moment. But that's not a reason to deny that opportunity for development to others.

Unless someone can make a compelling case to say that it will be different for another country, then it is to me.

As an answer to the above very little, but they have improved as a national team, would that be the case with Georgia??? only way would be to have promotion and relegation but all that has been done before in various threads.

You have to delve deeper with Georgia. Their grassroots programmes are very impressive and backed by the government, age grades sides are very competitive (as well as U20, they finished above Italy and Scotland U18 level, and funnily enough the home nations pulled out the year after) as we've seen with the future looking incredibly promising, especially considering they don't really have any pro teams domestically (see Italy). They have a billionaire backer as well who has invested in facilities all across the country and assists with the national team. Not to mention they have nearly 20 or so front row forwards playing in first division and second division leagues across Europe

They are far ahead of Italy in their structural development in my reckoning, if given a shot and with the increased funding it would bring they would make the most of it unlike Italy (and Scotland with BT now) who have sat on there arses until talks of relegation have been mentioned in the last world cup cycle.

They scored more tries than France in last 6N.

And finished with a points difference of more than 23 points per match worse than France! Scoring a solitary try more than the second worst team in the tournament last time out hardly represents significant progress over 16 years to me, particularly as many of these tries were consolation tries in matches that lost shape once the result was beyond doubt.

- - - Updated - - -

You have to delve deeper with Georgia. Their grassroots programmes are very impressive and backed by the government, age grades sides are very competitive (as well as U20, they finished above Italy and Scotland U18 level, and funnily enough the home nations pulled out the year after) as we've seen with the future looking incredibly promising, especially considering they don't really have any pro teams domestically (see Italy). They have a billionaire backer as well who has invested in facilities all across the country and assists with the national team. Not to mention they have nearly 20 or so front row forwards playing in first division and second division leagues across Europe

They are far ahead of Italy in their structural development in my reckoning, if given a shot and with the increased funding it would bring they would make the most of it unlike Italy (and Scotland with BT now) who have sat on there arses until talks of relegation have been mentioned in the last world cup cycle.

Thanks welshglory. That's exactly the sort of explanation I was looking for.

And finished with a points difference of more than 23 points per match worse than France! Scoring a solitary try more than the second worst team in the tournament last time out hardly represents significant progress over 16 years to me, particularly as many of these tries were consolation tries in matches that lost shape once the result was beyond doubt.

A promotion-relegation system can reward progress and help deserving nations like Georgia get a shot at playing T1 nations. Also, declining nations like France and Italy will have to step up or face relegation.

I don't get the conservatism of 'those in charge' because it contradicts their talk of developing the game and prevents a T2 nation like Georgia from moving on.

Last edited:
there is two ways to move forward.

1 - Pro/Rel element in 6 nations, last team must play Home/away matches against Winner of Rugby Europe Championship.
or
7 nations championship, simply adding Georgia in the tournament.

2 - Georgia must get at least 2 Tier1 test matches in November window.
for example:
2017:
Georgia vs Fiji
Argentina vs Georgia
Georgia vs England

2018:
Georgia vs Samoa
Wales vs Georgia
Georgia vs France

and including Georgia U20 in 6 nation U20 championship.

There is a third possibility: 7 Nations with promotion and relegation. That way Scotland and Italy would be easier to convince.

A promotion-relegation system can reward progress and help deserving nations like Georgia get a shot at playing T1 nations. Also, declining nations like France and Italy will have to step up or face relegation.

Possibly slightly contrived, but I wonder if it would be fairer to base the initial demotion on performance over 2 / 3 years. My only worry is that I see a decent chance of whoever the promoted side is going straight back down season in, season out, which wouldn't do a lot for the competition or for the side that has their season in the sun.

I don't get the conservatism of 'those in charge' because it contradicts their talk of developing the game and prevents a T2 nation like Georgia from moving on.

Agreed 100%. As you say, you can't have it both ways, either they want to develop the game or they want to look after the good ol' boys.

I can see the merit in a seven nations, but I'd have thought that porcine aviation in more likely than the international window being extended.

Georgian Lock, Nodar Tcheishvili signed a contract with Northampton Saints. Details will be advertised soon.

cea6c6186cca.jpg

Georgian players in TOP14, Pro D2, English Premiership, Russian Championship, Romanian Superliga:

Total - 75 players
Props - 41
Hookers - 5
Locks - 11
3'd Line - 11
Scrum half - 2
Fly half - 1
Centre - 3
Wing - 1
Fullback - 1

TOP14
Total - 36 players
Props - 23
Hooker - 2
Lock - 2
3'd Line - 6
Backs - 3

Pro D2
Total - 22
Props - 13
hooker - 0
Lock - 3
3'd line - 4
Centre - 1
Wing - 1

English Premiership:
Total - 4 players
Prop - 1
hooker - 1
Lock - 2

Russian championship:
Total - 9 players
Proprs - 5
Lock - 2
3'd Line - 1
Flyhalf - 1
centre - 1

Romanian Super Liga:
Total - 5 players
Hooker - 2
lock - 2
Scrum half - 1

Not included Georgian players who prefer to become naturalized by other countries. Subjects like Valeri Rapava (Val Rapava-Ruskin), Otar Turashvili or Gagi Bazadze.

Anton Peikrishvili signed short term contract with Ulster as medical joker.

