• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Game of Thrones Discussion [SPOILERS]

It was only a unneeded distraction to those who couldn't see past the fact it was Ed Sheeran, the scene fitted into the episode just fine IMO.

yes the scene was fine and fitted into the episode. But Ed Sheerin stuck at like a sore thumb and didn't know how to act or look in the scene. He looked awkward imo. Hence why I think he distracted from and he didn't fit the scene and there was no need for him being there. It would have worked better with an unknown actor who could sing.

It's a weird one,
I, too, felt like sheeran was an unnecessary distraction but then when you think about it....why? I mean his acting wasn't distractingly bad, he did well enough delivering his lines. If they stuck a famous actor rather than famous singer nobody would bat an eye.
Like if Tom Hardy was just a random Lord in it for 2mins, would people say he was an unnecessary distraction?

It's a weird one,
I, too, felt like sheeran was an unnecessary distraction but then when you think about it....why? I mean his acting wasn't distractingly bad, he did well enough delivering his lines. If they stuck a famous actor rather than famous singer nobody would bat an eye.
Like if Tom Hardy was just a random Lord in it for 2mins, would people say he was an unnecessary distraction?
I think it was the way that he seemed to linger in every shot. It seemed unnecessary and unnatural, maybe it was just noticeable because it was Sheeran but I do think he was in shot for an abnormal amount of time considering he said a total of about 10 words. I thought it was seemed quite clear that he was rammed into every shot for no other reason that he's a celebrity, and that's why the cameo sticks out so much. I don't mind at all that Sheeran was in it but I do think the scene was directed in a way that centred on him and that's what my issue is with.

At least it wasn't as bad as the David Beckham cameo in that new King Arthur film...

Agree with Olyy though, scene was definitely to soften Arya up after she just murdered an entire house. Shows her realizing that just because they're wearing her enemies colours, doesn't mean they're automatically horrible people who need to be killed.

Ed Sheeran cameo was a bit naff, but genuinely wasn't quite as bad as I expected. Read somewhere apparently the song is actually from the books, been ages since I read them so can't remember if that's true?

Wasn't a completely groundbreaking episode, but it did a good job of setting stuff up for the episodes to come.

At least it wasn't as bad as the David Beckham cameo in that new King Arthur film...

Agree with Olyy though, scene was definitely to soften Arya up after she just murdered an entire house. Shows her realizing that just because they're wearing her enemies colours, doesn't mean they're automatically horrible people who need to be killed.

Ed Sheeran cameo was a bit naff, but genuinely wasn't quite as bad as I expected. Read somewhere apparently the song is actually from the books, been ages since I read them so can't remember if that's true?

Wasn't a completely groundbreaking episode, but it did a good job of setting stuff up for the episodes to come.
In the books the song is sung by a drunken Tyrion.

I was just surprised Ayra didn't murderlise him for being a Lannister, not sure what the point of the scene was.

My feeling was the same as others that it was intended to give us an insight into her psyche (i.e. that she's not a total kill anyone as soon as look at them psycho) or to show that her character has the capacity for change. I take your point, but I don't see that showing that she's not an out and out psychopath invalidates the House of Black and White arc - she still has the capabilities that she games which she no doubt will make the most of in the right circumstances, as she did earlier in the episode. I like @TobyBeastTeague's theory, although I'd question whether she'd have mentioned killing the queen if it is her intention.

The scene smacks of a bit of a power trip for the showrunners along the lines of "we're so big we can get him to do a cameo", but I can't get too upset about it. As a This Is England fan, I was much more distracted by Thomas Turgoose. Apparently the other actor with a speaking part was Pete Postlethwaite's son.

Apart from the opening it was a bit of a 'meh' episode. Dany finally arrives at Westeros at the most heavilly defendable keep in 7 Kingdoms, and nobody is there since Stannis left....her taking it would of been a real show of power.

As others have intimated, who would / should have been there to take it from? I can't see that anyone would have had the wherewithall and reason to have occupied it when Stannis shipped out.

Jon and Sansa look ready to knife one another for power.

According to Sophie Turner, she will become quite unlikable in this season (not that I really have for the duration). I'm not sure that she is power hungry herself, but can't claim any idea of what her agenda is. To me her behavior is either a result of what she's been through (making her vengeful and mistrusting) or that she's still being cleverly manipulated by Littlefinger.

Euron turns up and thinks he's Captain Jack Sparrow.

I don't suppose us TV only people had much to go on about him from previous seasons, but from what I understand, he's a much toned down version of the book character. It would be a shame if he's to be a comic character, not the next Ramsey Bolton.

I mean its okay the first couple of episodes will be about getting pieces in place anyway....

It's only natural that this episode would be setting the scene as in previous seasons, if you look at how individual episodes have been received, season openers are among the poorest. However, given how little time there is left to tell the remainder of the story, I found it rather disappointing, with the possible exception of the cheese and wine party at The Twins, it did nothing to progress the story.

I agree with the a point that I've read elsewhere that it seems strange that Gregor Clegane was quite so adept at having a vision in the flames.

Anyone care to guess what the gift Euron intends to bring Cersie is? Given the geography, the obvious answer seems to be that he's off to Dragonstone to do a bit of headhunting, but it seems rather a clumsy way of progressing things.

