• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

FIFA vs PES

I'll just add one thing to this, just to stir up a hornets nest...

For years people have slated the Fifa series for "only having a roster update and a few minor tweaks", yet now I ask, what are the major updated in the last few PES games, bar the odd roster update and a few minor tweaks...
[/b]

I wanna see you try and improve on perfection

We slate EA

Look at Madden now they have no competition.........sliding down the quality stakes year after year

For years people have slated the Fifa series for "only having a roster update and a few minor tweaks", yet now I ask, what are the major updated in the last few PES games, bar the odd roster update and a few minor tweaks...
[/b]

PES considers a "innovation" or "revolution in football" when they get the license for one more team :lol:

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

PES considers a "innovation" or "revolution in football" when they get the license for one more team :lol:
[/b][/quote]

EA considers an officially liscensed product as a simulation :lol:

[/b]

Have you played every version for any length of time?

They feel very different once you look past the graphical update, believe me.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Have you played every version for any length of time?

They feel very different once you look past the graphical update, believe me.
[/b][/quote]

Yea ive heard that theyve tweaked with the speed of the gameplay a lot from version to version and its been hard for them to find that right gameplay speed.

EA considers an officially liscensed product as a simulation [/b]

give this man a medal

fifa is **** and pro evolution soccer shits on it accordingly

How do you know that lora? You claim you don't play Fifa. So you can't say it's ****.

That's like discovering a new food then saying it tastes horrible before you've even tried it.

For years people have slated the Fifa series for "only having a roster update and a few minor tweaks", yet now I ask, what are the major updated in the last few PES games, bar the odd roster update and a few minor tweaks... [/b]

I can't agree with that.

The series feels markedly different every year. Sure, it's still football, same buttons etc, but it's traditional to play the first few games of PES and think:

It feels really different.

It does, more or less. It has taken me the best part of all the time I've had the game to adjust from PES4 to PES5. 5 is a midfield battle, the emphasis was on all out attack with 4.

It changes in look and feel every year. But the goalies are always shite.

Well guys, as I've stated before, I am a staunch PES fan, and so it was only with fairly average interest that I downloaded and installed the Fifa 07 demo last night.

I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. First up, it's worth noting that whilst the engine has been completely rebuilt for Xbox 360, the current gen versions are still heavily based on the old engine. One thing which they have done however is make the ball an entirely separate entity - it is no longer linked to the player animation. It sounds like a small thing, but it makes a world of difference to the physics and overall gameplay - it all feels a lot closer to pro evo and that is no bad thing. The players also move and interact with one another far more convincingly - there is some great jostling for the ball in the air, as well as associated free kicks. There is also a host of additional animations which add a lot to the feel, as well as precision shots which allow a better placed but slower shot which can lead to some great goals if timed right.

When you combine this improved gameplay with all the usual polish, licenses and a supposedly improved manager mode, I think Fifa will be a serious contender this year... oooh I feel dirty just saying it....

i have played it, my mate loves the silly little game, ibe played every version since 96, and since rtwc 98 there hasnt been a good fifa game.

Fifa 98 was ****... Fifa 99 however was frikkin' awsome, so too was Fifa 2000.

thereafter;

2001 - ****
2002 - ******
WC 2002 - Highly enjoyable, all the bells and whistles with the gameplay to back it up
2003 - Playable
2004 - Fun
2005 - Take it or leave it
2006 - Great

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a 'silly little game'., as you so eliquently put it.

Still, it's impressive how a 'silly little game' can outsell "the amazing" PES by 5:2.

Fifa 98 was ****... Fifa 99 however was frikkin' awsome, so too was Fifa 2000.

thereafter;

2001 - ****
2002 - ******
WC 2002 - Highly enjoyable, all the bells and whistles with the gameplay to back it up
2003 - Playable
2004 - Fun
2005 - Take it or leave it
2006 - Great

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a 'silly little game'., as you so eliquently put it.

Still, it's impressive how a 'silly little game' can outsell "the amazing" PES by 5:2.
[/b]
That's possibly due to marketing, as iPods sell ridiculously well, yet aren't best product on the market... in other words, doesn't really have anything to do with which is better.

Like most things it'll come down to personal taste, I enjoy Fifa, so I get those.

for someone who i believe is a very intelligent person that is an extremely weak arguement you gave there, sales mean nothing, it doesnt mean its a better game.

i mean agadududu push pineapples shake the tree, probably outsold many a good song.

and theres been plenty of **** movies that has outgrossed some absolute classics.

In the last couple of days I downloaded the FIFA '07 demo, mainly out of pure curiosity as to whether it really had improved and could rival PES as some people had claimed. I have been wrong in the past. Once.

Anyway, having played it properly for a reasonable amount amount of time, I have concluded that it still absolutely sucks.

This game really is awful, and feels nothing like football whatsoever.

