• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Commonwealth Games

Originally posted by kaftka+Mar 23 2006, 03:15 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-The TRUTH!!
@Mar 22 2006, 10:27 PM
John Steffensen just won the 400m final ...... easily   :bravo:  :bravo:  :cheers:
Who cares? [/b]
Australia

Its big news over here...

just in front of the Kiwi athletes trying to **** on eachother

Kiwi cyclists try to **** on chick

Cyclists in sex assault claim
Ellen Whinnett
23mar06

TWO Games athletes have been accused of sexually assaulting a teammate after drunken celebrations at the athletes' village at Parkville.

A woman has complained that two New Zealand cyclists tried to strip off her clothes and urinate on her at the village on Sunday night.
NZ team officials vehemently denied the allegations, denying an incident had taken place.

"I wouldn't say it's an incident," said chef de mission Dave Currie.

But Victoria Police confirmed they were aware of the woman's allegations and had spoken to her about them.

"No formal complaint has been made to police," Sgt Dave Spencer, of Victoria Police's media unit, said.

"However we are aware of the incident and understand it is being handled by team management."

The young woman remains at the village.

She is being comforted by family and the NZ team psychologist.

The two cyclists have left the village and have not been interviewed by police.

No criminal charges will be laid if the young woman does not make a complaint.

It is understood she prefers the matter be dealt with in-house.

Mr Currie said: "There hasn't been an incident. She has not made a complaint."

When asked if there was anything in the complaint that would embarrass NZ, he said: "I don't think so, no."

Mr Currie said the cyclists had moved on from the village because of their competition schedule, as had cyclists from other teams including Australia and England.

A source said the incident allegedly happened after a drunken celebration at the conclusion of the cycling racing got out of hand.

It is not clear if the athletes were drinking at the village or another venue but it is thought the incident that led to the woman's claims happened in the NZ team residences in the village.

Alcohol is banned in the residential areas of the village -- a ban ignored by many teams and not enforced by officials, who turn a blind eye to it provided the drinking is low-key and quiet.

About 5100 people are in the $90-million purpose-built village at Parkville.

With their dormitory-style accommodation and close living quarters, athletes' villages often find themselves in the headlines regarding complaints of sexual assault, harassment and inappropriate behaviour.

In an unrelated incident last week, a masseuse with the Indian team was charged with indecent and unlawful assault after an incident in the Indian team residences on March 13.

Dewan Nabi, 35, has denied claims he tried to hug, kiss and fondle a 16-year-old cleaner at the village.

Mr Nabi is on bail and has left the village.

link

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Mar 21 2006, 09:12 PM
I just saw on the news that of the 3 girls that won the time trials medals....

Gold: is the current world #1 for this event,
Silver: was the former world #1 and former Olympic champ at this event ,
Bronze: is the current Olympic champ at this event....

So Ulmer would have been lucky to get a medal, she should have probably stayed on the track.

You still got the Netball :) and that big Maori ***** that does the shotput ...... thats atleast two certain golds.

As long as NZ beat the Saffas i'll be happy
Does Ulmer still hold the world record? the one she smashed by 6 seconds in Athens?

Originally posted by Ripper+Mar 23 2006, 06:27 PM-->
@Mar 21 2006, 09:12 PM
I just saw on the news that of the 3 girls that won the time trials medals....

Gold: is the current world #1 for this event,
Silver: was the former world #1 and former Olympic champ at this event ,
Bronze: is the current Olympic champ at this event....

So Ulmer would have been lucky to get a medal, she should have probably stayed on the track.

You still got the Netball  :)  and that big Maori ***** that does the shotput ...... thats atleast two certain golds.

As long as NZ beat the Saffas i'll be happy
Does Ulmer still hold the world record? the one she smashed by 6 seconds in Athens? [/b]
Yes. And she smashed it because of a simple gear change that others tried to imitate but their legs were too weak....

And top gun, that was the funniest thing I've read all day. Thanks.