Last edited:
Few stats of Lelos in recent years:

Rugby Europe Championship (6 Nations B )
Lelos: last 25 Matches
23 victory, 1 draw (9-9 vs Romania in Bucharest, 2013), 1 defeat (25-18 vs Spain in Madrid, 2012)
scoreline:
for - against
780 : 229
tries:
95 : 16

Tests (Summer-November)
last 16 matches
5 victory, 1 draw, 10 defeat
scoreline:
281 : 367
tries:
24 : 33

General statistics under Milton Haig:
played - 54
Victory - 34
Draw - 2
Defeat - 18
Points - 1286 : 893
Tries - 142 - 80

Last edited:
Milton Haig has named 37 men extended squad for November test series vs Japan, Samoa and Scotland.

Hookers:
Jaba Bregvadze (Worchester Warriors, ENG)
Badri Alkhazashvili (Toulon, FRA)
Giorgi Chkoidze (Lelo Saracens, GEO)

Props:
Mikheil Nariashvili (Montpellier, FRA)
Davit Kubriashvili (Montpellier, FRA)
Karlen Asieshvili (Brive, FRA)
Zurab Zhvania (Stade Francias, FRA)
Vasil Kakovin (Toulouse, FRA)
Levan Chilachava (Toulon, FRA)

Locks:
Giorgi Chkhaidze (Lille, FRA)
Nodar Tcheishvili (Lelo saracens, GEO)
Giorgi Nemsadze (Bristol, ENG)
Konstantin Mikautadze (Montpellier, FRA)

Back row:
Beka Bitsadze (Chambérien, FRA)
Saba Shubitidze (Academy, GEO)
Mamuka Gorgodze (Toulon, FRA)
Shalva Sutiashvili (Soyaux-Angoulême, FRA)
Giorgi Tkhilaishvili (Batumi, GEO)
Viktor Kolelishvili (Clermont, FRA)
Lasha Lomidze (Beziers, FRA)
Beka Gorgadze (Stade Montois, FRA)

Scrum half:

Vasil Lobzhanidze (Brive, FRA)
Giorgi Begadze (Kochebi, GEO)
Vazha Khutsishvili (Locomotive, GEO)

Fly half:
Lasha Khmaladze (Lelo Saracens, GEO)
Lasha Malaguradze (Krasny Yar, RUS)
Revaz Jinchvelashvili (AIA, GEO)

Centres:
Davit Kacharava (Yenisei, RUS)
Merab Sharikadze (Auriliac, FRA)
Giorgi Koshadze (Kharebi, GEO)

Wingers:
Giorgi Aptsiauri (AIA, GEO)
Alexander Todua (Lelo Saracens, GEO)
Tamaz Mtchedzlidze (Agen, FRA)
Anzor Sitchinava (Academy, GEO)

Fullbacks:
Merab Kvirikashvili (Montluçon, FRA)
Beka Tsiklauri (Locomotive, GEO)

Georgian U20 player, Otar Giorgadze (1996) played for Clermont today.

Otar Giorgadze played 2016 U20 Championship, scored a try vs France (Georgia 24 - 27 France).
He was training in Clermont Espoirs. Today he played for senior team together with David Zirakashvili, and Viktor Kolelishvili.

We will see him REC 2017 for sure.

Giorgi Nemsadze named man of the match in Bristol. He scored a try and performed very good.

Georgian Squad for Japan:

1 - Mikheil Nariashvili (Montpellier, FRA)
2 - Jaba Bregvadze (Worchester, ENG)
3 - Levan Chilachava (Toulon, FRA)
4 - Konstantin Mikautadze (Montpellier, FRA)
5 - Giorgi Nemsadze (Bristol, ENG)
6 - Mamuka Gorgodze (Toulon, FRA)
7 - Viktor Kolelishvili (Clermont, FRA)
8 - Beka Bitsadze (Chamberien, FRA)

9 - Vasil Lobzhanidze (Brive, FRA)
10 - Lasha Khmaladze (Lelo Saracens, GEO)
11 - Giorgi Aptsiauri (Lokomotivi, GEO)
12 - Merab Sharikadze (Aurilliac, FRA)
13 - David Kacharava (Enisei, RUS)
14 - Tamaz Mchedlidze (Agen, FRA)
15 - Merab Kvirikashvili (Lelo Saracens, GEO)

16 - Badri Alkhazashvili (Toulon, FRA)
17 - Vasil Kakovin (Toulouse, FRA)
18 - David Kubriashvili (Montpellier, FRA)
19 - Lasha Lomidze (Beziers, FRA)
20 - Giorgi Tkhilaishvili (Batumi, GEO)

21 - Giorgi Begadze (Qochebi, GEO)
22 - Lasha Malaguradze (Krasny Yar, RUS)
23 - Anzor Sichinava (Academy, GEO)

0 tickets left... Stadium will be full.

Last edited by a moderator:
Involve in Rugby

Involve in Rugby

It is a new project from World Rugby which will be done in Georgia by the help of Georgian Rugby Union and "Natakhtari" beer company.
Minister of Sports and youth affairs of Georgia, President of Georgian Rugby Union and president of Rugby Association of Georgia will lead this project.

Project will start from 2017 and will include additional 3500 kids from 170 schools. These Kids will participate in "Lemonade Cup" (School championship) and it will become biggest sport event in High Schools of all Georgia.

Latest posts