Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spain

• Sweden

• Switzerland

• Total voters
******** Spain are out, lost 1-0 to Portugal. Greece lost 2-1 to Russia but their goal difference was 4-4, Spains was 2-2. Portugal top the group and play England, fair play to Portugal, incredible performance, that Carvalho is an awesome defender, played a great match, looked worrying for Portugal when Couto came on. Spain just couldn't get going although the 4 changes big Phil has made have been crucial and Portugal deserved to qualify and a huge boost ahead of Thursday's quarter final against England.

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC@Jun 20 2004, 09:38 PM
Portugal 1 - 0 Spain
Greece 1 - 2 Russia

Spain are OUT.
Spain were tipped by many to go all the way.

Spain bottle it again, why am I not surprised, always want them to make the breakthrough but it just doesn't seem to happen for them.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Jun 21 2004, 08:52 AM
Spain bottle it again, why am I not surprised, always want them to make the breakthrough but it just doesn't seem to happen for them.
One of my pre tournament predictions comes true - Spain to bottle it.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Jun 21 2004, 08:39 AM
Portugal deserved to qualify and a huge boost ahead of Thursday's quarter final against England.
A little presumptuous - we might not even make it, we may even yet top the group. Day of nerves tomorrow!
<

Croatia have had their big performace, tomorow's a formality for the English, even Owen and Scholes may score as well.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Jun 21 2004, 09:06 AM
Croatia have had their big performace, tomorow's a formality for the English, even Owen and Scholes may score as well.
I admire your confidence. The Croats are no pushovers at all - they'll cause us all sorts of problems with their pace up front. I'm hopeful we'll win but it's not going to be easy at all.

Just back after the weekend...........

Holland - Czech was one of the best games I've seen for ages. Hope Holland make the cut, and the Czechs look the form team of the tourney - they just need to get off to better starts or else they will eventually be punished.

Looking forward to a tight tussle tomorrow - can't believe that some of you are thinking an English win is just a formality - I actually think the Croatians are more likely to win..........

Just think England have the players who can do things that will win them the match, Rooney's been on form, Lampard is growing in confidence and there's always the chance of a Beckham freekick. Plus I don't think England will make the mistake of 4 years ago, obviously it's a better team with a better coach but they're stronger mentally. They proved against Nigeria in Japan that they can get the point when they need it.

To come in this tournament from England
-30 yard Frank Lampard screamer
-Beckham Free Kick
-Michael Owen goal
-Wayne Rooney suspension
-Paul Scholes to score (but ruled out coz of offside)

COME ON ENGLAND

1-0 tonight. John Terry header from a corner in the first half.

Originally posted by NZL fan@Jun 20 2004, 11:21 PM
can't believe that some of you are thinking an English win is just a formality - I actually think the Croatians are more likely to win..........
Told you so. Always thought it would be comfortable for England, having said that they still look a bit dodgy at the back, Croatia were awful and while I thought that Portugal would do nothing in the tournament they impressed me against Spain, particularly Andrade and Carvalho, whether they can contain Rooney is another question, on fire at the moment.

French had me worried there tonight but came good in the end, they'll certainly be happy to get the Greeks the way they've been playing, although the way they finished the match should give them the impetus to drive on.

England 4 - 2 Croatia
Switzerland 1 - 3 France

Good performance from England, but I'm not getting carried away. The defending was pretty dire, and don't get me started about the goalkeeping. Even when we were 1-0 down after five minutes, I knew we'd score at least twice and would therefore get through.

We really clicked in attack tonight. Everyone played very well, and although Rooney will get the headlines, Michael Owen was huge tonight. He played really well, showing awareness in building attacks. A goal is surely just round the corner.

Much work to be done defending, but bring on Portugal.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Jun 22 2004, 08:41 AM
French had me worried there tonight but came good in the end,
Are you that obssessed with England you couldn't stomach us finishing top of the group?????

Top Result.

Rooney, Gerrard, Campbell, Scholes and Neville all putting in top performances.

Cack goalkeeping. Need to keep possesion more and need Beckham and Owen to sort themselves out to beat the Portugese - but we can do it.

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC+Jun 21 2004, 09:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St_Helens_RLFC @ Jun 21 2004, 09:56 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-An Tarbh
@Jun 22 2004, 08:41 AM
French had me worried there tonight but came good in the end,
Are you that obssessed with England you couldn't stomach us finishing top of the group????? [/b]
Has it not dawned on you that maybe just maybe I'm supporting France in this tournament. So obviously I'd want France to have beaten England, and again I'd want France to beat Switzerland to top the group.

Originally posted by woodie@Jun 22 2004, 09:02 AM
and Owen to sort themselves out to beat the Portugese - but we can do it.
<

Owen was excellent tonight.

England had an excellent win alright with Rooney showing even more improvement since the Swiss game........

Only real concerns are the at the back for England, especially when defending dead ball situations - looking forward to a good game against the Portugese. Also am not so convinced on Scholes being in the starting lineup - though he was better in this game.

France are only on cruise control it sems at the moment, and will easily slip past the Greeks who have already exceeded even their own expectations.

Was happy to see the Russians get up the other day - I made a healthy profit on them at the local betting agency.............