• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Food!

Never go on looks when it comes to food :p

I like mediteranean and more general Spanish kitchen most, it's the food I'm most familiar with. Not sure if there's something like Belgian Cuisine :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Oct 7 2008, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't know the best but the worst is by far German food.[/b]

There's no such thing as "best" food.

There's a number of criterias though, according to which you can evaluate food.

Those are: (not in order)
-taste
-cost
-nutritional balance
-look
-time it takes to prepare

It's a bit late now so I'll post again tomorrow...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 8 2008, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Those kebabs look nice Lekso, as do the dumpling style wrap things.[/b]

Yeah! they are nice and tasty at the same time but neither of above posted are Kabab

Despite Kabab entered Georgia in far centuries and it became one of the main parts of Georgian "table"

the first picture is Khinkali and the second is Mcvadi (a piece of roasted meat)

While Kabab in Georgian is done in different way ;)

Fair enough, I shouldn't have been so ignorant! I class things on sticks as a kebab, when it obviously isn't. My appologies Lekso.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 8 2008, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Fair enough, I shouldn't have been so ignorant! I class things on sticks as a kebab, when it obviously isn't. My appologies Lekso.[/b]

Come on bro..... :D nothing to apologise for........ ;)

I'll make your food knowledge more stick free ;) :lol: ;) :lol:

Yeah Georgian arew fond of tasty food and wish you to come across Geo food

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 7 2008, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Biltong. I win.

I know it's more of a snack but that doesn't stop me from eating a whole 200g piece for supper. BTW my parents own a biltong shop so I get alot free. :p READ IT AND WEEP![/b]

You are one lucky *******.

Biltong must be our greatest invention yet, screw the creepy crawly, dried salted raw meat is where it's at.

I had shark Biltrong once, was white from all the salt, very nice though.

as much as I like the different foods of the world from time to time, there's nothing that I love more than some Vleis, reis en aardappels.
Can be anything from steak to sheep to pork (usually some nice chops though) with a nice big helping of rice and potatoes covered (drowned in my case) with brown sauce and vineger. Preferably made by my grandmother.

.... now I can't stop thinking about that meal. :mellow:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 7 2008, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Fair enough, I shouldn't have been so ignorant! I class things on sticks as a kebab, when it obviously isn't. My appologies Lekso.[/b]

Kebab here is what in other countries is often called döner or pita :p

People of different places can think they're discussing the same dish, when talking about completely different things XD

Best curry recipe EVER - here:

http://www.arax15.dsl.pipex.com/

My sister in law (surname Malik) got up before me for a second helping.

Laetca, you barbarian - sushi is amazing, but really expensive.

The best food I've tasted was in Brussels, but the beer might have clouded my judgement.

I'm with Laetca on the sushi front. Then again, the only fish I like anyway is cod (the battered kind).

Laetca watch this
This is doner made up of meat and several other tasty ingrediants (I have eaten the best Doner in Baku)
30283585_0f84579cda.jpg

While this is Kabab made up of sheep meat (mostly, as it is middle east food) and the thinnest possible spcial bread wrapped around meat which is roasted
Doner%20Layout-Lamb-Small.gif

What about Sushi I am with you

I also like Hungarian and Norway food

if im cooking to impress a lady, quite often it will be, lamb racks (NZ of course) with lots of garlic and rosemary, then some mashed potato and kumura (Seprate) with beans which have been blanched in garlic.

or a simple port flamed chicken. firstly saute some onions garlic and bacon in a pan. cut chicken into strips, then start frying in a little bit of oil, then throw in a splashing of old masters twany port. then some cream. now depending on how its served, you can put in some potatoes, which have been boiled prior or some fresh cooked fettachini. mix these in, with some mushrooms and alot more port. depending on how strong you like it. remember that you need to cook the alcohol out of the port or else it tastes like ass. but dont over cook your chicken!

b-e-a-utiful.

how ever i cant wait a couple of months untill bluff oyster season. little bit of salt and pepper, lemon. balsamic vinegar. slurp! yum!!! and for the non experianced of the bluff oysters, if youve tried oysters but not bluff oysters, you havent had oysters.

In Europe, we have 'eurokebab', which is tasteless 1am drunkards food. It is not authentic, just like the indian, thai and chinese takeaway.

