• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

Half back I'd go Mitchell and F Smith.

While I prefer Isiekwe at lock, a BR of him, T Willis and Earl wouldn't be too shabby. For the next couple of weeks Lawes, Ludlam and Pearson could do a job. Dombrandt, Evans and CCS would be competitive too.

Purely Saints bias -

Half backs - Mitchell, F Smith.
Back Row - Lawes, Pearson, Ludlam. (yeah not current i know)
Back Three - Furbank, Sleightholme, Freeman.

It wouldn't be the bad me thinks.

FR - Quins - Baxter, Riley, Collier
LK - Tigers - Martin, Chessum
BR - Bath - Hill, Underhill, Barbeary
SH - Saints - Mitchell, F.Smith
C - Exeter - Devoto, Slade
B3 - Sale - Reed, Roebuck, Carpenter

Something silly, but an England pick by clubs units only

Front row - Quins - Marler, Walker, Collier
Second row - tigers - Martin and Chessum
Back row - Bath - hill, underhill and Barbeary
Half back - Sale - Quirke/Warr and Ford
Centre - Sarries - Hartley and Lozoski
Back three - Saints - Freeman, sleight honk and Furbank

Beat my team only using English club units (can't repeat a team). So many great options to choose from.
Half backs Mitchell, FSmith or Care, MSmith
Centre Dingwall, Freeman vs Ojomoh, Larewence

Honestly id go with Ojomoh, Lawrence as i want Freeman on the win, liking the Freeman Furbank IFW(Sleightholm for this game)

On another note, I wonder if Quirke will ever get back to his pre injury form.

England don't have a barbarians type pre tour warm up right?

Anyway with 3 more prem rounds of the regular season leaning on a squad of
1. Genge, Marler, Baxter,
2. George, Langdon, Dan
3. Cole, Stuart Davison,
4. Itoje, Chessum
5. Martin, Coles, (If Martin isn't fit then **** me IDK)
6. CCS, T.Willis
7. Underhill, Pearson
8. Earl, Dombrandt
9. Mitchell, Porter/Randall/JVP (Any 2)
10. Ford, Smith, Smith
11. Freeman, Roebuck,
12. Lawrence, Dingwall
13. Slade, Beard
14. IFW, Slightholme/Murley,
15. Furbank, Steward

2. George, Langdon, Dan
3. Cole, Stuart Davison,
4. Itoje, Chessum
6. CCS, T.Willis
7. Underhill, Pearson
8. Earl, Dombrandt
10. Ford, Smith, Smith
11. Freeman, Roebuck,
12. Lawrence, Dingwall
13. Slade, Beard
15. Furbank, Steward
I'd be pretty happy with this.

Only quibbles are that I'm not big on Dingwall, and tbh Beard has looked off his best since the 6N. Potentially would be angling for a WEV inclusion to see if it would work in intl rugby, but that won't happen

I'd be pretty happy with this.

Only quibbles are that I'm not big on Dingwall, and tbh Beard has looked off his best since the 6N. Potentially would be angling for a WEV inclusion to see if it would work in intl rugby, but that won't happen

I'm just struggling to think of 12 and 13 that are fit TBH. Beard and Dingwall both involved in the 6N's squad so more cohesive.
Devoto would be interesting, or maybe just go with Ojomoh.

Is Joesph meant to be fit anytime soon?

Yeah, I don't like Dingwall - great for Saints but can't see him having that level of impact at international. Shame Hartley hasn't been getting much game time (or at least: many starts) at Sarries. Maybe Atkinson? Ojomoh?
Northmore > Beard, shame he's missed so much of the season - not sure who I'd replace Beard with though, I'm sure there are 13s playing well in the League I just can't think who

If Martin is out maybe Tuima? If we're being honest it'll be Ewels

Be interesting to see if Barbeary is in the mix - England, traditionally, love big power at 8 but Borthwick loves stats and Barbearys defensive stats are poor, from what I remember
maybe Earl has changed their minds on what an England 8 looks like, too

Pearson an odd one - is he injured or just not being selected at Saints? Didn't play in the 6N and got dropped in later selections - maybe he drops out, Barbeary comes in and Earl is looked at as first choice 8 and 2nd choice 7?

Yeah, I don't like Dingwall - great for Saints but can't see him having that level of impact at international. Shame Hartley hasn't been getting much game time (or at least: many starts) at Sarries. Maybe Atkinson? Ojomoh?
Northmore > Beard, shame he's missed so much of the season - not sure who I'd replace Beard with though, I'm sure there are 13s playing well in the League I just can't think who

Be interesting to see if Barbeary is in the mix - England, traditionally, love big power at 8 but Borthwick loves stats and Barbearys defensive stats are poor, from what I remember

Pearson an odd one - is he injured or just not being selected at Saints? Didn't play in the 6N and got dropped in later selections - maybe he drops out, Barbeary comes in and Earl is looked at as first choice 8 and 2nd choice 7?

