• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Eddie Jones replaces Dave Rennie as Wallabies coach

I agree with a lot of that but a couple of exceptions.

I enjoy people who stir the pot a bit in a clever or logical way way, but he veered too far too often towards the crass and distasteful for my taste.

This is a results business. Since 2020 he's not got them or performances. That's a long time in pro sport. Likely to go 3 out of 14. I said his ratio is likely improve but whether he can get anywhere near Bill, which seemed to be his one remaining ambition, is doubtful.

Knowing your time's done and when to leave the stage is one of the hardest things of all. Martin Johnson could have gone on, but he did it in style, at his own choosing, with Bill in his hands. Arsene Wenger, who radicalised football when he came in, left under pressure, looking like an old man behind the times unable to get a tune out of his team.

Everyone's a product of their time, everyone has peak career years, but they don't last forever. Never do, you get overtaken by the type of bright shiny thing you were 20 years ago. I feel Japan was Jones' last big moment but we'll have to see.

My counter to that I guess

I feel that the media drove Eddie to be more crass and distasteful. A lot of the bitterness generally was aimed towards journalism. Just need to look at the British media reaction to him currently to see how sour both sides got. Borthwick will IMO crumble if the Media ever turn on him because in reality

Martin Johnson is IMO a poor example, he couldn't have gone on really and his coaching career was over before it began.
Wenger will always be hard to judge in his final years for me, Arsenal didn't spend the money to compete with Chelsea, United and City. Still won the FA in 2017 and the last trophy Arsenal has won.

IDK with England Eddie
Has the largest unbroken win streak
Took us to the RWC final
Won our first grand slam in 13 years
and won the 2020 6N's

I agree that coaches have shelf lives, but I think it's more indivuals team ones rather than in general.
Not many coaches stay at their peak with one team more than 4 years not unless they have a initial advantage

Borthwick will IMO crumble if the Media ever turn on him

Totally agree with that, but dealing with the media is a big part of that job. Largely a honeymoon period at the moment but he will have to deal with some rough stuff at some point.

IDK with England Eddie
Has the largest unbroken win streak
Took us to the RWC final
Won our first grand slam in 13 years
and won the 2020 6N's

No-one's trying to take that away from him, he did very well which makes the subsequent performances and souring of relations all the sadder.

His relations with the media were a bit chicken and egg though - he also used them for his own purposes and when you do that they inevitably bite back at some point.

I agree that coaches have shelf lives, but I think it's more indivuals team ones rather than in general.

Definitely at a team level, but I think it's a bit of both.

He's well into his 60s now. That doesn't mean he can't succeed but as you get older, no matter how progressive you've been, you tend to fall back on what you know and what has previously worked. Since he took the England job, heck since Japan, society has changed at a frightening pace driven, as it always is, by the young - the generation that he is now trying to influence as a coach. Will he get them and they him? It only gets harder to connect as you get older.

Good old Eddie. If England had been winning or Australia were winning recently I'd say his tactic of bringing all the attention himself was fantastic, but it's just embarrassing when you're losing.

Bigger red flag though is another coach gone weeks before the world cup for 'family reasons'. There's a clear pattern with Jones, especially recently of coaches not sticking around and I'm glad he's gone. Just wish the RFU had put more effort into his replacement.

I wonder if we had the stats to see how many coaches have left under Eddie jones compared to other head coaches.

It's too many to be a coincidence, he must be a nightmare to work under.

Was just about to post it. Different country same noises.

"He's got the full support of the group."
"He is a fantastic coach with a massive rugby IQ. We're learning every day when we're working with him. It's one of those things, he simplifies the game of rugby for us."

"he simplifies the game of rugby for us."
Then why can't they get the basic right.

Sadly think post Japan and first part of the stint with England he has too much of an ego as a rugby genuins. Won't be questioned and needs time in the wilderness to regain his reputation and ability if it can be done at his age.

He spent almost 7 years post Australia as a #2 before he built it back up last time.

Was just about to post it. Different country same noises.

"He's got the full support of the group."
"He is a fantastic coach with a massive rugby IQ. We're learning every day when we're working with him. It's one of those things, he simplifies the game of rugby for us."
Same tactics, same baffling decisions, same failing on the field, same media front. If you didn't have the names and it was 2 games between 2 computer generated sides, you could have easily said that Aussie side was England under Jones too.

Jones saying that the booing isn't directed at him but at the delays in making decisions. You know you're at rock bottom when Dan Biggar comes out feeling sorry for you.

Still declining to say whether he intends remaining in post. Tells you all you need to know.

Still declining to say whether he intends remaining in post. Tells you all you need to know.
Still a chance he goes on to win the world cup. He has to wait to be kicked out no point in loosing the dressing room whilst they have to still be friends on the **** in France.

Still a chance he goes on to win the world cup. He has to wait to be kicked out no point in loosing the dressing room whilst they have to still be friends on the **** in France.

Well, the beeb report from the Portugal game headlined with "Australia keeping their world cup hopes alive" 😅

Look I think it's done isn't it. It's untenable. I said previously what's really the harm in seeing the direction of travel into next year, still early in the cycle, but that's all futile if the players have turned on him, which seems to be the case.

In which scenario - you can either shift him up to the top of the poo stick and let him be toxic at that level, but that's pointless really and I think EJ still fancies himself as a hands on coach so wouldn't go for it. If Japan still want him, that's best for all.

It has got me thinking about the idea of player engagement and wellbeing. Most industries are at least on the surface trying to update and move to a healthier model of staff - leader relationships. In some examples, sport can still feel like a bit prosaic where unhappy players and staff have little power until results start to tell their own story.

I love EJ basing the entire 33 man squad selection around Carter Gordon, the future of the team! Then binning him after 2 games and watching everything continue to unravel a there was no Plan B. About as idiotic a stunt by a coach as I have ever seen.

Sacking Rennie months out from the world is going to go down as one of the biggest blunders in rugby

His results were **** but he was building in the right direction and running very good sides very close while undergoing an injury crisis

Then old clown shoes EJ comes in and...well, the rest is history

Latest posts