The ball, which has apparently been made a separate entity for animation purposes, feels so light that you might as well be using a beachball. The thing floats around with no apparent concern for the laws of physics.

I was under the impression that it would now ping around realsitically, a la PES, but sadly this is not the case.

Scoring a goal is not in the slightest bit satisfying, as it does not feel like you have any real control over the shot. Taking the risk of putting more power on the shot doesn't seem to have enough of an effect on the height and accuracy of the strike.

I can imagine that after playing the full version it would be possible to work out positions where you can score from every time.

There is an extraordinary lack of difference between the players. Speed seems to be the only factor which really makes a difference. Another gripe I have is that players can sprint just as fast with the ball at their feet as they can without it. This may only sound like a small thing, but it is infuriating trying in vain to catch up with an opposition player dribbling away from you.

Which leads me nicely on to defending: this area is so clunky is just becomes a chore. For some reason, the 'Change Player' button is mapped to the same control as 'Pass' on attack. Not being used to this strange layout made for some frantic occasions of trying to select a new man using the wrong button.

Tackling is poor at best. Running into the man with the ball seems the only reliable way of winning it back, as neither the conservative or slide tackles can be relied upon to do what you want. Slide tackles especially are absolutely impossible to perform at any angle other than the perfect one as programmed into the game. Any other attempt simply ends in an embarassing lunge into thin air.

The much faunted FIFA graphics are equally as dire. Licensed kits are no good at all when they have been mapped onto bodies which just lookout of proportion. Faces are just as bad, with a lack of texture and a very 2D feel to them.

Obviously this was not the full version, but anything short of a full overhaul will not save this. All the options and licenses in the world cannot make this feel any more like real football.

IMO they need to get rid of the current engine for next years version, it just doesn't work. Everything feels far too light, the ball and players just don't have a feeling of real interaction.

My advice for people who usually play PES - stick to it. This will give you nowhere near the same level of satisfaction, and is definately not worth splashing your hard earned cash on.

My advice for people who usually play PES - stick to it. This will give you nowhere near the same level of satisfaction, and is definately not worth splashing your hard earned cash on.
[/b]

SFW - THATS ALL I NEED TO KNOW :D :bana:

you tube is just infested with PES6 gameplay footage on x360 - well there's one clip, but about 100 different qualities

DEADSET - PES6 IS GONNA KILL IT AGAIN

I have seen this footage, and its smacks FIFA to bits.......once again its the ball physics that separate the grown ups from the kids

Never send a child to do a mans job...EA releasing FIFA is just that

In the last couple of days I downloaded the FIFA '07 demo, mainly out of pure curiosity as to whether it really had improved and could rival PES as some people had claimed. I have been wrong in the past. Once.

Anyway, having played it properly for a reasonable amount amount of time, I have concluded that it still absolutely sucks.

This game really is awful, and feels nothing like football whatsoever.

The ball, which has apparently been made a separate entity for animation purposes, feels so light that you might as well be using a beachball. The thing floats around with no apparent concern for the laws of physics.

I was under the impression that it would now ping around realsitically, a la PES, but sadly this is not the case.

Scoring a goal is not in the slightest bit satisfying, as it does not feel like you have any real control over the shot. Taking the risk of putting more power on the shot doesn't seem to have enough of an effect on the height and accuracy of the strike.

I can imagine that after playing the full version it would be possible to work out positions where you can score from every time.

There is an extraordinary lack of difference between the players. Speed seems to be the only factor which really makes a difference. Another gripe I have is that players can sprint just as fast with the ball at their feet as they can without it. This may only sound like a small thing, but it is infuriating trying in vain to catch up with an opposition player dribbling away from you.

Which leads me nicely on to defending: this area is so clunky is just becomes a chore. For some reason, the 'Change Player' button is mapped to the same control as 'Pass' on attack. Not being used to this strange layout made for some frantic occasions of trying to select a new man using the wrong button.

Tackling is poor at best. Running into the man with the ball seems the only reliable way of winning it back, as neither the conservative or slide tackles can be relied upon to do what you want. Slide tackles especially are absolutely impossible to perform at any angle other than the perfect one as programmed into the game. Any other attempt simply ends in an embarassing lunge into thin air.

The much faunted FIFA graphics are equally as dire. Licensed kits are no good at all when they have been mapped onto bodies which just lookout of proportion. Faces are just as bad, with a lack of texture and a very 2D feel to them.

Obviously this was not the full version, but anything short of a full overhaul will not save this. All the options and licenses in the world cannot make this feel any more like real football.

IMO they need to get rid of the current engine for next years version, it just doesn't work. Everything feels far too light, the ball and players just don't have a feeling of real interaction.

[/b]

SFW pwns the myth that FIFA is improving.

Let's see what Teh Mite can do to persude anyone otherwise. :lol:

What can I arue with? I ain't played it yet.

Hardly think a PC demo can compare to a full version on a console though.

Latest posts