In Turkey, the word kebab is actually kebap, and it is open to interpretation and depening on what region you are in, it will look and taste different. The further east you go, the more basic and tastier it gets generally. But my personal favourite is to sit in a cafe on the street and have a chicken doner, which would be freshly baked bread (like half a bloomer, but it's still warm and soft from being cooked) and then they add the chicken which has some spices with it, some salad, tomato and then you normally add a spice or powder to it.. it's a spice but i am not sure which.

I haven't had one for years, but the best food is where the locals eat. If you tried one, you'd never eat that revolting sh*t you get here unless you know a guy like i do who makes the chicken doner himself by made. As a plus, it is so popular even the police go there. So you are always safe!

I have had delicious meals in roadside cafes in Turkey as it's all make fresh to order with quick service and it's very nice.

Also, pide is great too. Again very simple, it's just a flat bread with a filling of finely minced lamb, tomato, herbs and vegetables. It's baked, tastes delicious, it very healthy and filling usually you can have an egg cracked on top. I'm gonna give one a go at home. I might even post some photos!

*Homemade cookery thread*

From a geographical point of view, it is remarkable that you have good food almost everywhere on the planet( mediterranea, middle east, asia, south america) except for northern Europe (and related countries: Canada Usa Aus Nz).

There may be a lack of good aliments and climate also has a part, but I feel it is above all protestantism who influenced those societies, i.e: food is not important. You eat to live, and not to enjoy it.
That leads us to today situation, where you can find tasty stuff, but that will usually be very poor in nutritional balance (fish and chips) or with a very plain taste .
From experience, eating together a good meal is very important in a lot of cultures, where people will spend a lot of time cooking. Whereas say in Sweden, you eat because you have to.
Also you have places where it's impossible to buy say fresh vegetables tasting like vegetables, or meat that is not packaged in a plastic thing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boggle @ Oct 7 2008, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 7 2008, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Biltong. I win.

I know it's more of a snack but that doesn't stop me from eating a whole 200g piece for supper. BTW my parents own a biltong shop so I get alot free. READ IT AND WEEP![/b]

You are one lucky *******.

Biltong must be our greatest invention yet, screw the creepy crawly, dried salted raw meat is where it's at.

I had shark Biltrong once, was white from all the salt, very nice though.

as much as I like the different foods of the world from time to time, there's nothing that I love more than some Vleis, reis en aardappels.
Can be anything from steak to sheep to pork (usually some nice chops though) with a nice big helping of rice and potatoes covered (drowned in my case) with brown sauce and vineger. Preferably made by my grandmother.

.... now I can't stop thinking about that meal.
[/b][/quote]

Now we talking! Braai vleis ,droë pap, and tomato & onion sauce (with loads of pepper) is the ultimate mans meal for me. Add biltong and a beer for a starter, and milk tart as dessert and you got a little piece of heaven right there

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laetca @ Oct 7 2008, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Odd, I read recently that "to the British, a muffin isn't necessarily a sweet cupcake, as they are much more accustomed to hearty versions. Over the channel, cheese-, ham- or vegetable muffins aren't an oddity".

I try to enjoy dishes from all over the world, but I don't like sushi. I know many people praise it as the best thing ever to be invented, if I ever want to taste the sea I'll go swimming and take a gulp of it.[/b]

Well, I'm also keen on sushi, as it's something different, I like eating with chopsticks, soya, wasabi etc...
It's just something different and healthy to eat , not greassy :D

Ooh, someone mentioned sushi - yes!
Oh, and paella! With extra seafood

Actually i want to make a quick edit to my list

1) Seafood
2) Indian
3) Chinese

I'm classing Clam Chowder as seafood as well!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LeksoRugby @ Oct 8 2008, 06:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Haysie @ Oct 7 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who has the best food? Personally I like the oriental spices of the sub-continent, and AUSTRALIAN STEAK. :D[/b]

I think the question is subjective

Anyway I put the words every tourist speaks about Georgian "kitchen": "Wow! it's amazing and especially I remember Khinkali and Mcvadi, and of course Georgian wine"

xinkali.jpg
Khinkali

Mcvadi.jpg
Mcvadi

610x.jpg
Georgian wine ;)

Lets Drink ;) ;) ;)
[/b][/quote]

Damn that looks good you make a good red in Georgia? i love red wine. B)

I like food generally evidence of that is my figure which is akin to a sphere. :p

Latest posts