• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

The same Ben Teo that hasn't played this season.
The same Ben Teo that has played 21 games for worcester since arriving three seasons ago.

Aye let's pin all our hopes on him

Hopefully the squad for the AIs will be slightly different to this one. EJ always dangles the carrot with some good selections, but still picks some odd choices, and leaves out people inexplicably..

There's a good team in there somewhere, so not going to be too negative about it :D

Fans are confused and rightly. People point that Eddie did this when England won the GS and people questioned his tactics and selections. Then though England won and so fans said, 'We'd pick differently, but in Eddie we trust.' Now after finishing 5th and losing more than winning fans are still questioning but Eddie is no longer justified in his selections. It's extremely worrying that he seems to be picking in defiance for tactics that haven't worked.

Winning is all that matters really, but most England fans including many on this forum could see what was wrong with England when we were on and coming to the end of the winning streak. The problems were there before and he's going very slowly about changing that. I think that's why our patience with him is waning quickly.

However, saying all that, I wouldn't change him now, and despite some inexplicable selections we can still only select 23. And in the current (remember this is not the AI squad) we can still put out a very decent 23.

Still hoping there is a few changes between now and November :)

Yeah Simmonds is better imo

In an ideal world I would just bin Hughes right out of the EPS though,
A man can dream

Hughes had an injury Prone season and appeared to be rushed back in, he has been getting better each week interesting balance this week awfull start against Sale and grew into the game, single handedly scored off the back of a 5m scrum, something Sale were unable to do collectively with repeated attempts, he will clearly play second fiddle to Big Billy, however if you want a powerful 8 there are few better when he's in form, he really has added some quality defence, discipline could be better though...

Big. Powerful. 8.

Hughes is a good club level 8 but he's never shown anything near that at international level.

He has been ok for England to be fair the example u gave was off the back of a scrum going backwards, he was static, Faf is hardly the weakest of scrum halves is he, not to mention he had only just returned from injury and really at that point and really shouldn't have been playing for England especially against one of the historically most physical teams in the world, I stand by my statement earlier he had no problems dispatching of Sales defence yesterday in a single attempt, Sales entire pack couldn't return that favour in multiple scrum attempts. But then again I guess dominating a mediocre mid table premiership out fit from 5 meters doesn't transfer into international quality so I concede your point somewhat.

That's happened to him multiple times at international level - being physically dominated by people who have no right to be doing so.

Oh a serious note who goes in ahead of Hughes at 8 in Billy's absence if u expect them to provide ball carrying while your pack is going backwards?

Lol, so salty.

I'm not saying any of Sale's players should be in over him, just that he's never shown his premiership form at international level - do you think Alex Goode should be first choice 15?
He's been one of the best fullbacks in Europe for a number of seasons - his multiple average-at-best international showings should be completely ignored, correct?

Faf was literally the smallest man of the 46 players that day - there's no excuse for getting shoved back that far, and that hard, when your whole game is built around dominating the opposition through physicality.

Ben Moon called into the squad to replace Marler who's withdrawn for personal reasons. Didn't expect that...

Lol, so salty.

I'm not saying any of Sale's players should be in over him, just that he's never shown his premiership form at international level - do you think Alex Goode should be first choice 15?
He's been one of the best fullbacks in Europe for a number of seasons - his multiple average-at-best international showings should be completely ignored, correct?

Faf was literally the smallest man of the 46 players that day - there's no excuse for getting shoved back that far, and that hard, when your whole game is built around dominating the opposition through physicality.

TBF Alex Goode would've done a better job with that 8 pick up and gone than Hughes.

Lol, so salty.

Lol wasn't meant to come across salty mate, just a bit of banter. No Goode should not be near the squad not when we have the options we do already.

I was simply making a point that there is not really anyone that can replace Billy but Hughes is the closest thing we have to it, if u want to play a different style I am not saying he is better but if u insist on playing Billy's style without him. He would probably work well as a finisher too once players are a little tired and don't have the energy to get so in you face, all I am saying is I don't think he has done badly enough to be dropped completely especially when he shouldn't have been played having just returned from injury.

Outside of the Curry twins I cant see Sale players really contributing to the squad, not that some of them don't deserve it but just don't seem too in favour.

Ben Moon called into the squad to replace Marler who's withdrawn for personal reasons. Didn't expect that...
Personal reasons = Expecting to be banned for his forearm smash? :p

I like Moon - not exactly a world beater but a dependable prop. Could do worse for, what, our 5th? 6th? choice #1?
He's basically just there for tackle bag holding and live scrum training, realistically.

TBF Alex Goode would've done a better job with that 8 pick up and gone than Hughes.
Lol and with Goode at 10 Tigers might beat Worcester at home.

Before you say it Ford had a good game, just winding u up....

Personal reasons = Expecting to be banned for his forearm smash? :p

I like Moon - not exactly a world beater but a dependable prop. Could do worse for, what, our 5th? 6th? choice #1?
He's basically just there for tackle bag holding and live scrum training, realistically.

So true my bias here but would be interested to see if Brooke's can earn a place, he clearly didn't thrive so much under saints but may do better under Wasps.

Brookes is the 3rd best TH at wasps behind JCW and Stuart.
Brookes is the 3rd best TH at wasps behind JCW and Stuart.

I'm not convinced Di always plans for it to be that way, he's new to the squad think it will be a case of see how he develops, Di has a knack of seeing things in props, think he's in his late 20s so could get a call up if the next season or so goes well.

Latest posts