• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

F1 Racing

Good to see he's recovering.

On another note though, is that the end of his F1 career? I don't think he has a seat next year and tendency now is to promote younger drivers. At 34, I don't think he'll race again.

Yeah no seat next year so that could be him. He faced a lot of ridicule but was a very competent and sometimes very quick driver, just too error prone for the top.

Stroll's crash was pretty scary too, the halo has already proven it's worth a few times over.

It's not going to be a popular thing to say given the consequences but Grojean has a history of dangerous driving and causing crashes. This one was also his own doing by again driving dangerous and swerving across the track. I wish him all the best and a speedy recovery but I think this has just highlighted what a danger he is.

It's not going to be a popular thing to say given the consequences but Grojean has a history of dangerous driving and causing crashes. This one was also his own doing by again driving dangerous and swerving across the track. I wish him all the best and a speedy recovery but I think this has just highlighted what a danger he is.
I think Kvyat said something about him being angry initially but it was a result of a puncture or something? I'm not sure tho I may be misremembering.

Your point still most definitely stands tho

His first two seasons were pretty desperate sure but since the introduction of penalty points in 2014 Vettel, Verstappen, Kyvat and Magnusson all have more points. Verstappen and Kyvat have raced a season less too. I think right now the closest driver to being genuine safety threat on the grid is Stroll*, but he had a strong season in that regard prior to yesterday.

Grosjean's more recent mistakes have been weird rather than dangerous, crashing behind the safety car and incidents like that and his lapses in concentration definitely stopped him ever getting a strong drive which he was quick enough for at times.

*11 points over three seasons v Grosjean's 21 in six

Grojean is just a weak driver which is why hes in Haas, he can have his day but really prone to mistakes. Considering he doesn't bring money its been a bit strange his career has lasted this long especially when better drivers like Hulkenberg have lost their drives.

Yesterday was shocking though I'm glad hes safe and F1 are already committed to a full investigation but a modern F1 car shouldn't catch fire like that.

Grojean is just a weak driver which is why hes in Haas, he can have his day but really prone to mistakes. Considering he doesn't bring money its been a bit strange his career has lasted this long especially when better drivers like Hulkenberg have lost their drives.

Yesterday was shocking though I'm glad hes safe and F1 are already committed to a full investigation but a modern F1 car shouldn't catch fire like that.
I know a modern F1 shouldn't catch fire and I'm sure they will take steps to improve it, but reality is that you can get a perfect set of circumstances that are unlikely to be repeated again. This is the first crash of it's type since the late 80's/early 90's. That's a pretty good safety record.

Cars are not meant to hit the barrier like that and tbh it was the way Grosjean went across Kyvat and then got clipped that caused him to hit the barrier at an angle he shouldn't have. Whether he had a puncture or was going for the gap is unclear, but it's not often you're going to get a car go across another at that angle. Sometimes, not matter how safe you make it, there is always still that tiny chance it can happen.

I know a modern F1 shouldn't catch fire and I'm sure they will take steps to improve it, but reality is that you can get a perfect set of circumstances that are unlikely to be repeated again. This is the first crash of it's type since the late 80's/early 90's. That's a pretty good safety record.

Cars are not meant to hit the barrier like that and tbh it was the way Grosjean went across Kyvat and then got clipped that caused him to hit the barrier at an angle he shouldn't have. Whether he had a puncture or was going for the gap is unclear, but it's not often you're going to get a car go across another at that angle. Sometimes, not matter how safe you make it, there is always still that tiny chance it can happen.
Yeah they were saying that they thing his wing may have hit the 1 inch gap between the two pieces of barrier because it was at a lower height as a result of the puncture.

Its such a tiny tiny chance of that happening that you cant really do a huge amount to avoid it

Big chance for George Russell to show he's quick in the next race or two with Hamilton out, my only worry for him would be taking a while to get used to a dominant car coming from his go kart. If he can beat Bottas, who's nothing more than solid, it'll be interesting to see where Merc goes. Presumably they'll keep giving Hamilton the armchair ride but it'd be interesting to see a young lad willing to fight him in the sister car.

If he's competitive then he'll almost certainly get a drive at some point in the future. However, if he struggles then it might make people think twice about moving him up. He can win big here with a good performance, but unlike say Albon who's had over a year to show his skills, Russell can have 1-2 bad performances and might not be given another chance.

I doubt he'd be judged to harshly if he doesn't even get a podium in a car he isn't used to after only 1 week with the team. If he finishes bottom half of the grid with no mitigating circumstances then maybe.

Good effort by Russell in qualifying. Can't ask for much more. A podium this weekend and he'll almost certainly have a drive somewhere else in the future.

well . . . I didn't know Mercedes was capable of that type of incompetence

It'd be such a coward's move for Red Bull not to give him the seat over Albon. At least pretend like you can fight with Mercedes.

C'mon Max! Beat the lad who's definitely going to get cranky whenever someone doesn't call him sir this year please.

Personally I hope Mazepin has a bad year. He's a combination of rich boy getting a drive because of daddy but has a **** poor attitude and is another Russian rocket. He's a danger to everyone else on the track.

Latest posts