• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Does RSA have any players from Lesotho, Swaziland, Zimbabwe, Botswana?

sigesige00

Bench Player
Does RSA have any players from Lesotho, Swaziland, Zimbabwe, Botswana, or any other countries?:huh:

Beast is originally from Zimbabwe. For the rest, i don't think so. All from South Africa.

Beast is originally from Zimbabwe. For the rest, i don't think so. All from South Africa.

Just had a look at you a correct it is just the Beast that was born from outside South Africa.

Not now but in the past they have. Three I can think of are

Corne Krige - Zambia
Tonderai Chavanga - Zimbabwe
Brian Mujati - Zimbabwe

One of the limitations is the South African government policy that only South African nationals are allowed to represent the country in international competition, so even if a player meets the WR residential criteria, they still cannot be selected as Spriongboks unless they hold South African citizenship.

There was some controversy in 2010 over Tendai Mtawarira's selection, but that has now obviously been resolved.

Lesotho, Swaziland and Botswana's major sport is soccer, and most of their player play soccer in South Africa, along with Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Zambia, Angola, Kenya, Tanzania and other central African countries.

I have never heard of any rugby players from Swaziland or Lesotho, even though these 2 countries are inside the South African Border. The regions where these 2 countries are situated are also where the majority of soccer players in SA come from. And due to the monarchy in the 2 countries, It's hard to see that they would approve of their country playing a sport which was once played by the "white people" during Apartheid.

There are a few rugby players from neighboring Namibia playing in SA provincial competitions and many of them are currently in the Namibian RWC squad. Namibia was part of SA not too long ago and there is a not insignificant Afrikaans speaking population (relative to the total population though which is tiny).

Yes only Beast was born outside of South Africa. In the past there were two Zimbabwe born Springbok Captains I can think of, Bob Skinstad and Gary Teichmann.

Last edited:
EDIT: Deleted - already mentioned in previous post

Percy Montgomery was Namibian, having said that he was born in Walvis Bay which was under South African sovereignty at the time so he's probably classed as both

Lesotho, Swaziland and Botswana's major sport is soccer, and most of their player play soccer in South Africa, along with Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Zambia, Angola, Kenya, Tanzania and other central African countries.

I have never heard of any rugby players from Swaziland or Lesotho, even though these 2 countries are inside the South African Border. The regions where these 2 countries are situated are also where the majority of soccer players in SA come from. And due to the monarchy in the 2 countries, It's hard to see that they would approve of their country playing a sport which was once played by the "white people" during Apartheid.

Is there any movement for unification with the RSA in Lesotho, Swaziland or Botswana? Botswana is a country of the Batswana/Tswana people, but the majority of Tswana people are in the RSA now. (The situation might resemble Mongolia--the majority of the Mongolians are Chinese nationals.)

Is there any movement for unification with the RSA in Lesotho, Swaziland or Botswana? Botswana is a country of the Batswana/Tswana people, but the majority of Tswana people are in the RSA now. (The situation might resemble Mongolia--the majority of the Mongolians are Chinese nationals.)

You don't know what you are talking about, and no, there is no sign of unification. Stop believing everything you read in Wikipedia!!

Split up into what?

I realise we're getting OT here, so feel free to move it elsewhere if my question doesn't fit in here.

Well, with a lot of civil unrest and racial diversity, the possibility could become that SA splits up like it was in the early 1900, Before Apartheid. At the moment we have 9 provinces, and based on the different cultures, we could revert back to Transvaal, Orange Free State, The Cape and Kwazulu-Natal... with the possibility of all the white people moving back down to the Cape which is currently very well run by the opposition party to the ANC.

But I highly doubt that this will happen... It's purely hypothetical

Last edited:
Back to the original post. Why do you think we had Lomu marry a SA girl?We need some NZ rugby players, might just as well do like the rest of the world? Sad thing is, I don't think they had children....sigh....

Split up into what?

I realise we're getting OT here, so feel free to move it elsewhere if my question doesn't fit in here.

I'm sure we can entertain one or two OT posts. If it comes to more I'll move posts.

While I don't think SA splitting up is likely I do feel it is more likely than other Southern African nations assimilating with SA. Splits could be manifold. The most obvious one would be the Western Cape splitting from the rest of SA. It is a province that has zero traditional black influence since European settlers setled here before the Nguni tribes moved far enough West. The indemic people (Khoi and San) are few and are mostly assimilated into Cape colored communities (mixed decendants of the Malay slaves brought to the Cape, indemic tribes and European settlers). This is by far the biggest demographic group in the region followed by whites. The black people in the Cape are mostly here on a temporary basis for work staying in temporary structures and see themselves as migrant workers rather than Cape based (generalising here of course but it'll be the case for ~80% of the black population). The Cape is also the only province where the ANC has been struggling to get a majority vote (even with alliances with other parties). There is a small movement for Cape independence called the Cape Party. The main focus of this party is not racial/political though but economic and the claim is that the Cape is funding other provinces and that Cape tax money should rather work here where there is also need. Culture is also very different to the rest of SA. The Northern and Western Cape have Afrikaans as the majority home language- distribution in green:

South_Africa_2011_Afrikaans_speakers_proportion_map.svg.png

Remember that SA was arbitrarily mashed togetehr by the British Empire and prior to that consisted of a number of independant states (of differing forms) very dissimilar from each other. The old Boer republics though contain the major urban sentra and urbanisation has made it very cosmopolitan. Beyond that though the 'old' identities remain very much intact and these are the lines that could split. Other than the Cape provinces KwaZULU Natal could split from the rest of SA. To some extent I think Jacob Zuma was elected head of the ANC to placate the Zulus who havn't always been very happy withn SA and see themselves as a people apart as well.

This article sums it up pretty well other than the fact that the author calls it in black and white and somehow manages to exclude the majority of the Cape population by calling it "whites only". Also, the most notable Cape secession movements aren't what one could call 'conservative white' at all. Anycase, here is a link summing up the situation and considerations rather well (allowing for some inaccuracies); http://www.enca.com/opinion/could-western-cape-secede

Last edited:
Thank you for your explanations!

Sorry for the late reply, our internet connection has been a huge mess for days now.

Could you tell me why Rugby League is not popular in RSA? And what sports are popular, aside from Rugby Union, Soccer, and Cricket? I read an article on the Baseball in RSA on Japan's Baseball magazine.

Latest posts