• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Finn Russell

Rxnnie147

Academy Player
Could someone more knowledgeable that myself please explain why Finn Russell is not eligible for selection for the Scotland vs Fiji game please? I've tried googling it but all I can find is this is because it's outside the international window but I'm not sure I understand what this means exactly. How can the Autumn internationals be "outside" the international window? Finn Russell plays in the premiership but the entire England squad are being released from the premiership for the New Zealand game play on the same date. Probably a simple explanation but I can't find the answers on the net. Any help on clearing this on up would be appreciated. Thanks

There are three set weeks for Internationals in November. The Fiji game is the week before.

The RFU have a deal with the prem clubs to release their players for a game outside of this window each year I believe. The SRU don't have the same luxury.

Yeah, the RFU pay for extra access to players - all other nations are offered the same, but no one has taken them up on it because it's not worth it
Scotland probably creeping closer to wanting/needing to do it with how many Prem players they cap, though

Yeah, the RFU pay for extra access to players - all other nations are offered the same, but no one has taken them up on it because it's not worth it
Scotland probably creeping closer to wanting/needing to do it with how many Prem players they cap, though
And Wales too what with our 3rd region (Gloucester) and others like Griffin, Smith, Jenkins, Tshiunza etc etc.

Ah right! Makes sense. Thanks all for clearing that one up for me. Much appreciated. Like I said I couldn't find much on the net, other than it's outside the international window which at first until you guys explained confused me even more. Thanks again 👍🏻