• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs New Zealand - 19/11/22

Terrible discipline by both teams. Generally Terrible rugby by both teams.
Was a battle of this years two **** ups, in the end both ****** up equally.

All blacks continue to have by far the worst tier one defence, apart from in their line.

England could have won this easy by not kicking the ball. Yes their kicking was successful, but the all blacks defence is incredibly poor. It wasn't all down to the fact we had 14, we just have bad defence. And anyone who thins englands attack was great is wrong, it really wasn't that good. But it was good enough.

Glad I turned down a ticket for this
??????????? u wot m8

In hindsight, like lets just assume that whole "we took our foot off the gas" suggestions, that'll never happen again for the current members of this All Blacks team.

As others have said, Porter and Slade played well today. It'll never happen but I wouldn't mind seeing 12. Porter 13. Slade next week. Porter isn't a natural 12 but the balance of that looks good to me and both have performed better than Farrell or Tuilagi.

Given how easily we'd just fine coast to coast twice, I think we should have played for the W there. That said, it's a pressure situation and anything can happen, so I can accept the decision.

All blacks continue to have by far the worst tier one defence, apart from in their line.

England could have won this easy by not kicking the ball. Yes their kicking was successful, but the all blacks defence is incredibly poor. It wasn't all down to the fact we had 14, we just have bad defence. And anyone who thins englands attack was great is wrong, it really wasn't that good. But it was good enough.
Please point to me a single person who has even got close to suggesting out attack was great... Moments of brilliance but in general our attack was absolutely shocking.

??????????? u wot m8

In hindsight, like lets just assume that whole "we took our foot off the gas" suggestions, that'll never happen again for the current members of this All Blacks team.
My liver couldn't deal with a 3rd week in a row

Yeah... I just don't know where this puts either team. Are England good? Are New Zealand good? Are they both just mince meat for France, Ireland, and South Africa?

It is a rarity for the All Blacks to look good for 40-60minutes
Oh don't worry, the All Blacks didn't look good for 40-60 minutes. They didn't look good at all.

England were just absolutely dire for 70 minutes, and pretty good for 10

The Slade and Porter bench worked in the end.
Would be tempted to look at keeping it.

Get freeman starting
I wouldn't
Porter went well enough on the wing but...he's not a back 3 player. He was an improvement on Nowell but would be he be an improvement on May/Freeman?

That said: if EJ did put him there it's not the end of the world and tbh I'd have him in the 23 shirt over Nowell (and realistically that's the likely decision that's going to have to be made)

I reckon EJ goes for May/Big Joe and then Nowell on the bench, though - even that's probably wishful thinking though and Nowell will probably start

Honestly is Smith slightly in denial, talking about wasted opportunities considering how much time England spent camped on NZ line with 0 points it really is BS

Yeah... I just don't know where this puts either team. Are England good? Are New Zealand good? Are they both just mince meat for France, Ireland, and South Africa?
My opinion - this is a currently bang average England side but with great potential with a new coach who has fresh ideas.
This New Zealand side will like any all black side always be competitive and anyone saying they will be mincemeat for better sides hasnt watched enough rugby. This said, it's one of the weaker NZ outfits in my lifetime, whilst like England, having great potential.

What's he saying?
I switched off before the MOTM interview - I know it was gonna be cringe when it was a draw
Not much of note really; saying that he'd have backed his players going for it at end even if something had gone wrong and his team had lost, he'd be pleased for trying as it is an autumn international and it's about learning, experience and building for the World Cup, etc. Etc.

That kind of angle, fighting off the "England did the right thing and played well" rhetoric being pushed.

My opinion - this is a currently bang average England side but with great potential with a new coach who has fresh ideas.
This New Zealand side will like any all black side always be competitive and anyone saying they will be mincemeat for better sides hasnt watched enough rugby. This said, it's one of the weaker NZ outfits in my lifetime, whilst like England, having great potential.
Agree with all that.

Quote from Farrell: "We're a team that wants to go at other teams. We don't want to wait for mistakes. That's what we did today."

Does he mean they went at NZ or waited for NZ to make mistakes? If it's the latter then he's being honest, if it's the former then he's delusional.

For the stats fiends out there: Nowell had 1 pass, 0 runs, 0 metres
No other England player got 0 metres (inc. subs) - Tuilagi, who I thought did nothing, got 25m, May got 96
Pretty much in one break

Yeah, the thing is about that... NZ plays either South Africa or Ireland in the quarters... Those are teams that I'd favour for one off games vs the ABs, in a tournament, where NZ won't be the favourite. I do truly think we have quarter-final exit written all over this team, and its not for a lack of talent, because I don't think we lack talent, we lack structure and game plan.

Please point to me a single person who has even got close to suggesting out attack was great... Moments of brilliance but in general our attack was absolutely shocking.
Didn't read any posts before posting that. NZ Commentary and players interviewed after the game suggesting all blacks a weren't too bad for most of it and england were good at the end.

Latest posts