• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fantasy Sports Enthusiast / Rugby Novice

HobNob

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
I assume members of this forum are aware that Guiness are running a Fantasy game for the Six Nations.
I played ESPNScrums World Cup game and did relatively well even though I knew very little about the game. Research, research, research. The World Cup was easy though as rotating the high scoring backs against the minnows was the key in that game.
With this being much tighter than the World Cup I'm asking for a little advice.
Looking at the odds via the bookies helps but there is very little (so far) in regards to Six Nation previews online.
Any help as far as must have players (try scorers - the further back in the field the better, best kickers, and cheapies/smaller/unknown players that will at least play).

Look forward to any responses.

HobNob

I assume members of this forum are aware that Guiness are running a Fantasy game for the Six Nations.
I played ESPNScrums World Cup game and did relatively well even though I knew very little about the game. Research, research, research. The World Cup was easy though as rotating the high scoring backs against the minnows was the key in that game.
With this being much tighter than the World Cup I'm asking for a little advice.
Looking at the odds via the bookies helps but there is very little (so far) in regards to Six Nation previews online.
Any help as far as must have players (try scorers - the further back in the field the better, best kickers, and cheapies/smaller/unknown players that will at least play).

Look forward to any responses.

HobNob

Probably the key factor- apart from high scoring backs (you can get very lucky/unlucky some weeks when wingers have a spree)- is to choose players that will consistently start for their side. This is especially true of forwards who are unlikely to be scoring many tries (although Healy is not a bad shout for a front row who crosses the line for Ireland fairly regularly).

Kickers will build up a strong tally over the course of the competition and (depending on how lenient the squad change rules are) you may be able to sneak in a couple of extra point by including 2 or 3 kickers in your squad and switching the designated kicker between match days.

Thanks Aedaphon.

Consistent starters (60 mins+ infact - 2 points as opposed to 1 point for 59 mins or less) is key as there are +3 points for win bonuses.
Who are obvious stand outs for France/Wales and maybe Ireland/England as consistent starters/full gamers?
This is why I have packed out my 15 (6 max from any nation) with 6 France and 4 Wales (fav and second fav for the comp so hopefully plenty of wins), still need to study the game schedule and how to use the (4) transfers per week (change of captain = 1 transfer).
Captains score double points. Clerc or Medard as captain v Italy? Clerc as he's the more likely to start? or Trin Duc?

A quick run down of points....

TRY........DROP GOAL..CON/PEN..MISSED CON/PEN
[TABLE="class: genericTable"]
[TR="class: extPrimaryRowCol"]
[TD]Forwards
[/TD]
[TD]+10 points
[/TD]
[TD]+10 points
[/TD]
[TD]+5 points
[/TD]
[TD]-5 points
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: extAlternativeRowCol"]
[TD]Scrum Half
[/TD]
[TD]+8 points
[/TD]
[TD]+6 points
[/TD]
[TD]+2 points
[/TD]
[TD]-2 points
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: extPrimaryRowCol"]
[TD]Fly Half
[/TD]
[TD]+6 points
[/TD]
[TD]+4 points
[/TD]
[TD]+2 points
[/TD]
[TD]-2 points
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: extAlternativeRowCol"]
[TD]Backs
[/TD]
[TD]+6 points
[/TD]
[TD]+6 points
[/TD]
[TD]+3 points
[/TD]
[TD]-3 points
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Plus win bonus of +3 and sent off -5 or sin bin -3.

One kicker allowed unless a fly/scrum double?

Last edited:
My team currently (very rough draft)

Clerc Medard Halfpenny Ashton Bowe
Trin-Duc Youngs
Faletau Harinordoquy Denton(cheap last pick)
Davies Pape
Healey Jenkins Mas

Any stupid picks there? Anyone that should definately be there that isn't?

Captain in the first round of games based on the points system?

If you can get Morgan Parra in for Ben Youngs it'd be worth it - Parra will be taking the shots at goal for France, and if they play to their potential vs Italy he may kick a fair few. (Parra of Yachvili anyway, depends which one starts - one of those two will be scrumhalf and kicker, as Trinh-Duc doesn't kick for goal too often).

If you've maxed out your French players then you could swap Pape for Richie Gray (if funds allow it).

Parra 9.5 Youngs 6.5
Gray and Pape 4.5
Would need to free up 3 somehow.
Why Gray? Scotland won't win many matches will they?
The backs and Flys don't have much difference in price from the best to the worst, would take a mass reshuffle to free up 3.

Thanks for the advice.

Do they not get rated on performance?
My mind is still on the Super XV one that I did last season where each player got rated for tackles/turnovers/metres run etc.etc.etc.etc.

No, as above with the point scoring system. Each fantasy game is different. That one you talk of sounds like the Metro Football game, a very rare way of scoring in football. Not played many Rugby games though.
I haven't looked on this forum completely to see if there is any interest in the Guiness game, is there? Or is this a purely Rugby fans orientated forum?

Bowe is a good choice consistent scorer as is Heaslip for a forward. I'd pick Sexton/ O'Gara or Priestland for out-half will score more points then Trinh-Duc

Right the new draft as picked based on my own thoughts/that of others on here plus things I've read on the Six Nations indivual squads topics

Clerc Medard Halfpenny Bowe Hogg
Sexton Parra
Faletau Heaslip Picamoles
Davies Pape
Healy Jenkins Ducalon

Hogg as someone said they'd have him starting for Scotland in the Scotland thread, a cheap potential try scoring back is better than a cheap Scotland Back/Second/Front row that will likely do nothing.
Picamoles/Ducalon to play v Italy? or even come on and pick up the win bonus?
Jenkins as someone had him in the Wales thread, will he play?

Who to captain? Likely Clerc/Medard/Parra v Italy?
Rugby has the bonus of advanced team news so time to tinker with the team the day before for non starters but as a base team, ok?

Jenkins is a pretty certain starter. Picamoles may play against Italy Harinodoquay has been poor while Picamoles has been pretty good, doubt Ducalon will though and I'd pick Parra as captain good safe bet and should get a good score.

Cheers ginger.

Parra (if starting) is definately the safe bet, 2 points per conversion (-2 if he misses) and is capable of the odd try against a back that may not even score a try (bit of a gamble which French back to choose). Will Yachviili replace Parra during the game though? thus redcing Parra point scoring potential for the game? That's my only worry.

Hard to tell with a new coach and all I'd say he would replace him at some point there is a chance Yachvilli will start have a feeling he won't though.

I've just picked my team and went with-
Halfpenny, Bowe, Bennvenuti, Fofana, Clerc, Priestland, Phillips; Jenkins, Ghridadini, Castrogiovanni, Davies, Gray, Morgan, Faletau, Parrise.

Fofana's an outside choice, but one I went with anyway, as he's cheap and in great form and shall hopefully play and score, especially with France having Italy first up. Ghiradini's ridiculously cheap (About 2) and will likely start all of Italy's games, so was a good money-saver in the front row.

Cheers Dunc. Nice tips on certain players there. More of that needed I feel.
Have you studied the schedule and planned how to use your 4 transfers between rounds? A plan is key if you want to win a fantasy comp of any nature. Just throwing together some players and crossing your fingers novice style will never win a comp outright. A little tip (for any serious players) you can pick up to 5 teams - going heavy on certain teams thus covering more win bonuses over the 5 teams should reap reward with at least one team ie. Team1 France/Wales Team2 France/Ireland Team3 France/England Team 4 Wales/Ireland Team 5 Wales/England.

Latest posts