• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France v Wales

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Buceph @ Feb 27 2009, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Actually, I think it was a very Munster like performance.[/b]
I disagree. A Munster-like performance would have guaranteed a 30 point victory.
I really am gutted at how awful we were today.

Dullonien I can see is lurking down there. Wonder what his verdict will be. ^.^

By the way I can't wait to read the UK newspapers who said that Lièvremont was a wacko tomorrow... ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stillknox @ Feb 27 2009, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
By the way I can't wait to read the UK newspapers who said that Lièvremont was a wacko tomorrow... ;)[/b]
You could say the French performance was for him.
If he'd lost that one, you guys would have hung him in the gallows in the centre of Paris.

Congratulations France.

All I've got time to say tonight, as I found out my g'f and I have been evicted from our flat. The landlord had fallen behind with his mortgage repayments, and the bank is repossesing the house.

Alltogether, not a good day atall, Wales loosing made things worse, but France deserved the win.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Feb 27 2009, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Am I the only one who detected a nudge at the final lineout? It looked like during the brief moment it happened, but meh. No point in whingeing about something as feeble; France should have won by far more. 20+ points went begging due to silly errors and the lack of a good kicker and everything we did for the final 55 minutes suited them. Martyn was very good again. Stole some valuable ball which was hoofed aimlessly away again and again...[/b]

No it would seem Gatland has had a whinge about it in his post match interviews.

I only managed to catch parts of the game.

Honestly can't wait to catch it on iPlayer, sounds like a total cracker!

COngratulations to France and comiserations to Wales.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Feb 27 2009, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Congratulations France.

All I've got time to say tonight, as I found out my g'f and I have been evicted from our flat. The landlord had fallen behind with his mortgage repayments, and the bank is repossesing the house.

Alltogether, not a good day atall, Wales loosing made things worse, but France deserved the win.[/b]

Holy Sh**!!!! :( :( :( :(

Be safe, alright? I hope you manage to sort something out!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Feb 28 2009, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Am I the only one who detected a nudge at the final lineout? It looked like during the brief moment it happened, but meh. No point in whingeing about something as feeble; France should have won by far more. 20+ points went begging due to silly errors and the lack of a good kicker and everything we did for the final 55 minutes suited them. Martyn was very good again. Stole some valuable ball which was hoofed aimlessly away again and again...[/b]
Yeah, definite push. Bit of panic from France because of the previous long throw I guess. But you can't complain - could have been a few cartes jaunes for Wales tonight!

Agree with the rest.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Feb 28 2009, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Overall: most intense game of the tournament so far. I don't know about my fellow Welshers and Frenchers but I almost had a heart attack.[/b]
Apart from the final minutes, Ireland/France was more intense.

I guess it depends on what country you support. I don't know how the Irish population survived that match if it was more intense than tonight's...

I know I'm going to make myself even more unpopular amongst welsh support but I really at this stage wouldn't start Powell. I'd start
Ryan at 8 and Jones ella at 6.

I think Powell is a perfect Impact sub actually

and also. Anyone have any thoughts on Gatland's substitution tactics?.. personally i thought he changed things up too much with both peel and Hook
coming on along with Henson. Personally wouldn't have taken Jones off in that game.

Before, in the autumn internationals against Australia, Jones wasn't kicking well but Gatland stuck with them, he started kicking well and they won the game.

But also, there was a fundamental error in the strategy.. kicking deep to the french and not following up well.. now thats not ever going to work.

They were lucky Clemont wasn't on!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stillknox @ Feb 28 2009, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
By the way I can't wait to read the UK newspapers who said that Lièvremont was a wacko tomorrow... ;)[/b]
See the post just before yours - France should have won by a lot more, so Lievre doesn't get full marks. The squad has huge talent and must do better.

Ibanez said on UK tv that the French press were calling for his head during the week, so I guess the England match will be the real test.

Agree with JohnBE - Jones had to stay on, and Powell should be a 60 min replacement. Gatland's policy at that stage of the match has been poor in this championship.

Just coming back from Stade de France (my first presence for a 6N match)

Just one thing to say: MERCI BEAUCOUP
This was the time and the place to react, you did it

wow. I got the text with the result just as i was going into a club and boy did i dance sweet!

i have to say I like the welsh lots more when they're a good team but still it's great to see the bubble burst.

sorry for being so english...

Jeez how good is Harinordoquy, absoloutely the standout loose forward in the championship. Infact all the French loose forwards were immense, if only the the French can get a good solid ten then they will again be the best European side. Wales made a few mistakes but i thought this game was even better than the one at Croker, just tremendous intensity, great skills. A proper top notch test match, cheers to Wales for going on such a great winning run. Most sides in the world would have lost to France last night.

Who's going to win the championship now? dont have a clue.. :D

Somebody needs to make a big hits highlight real from this match, the tackling from both sides was absolutely brutal.

France showed the type of composure that they had in beating the All Blacks last night.

Wales have no shame in losing out there, bigger teams have lost there. They just need to sort out there errors and give away less penalties in future. The team doesn't need massive changes, just need to keep heads up and prepare for italy.

I just hope Ingerland and Flood don't leak to many points today or a championship decider will be out of reach. I can see Ireland clicking today and England may not have a reply.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluemoon @ Feb 28 2009, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
France showed the type of composure that they had in beating the All Blacks last night.

Wales have no shame in losing out there, bigger teams have lost there. They just need to sort out there errors and give away less penalties in future. The team doesn't need massive changes, just need to keep heads up and prepare for italy.

I just hope Ingerland and Flood don't leak to many points today or a championship decider will be out of reach. I can see Ireland clicking today and England may not have a reply.[/b]

well even if we do put up a score today, likelihood is you'll do the same against Italy and to be honest I see our game being as close as last night's so the championship is more than on for Wales.

Great game, and we can do ten times beter in the future. We didn't have a real kicker and no number 10. We were so fookin close from losing it with that Henson choker and Martyn's charge stopped just a meter short. See when we decide to fight and defend fast and close to the rucks we don't need that mythical french magic to win games.

I have to say kudos to Wales though, the simple fact that french press calls les bleus heroes today shows how good a side they are, the best in the NH without a doubt. Shanklin particularly impressed me as i was in the stadium. He is strong as a rock and unlike many strong centres he can handle the ball. Fantastic speed by Byrne on Wales try too.

Harinordoquy, Jauzion and Dusautoir are clearly the best french players at the moment. Bastareaud was great and spectacular to watch gosh the guy probably had an entire horse for dinner after that.
Happy for Lievremont too, he will now have way more credibility and he will need it to carry on with his strategy.

The tournament is so open now : who the hell will have the win is clearly unpredictable. The irish look to be in good shape though, and I believe they can get the slam.

I never saw that coming. Especially as Wales were playing their best rugby of the whole tournament so far.

That is all.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 28 2009, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well even if we do put up a score today, likelihood is you'll do the same against Italy and to be honest I see our game being as close as last night's so the championship is more than on for Wales.[/b]

Hopefully results go the right way so that it only comes down to winner/loser of the last game, no points difference ****, I think we both hate that. And hats off to France they needed to step up and step up they did. We were pretty much shut down in the second half. :bravo: Also with that game it looks like Friday night is here to stay.

Latest posts