Now that the protagonists know where to find dragonglass, who's off to get it? I'd guess that Tarley will abandon his studies and end up in Dragonstone along with Ser Jorah who will find his salvation. Will Jon Snow travel south and leave Sansa in charge up north?

Littlefinger is going to be THE biggest arsehole this season IMO as opposed to a secondary arsehole.

Anyone care to guess what the gift Euron intends to bring Cersie is? Given the geography, the obvious answer seems to be that he's off to Dragonstone to do a bit of headhunting, but it seems rather a clumsy way of progressing things.

Now that the protagonists know where to find dragonglass, who's off to get it? I'd guess that Tarley will abandon his studies and end up in Dragonstone along with Ser Jorah who will find his salvation. Will Jon Snow travel south and leave Sansa in charge up north?

my guess is that Jon will go with his select posse, and Littlefinger will get into Sansa's head and make her do something stupid like start another war or some ****.

Sansa IMO head is firmly pointed at Lannisters whilst Jon's head is pointed at the White Walkers. (which is understandable since both don't understand the full horrors of the other).

From what I remember from the books, Euron is just meant to pretty terrifying and evil in a non-camp way. Like his ship is called the Silence because all his crew are mute and they weren't born mute.

It's not even as if they mixed him and Victarian as he was more of a Viking type, it's just weird characterisation.

Agree that the campfire scene was meant to soften Arya.

I think Cleganebowl is definitely going to happen and I'm very intrigued about whether Sandor is going to be attacking or defending someone.

I think people are being a bit OTT on the Sheeran bit FFS. (Not so on here but other platforms. It wasn't a standout but I could see the point of the scene).

I mean he didn't ruin it, people are hating just becuase it's a celeb cameo IMO. (And this is from someone who isn't a fan of his).

Yeah nice try mate but you're wrong, it was irritating as ****.

I was really hoping he'd get gruesomely killed which would have rescued the whole cringy idea a little bit, but instead he sang a ******* song, which only escalated the cringe. Some struggling actor could've had that exposure

From what I remember from the books, Euron is just meant to pretty terrifying and evil in a non-camp way. Like his ship is called the Silence because all his crew are mute and they weren't born mute.

It's not even as if they mixed him and Victarian as he was more of a Viking type, it's just weird characterisation.

Agree that the campfire scene was meant to soften Arya.

I think Cleganebowl is definitely going to happen and I'm very intrigued about whether Sandor is going to be attacking or defending someone.
As soon as the Hound said he saw a mountain in the fire my cleganebowlboner went from 6 to midnight

He's a notoriously slow writer and wants everything to be perfect before release.
He's released a few short stories and the such since the last ASOIAF book.

How many are the same story?

It depends what you mean by "story". By my definition, there are tens, if not hundreds in the A Song of Ice and Fire books (on which Game of Thrones is based) that have been published so far alone. A lot of what he has written is set in the same world as Game of Thrones in the same was that a lot of Tolkein's fictional prose was set in Middle Earth. His Wikipedia page gives a decent overview.

I think I've linked to this guy's videos before, but as this is a new thread, if you're as big a GoT nerd as me (and judging by some posts, quite a few are) this guy's YouTube channel is well worth subscribing to:

He gives his view on most things we've discussed thus far.

I wouldn't be surprised to see her turn around halfway to Kings Landing and head north to her family reunion instead.
Called it! I bloody hate how Jon heads south as she heads north, though. Things like that always happen in TV.

Really enjoyed that episode, I'm fully loving this season so far.
Can't wait to see what Littlefinger is scheming, his little smirk after getting wall-slammed. Definitely going to try and turn everyone on Jon.
Love the return of the wolfpack! They mention it a lot in the books, I just presumed they'd cut it from the show. Nymeria is the size of a bloody shire horse! No doubt they'll crop up again if/when Arya is in trouble

The sex scene and then the lesbian kiss felt really tacked on, though.
Boat battle made up for it.

Last edited:
Entertaining, but was it that enjoyable an episode? You predicted Arya's change of direction, the preview gave the Yara / Ellaria bit away, the world and his wife knew that Jon Snow would head south at some point (I think a trailer might have given this away too). All that leaves is Arya finding her pet dog and a very enjoyable look at Missandei's boobs!

Presumably there was a point to Nymeria turning up which will be revealed in due course. That and the nature of Littlefinger's scheme seem to be the only questions posed by the episode. Talking of Littlefinger, I loved the way that he told Jon Snow that he wanted to shag his step-mum and now wants to shag his sister and seemed slightly surprised by the reaction it provoked!

I'm really not a fan of the near impossible coincidences going on. I get that because the show's coming to and end it's the time for characters to come together but both of Arya's scenes were b*llshit. The chances of her first just happening to turn up in the same inn that Hot Pie works in are miniscule and for her to then encounter Nymeria is even more of a kick in the balls. It's nota huge deal but I've always considered GOT to be above these random coincidences so often deployed by other shows and films.

Other than that though the episode was good. Very much a set-up episode with not much going on but it fulfilled it's role.
The Jorah scene was very hard to watch. Huge credit has to be given to the special effects department for that one, it was ghastly.

Latest posts