• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

CVC looking to buy shares in Pro14

Mixed feelings about this, on one hand they definitely don't have the best interests of the sport at heart and everything I've heard from F1 fans means I'm very wary. But at the same time money is money, and it's something the league could do with more of. If it means an improvement in terms of marketing etc then that's great because that side of things is very poor at the moment. I'm cautiously optimistic about this for the moment, but not confident that this is a good thing at all. The fact that it's only a minority stake is relatively reassuring though.

and everything I've heard from F1 fans means I'm very wary. .
What are F1 fans complaints? As an F1 fan myself they've definitely been no worse than Bernie and most issues with the sport are an issue with current set of construction rules which were agreed before their takeover (2014). Until the new rules come in 2021 it hard to tell what if they've improved the product or not.

What are F1 fans complaints? As an F1 fan myself they've definitely been no worse than Bernie and most issues with the sport are an issue with current set of construction rules which were agreed before their takeover (2014). Until the new rules come in 2021 it hard to tell what if they've improved the product or not.
Can't say I know anything about formula 1, all I'm going off is a friend who is adamant this is terrible and a decent amount of online comments whenever CVC is mentioned.

Like I say I don't know the first thing about formula one so I'll happily accept that you're far more qualified to make a judgement on this than I am.

If CVC were interested in money at the expense of killing off teams then they wouldn't be putting their cash into rugby - there is barely any cash in the sport at all.

The only thing they are interested in is money.

I'll say it slowly - they are a PRIVATE EQUITY FUND. Making money is their entire and only reason for being. If they proverbially pump and dump - they won't give 2 flying fúcks if the professional game implodes 6 months after they've sold their shares - they'll have made their returns for their clients and will be happily sunning it up on their yachts in the bahamas.

Are you fukking serious?

CVC employed Bernie straight after they bought him out - and instructed him to get blood from the stone. Which he did. Ruthlessly.

So why do you think BBC had to give up the rights?
Why are Hockenheim surrendering their race to bi-annual status?
Why is there the annual circus around whether Silverstone can afford to renew for another year?

CVC sold their share in F1 in 2017 but the damage has largely been done.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/sep/10/cvc-ownership-f1-warning-premiership-rugby-union

Why is there the annual circus around whether Silverstone can afford to renew for another year?
The debate about silverstone has been ongoing since I can remember its nothing new.

TBH I was getting CVC and Liberty Media (current owners) mixed up.

The debate about silverstone has been ongoing since I can remember its nothing new.

TBH I was getting CVC and Liberty Media (current owners) mixed up.

Aye yeah - the American with the weird beard had the wit to bring in Ross Brawn. (and Jean Todt being head of the FIA undoubtedly helps - and I mean that w.r.t Todt & Brawn having a great working relationship going back decades.)

Liberty appear to have at least some kind of eye on the long term future of the sport. The poison dwarf couldn't see beyond $$$$.

Having had some time to think about it and reflect.

CVC can still fúck off and do one.

This is not a good move for the long term health of the game.

You can expect CVC to now start to marginalise the areas of the game that do not "maximize" their profit. Zebre vs. Kings? Where is the money in that? No chance of those teams getting better. Ever. So why have them in the league when there is more money in New York or Boston? Like what good rugby players ever came from Port Elizabeth*?

*this is sarcasm BTW just for those on the special bus.

Italy and South Africa are large potential markets for CVC if anything they would want to add a couple of South African teams (just a guess)

With a reported £23M on offer for the SA teams, I am sure the current SR teams will be looking at this.
Surely the plan is to combine Pro league with Prem with 30-40 teams no relegation and between 16-20 league matches.

They'd have to invent a bunch of new teams for that cause there's zero chance you get every Prem side signing off on that

With a reported £23M on offer for the SA teams, I am sure the current SR teams will be looking at this.
Surely the plan is to combine Pro league with Prem with 30-40 teams no relegation and between 16-20 league matches.
Things that will never happen for $200.

I thought they wanted to prmote the sport, not bankrupt it?

Yes, South Africa is a potentially large market. And what probably makes it even more juicy for them with regard to money and profits, is that our currency is so bad against the european markets and the dollar, that they will get our teams/players cheaper than other competitors not participating in UK/EU.

Who is looking forward to the games played in the middle east and new teams backed by dodgy borderline dictators?

Yes, I loved watching Sale vs Wasps in Qatar.
Because that is absolutely something that has happened repeatedly since CVC invested.
And is absolutely something that will continue to happen forever more.

Because that is absolutely something that has happened repeatedly since CVC invested.

You forgot to mention that they had to take a water break every minute. The game kicked off at 14:30 and finished around 20:45. The temperature on the pitch was 52 degrees celsius, and the players were asked not to wear and rubber studs for the fear that it might melt.

Who is looking forward to the games played in the middle east and new teams backed by dodgy borderline dictators?

Well Saracens have played in the US fairly recently.

Its a banana republic that has a midwest (instead of middle east).

Nigel Wray is dodgy - no borderline about it.

That do?

Not sure its as bad as some people fear. F1 was sold by one man (correct me if I'm wrong) to make a big profit. The pro14 is union owned and they will be very wary of selling it off unless there's some terms and conditions.

CVC have expertise in areas the unions don't. They might bring in more money for the unions on top of the €120m or whatever the figure is. One side doesn't have to lose out.

Down with you and your facts.

CVC will take the Pro14 off terrestrial TV in the UK and Ireland in favour of some obscure pay TV station. Oh wait..............

Latest posts