Hartley is out for the season with a injury He was my choice as well tbh
Pearson is injuried also

Pearson picked up a groin injury and was out of contention for the second half of the 6 nations and then been injured for us following that.

2. George, Langdon, Dan
3. Cole, Stuart Davison,
4. Itoje, Chessum
6. CCS, T.Willis
7. Underhill, Pearson
8. Earl, Dombrandt
10. Ford, Smith, Smith
11. Freeman, Roebuck,
12. Lawrence, Dingwall
13. Slade, Beard
15. Furbank, Steward
Pretty much aligned on this with the following exceptions:

Tom Willis as a 6? I really rate him but I'm not sure about him as a flanker. Less his work rate, more mobility. While I definitely think Willis is a better player than Roots, Roots might be a better 6. Maybe Ted Hill's timed his return well?

If Pearson is out, I think it's a shoot out between Ben Curry or Pepper.

Funny how we're suddenly looking a little light on the flanks with Tom Curry and Pearson injured and Jack Willis and Ludlam ineligible.

Post 6N, Roebuck's been pretty quiet. I'd pick my wings from Freeman, IFW, Selightolme and Murley. Roebuck only makes it for me if we're looking at Freeman as a centre.

Beard will be lucky to make it. He's been poor for Quins recently. I'm actually surprised he's kept his place with Northmore fit again. All things considered, I'd rather take an extra winger with Freeman covering 13.

Pretty much aligned on this with the following exceptions:

Tom Willis as a 6? I really rate him but I'm not sure about him as a flanker. Less his work rate, more mobility. While I definitely think Willis is a better player than Roots, Roots might be a better 6. Maybe Ted Hill's timed his return well?

Funny how we're suddenly looking a little light on the flanks with Tom Curry and Pearson injured and Jack Willis and Ludlam ineligible.

Post 6N, Roebuck's been pretty quiet. I'd pick my wings from Freeman, IFW, Selightolme and Murley. Roebuck only makes it for me if we're looking at Freeman as a centre.

Beard will be lucky to make it. He's been poor for Quins recently. I'm actually surprised he's kept his place with Northmore fit again. All things considered, I'd rather take an extra winger with Freeman covering 13.
Is Willis less mobile than Chessum?

It's mad that Curry doesn't/didn't get game time considering how mental his stats are, for that reason I'd go with Pepper - think I said it earlier in this thread, but makes more sense to take the younger player for the experience if all they're gonna do is hold tackle pads

Post 6N, Roebuck's been pretty quiet.
He's scored 4 tries and had one of his career best games post 6N, what could he do more?

I'd probably pick Sleightholme ahead of him, tbh, but he's still right up there in contention - especially if we're still planning on kicking a lot but with Furbank at 15

Roebuck only makes it for me if we're looking at Freeman as a centre [...] I'd rather take an extra winger with Freeman covering 13.
Agree with this, though, and is what I'd do - would like to see Freeman get some time there for England this summer (maybe not as a starter, but if we have him as designated centre cover from the pitch it means you can have a Ford/Sleightholme bench partnership and it doesn't matter if neither play centre)

Do we have any other full back contenders other than FS and GF? Saw that Steward was getting some criticism from Tigers fans for his performance against Saints. England fans not convinced about Furbank. Anyone else really worth a look.

Hmm honestly Freeman would prob be my full back pick but don't think that is happening

11. IFW
14. Slightholme
15. Freeman

Would be what I would play v Japan

Do we have any other full back contenders other than FS and GF? Saw that Steward was getting some criticism from Tigers fans for his performance against Saints. England fans not convinced about Furbank. Anyone else really worth a look.
Carpenter, but he seems way down the pecking order seeing as he didn't even make the A Squad's training sessions - biased, obv, but other than massive top end speed I don't think he has a weakness.
There's Hodge but don't think he's ready - athleticism is there, but top two inches isn't, not consistently anyway

Shilcock has had a few superb games for Tigers recently

I can't see a new 15 being brought in any time soon though, think we'll go forward with Furbank as first choice this summer and Steward in reserve

Didn't Steward play on the wing v Saints?

Behind the top 2?
Hodge and DeGlanville need a little.more development, and may or may not actually reach international standard (but fine for 2-3 injuries down).
Max Mallins is still around if we're developing a game plan to suit a Furbank type at FB.

Shilcock's as ready as he'll ever be, again, a touch below international standard but...
At a similar level, is Tyrone Green EQP?

There's always Regan Grace, if only to give him a cap before Garland tries it on.

Last edited:

Latest posts