And The TRUTH!!, that was the silliest "news" article I've read all day. Thanks.

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Mar 22 2006, 06:27 PM
John Steffensen just won the 400m final ...... easily  :bravo:  :bravo:  :cheers:
Congratulations... It took a former South African to bring home the gold... :p ;) B)

Originally posted by Groen_en_Goud+Mar 24 2006, 02:14 AM-->
@Mar 22 2006, 06:27 PM
John Steffensen just won the 400m final ...... easily   :bravo:  :bravo:  :cheers:
Congratulations... It took a former South African to bring home the gold... :p ;) B) [/b]
Sorry, born in Perth 1982 grew up in Noranda right near me ,use to race against my school and my two best mates in little athletics.

His parents emigrated to Australia in 1979........ but a nice try anyway :p

Kiwi athletes booze up at Games
24 March 2006 
By KERI WELHAM and MICHAEL DONALDSON in Melbourne

The drunken antics of three Kiwi cyclists at the Commonwealth Games have put the international spotlight on New Zealand's binge-drinking culture in sport.

Athletes' Village insiders claim drinking to excess has been rife during the country's poor performance at the Games.

The incident, initially claimed by a Melbourne newspaper to be a sexual assault involving stripping and urination, was actually a series of drunken decisions which went too far when a woman cyclist's new shoes got wet in a pond.

The New Zealand Press Association has named the two male cyclists as Tim Gudsell and Marc Ryan from the bronze medal-winning track pursuit team.

It is understood the woman involved is cycling sprinter Liz Williams, 25, who lives in Melbourne.

On Sunday night, after a dismal performance in the men's scratch race, a number of athletes went drinking in Melbourne and returned to the village around 5am.

Sources said the two men urinated against a fence before being moved on by a security guard.

They then decided to go swimming in a pond. They stripped down to their underwear and picked up the woman and threw her into the pond with them.

She screamed loudly and became irritated because she was wearing new shoes, which were ruined in the water.

The security guard took details and filed a report, which was forwarded to police.

Victorian police chief Christine Nixon said the woman had not wanted to lay a complaint.

However, the incident is one of a number involving boozy Kiwi athletes. And it follows a damning assessment of an All Blacks drinking culture by former captain Anton Oliver in his book last year.

A member of New Zealand's Games delegation said that, at a regular managers' meeting on Wednesday morning, a stern message had been given that unsavoury behaviour among athletes must end.

The source said other Kiwis had been running riot inside and outside the village.

New Zealand chef de mission Dave Currie refused yesterday to reveal what the men did to the woman. When asked if it was correct to assume from his comments that the men had not tried to strip her or urinate on her, Currie said that would be "correct to a point".

By coincidence, Williams was the victim of abuse in 2000 after which two male teammates stood down from a national training camp and were made to write apologies.

At the time there were suggestions that she was "made to suffer" as a result of the inquiry.

Currie said a statement read on the cyclist's behalf by team sports psychologist Gary Hermansson, in which she referred to the incident as a "non-event", was offered by the athlete and not produced at the request of team management.

Hermansson read: "She had no intention of making a complaint of any sort and the police became involved unnecessarily when informed of the incident by a witnessing security guard.

"In her view the incident was a non-event which should never have become an issue outside the team. The athlete does not wish the matter to be perpetuated by the media because it is closed and the other members of the team did not mean any harm or disrespect to her."

Currie said "there had been a fair amount of drinking". Another source close to the team said the three were probably so drunk they could hardly remember what happened.

The New Zealand Olympic Committee has forwarded an extensive report to Cycling New Zealand so that appropriate action, if any, can be taken by the national cycling body. No action was taken by the NZOC because the cyclists had already left the village.

Cycling New Zealand president Wayne Hudson said he would not take any action till at least next week.

Currie said he had reminded athletes still in the village of their responsibility not to bring shame on the silver fern. But he would not stop them going out to celebrate.

It is not the first time New Zealanders have been involved in inappropriate behaviour at a Games meeting. New Zealand disabled bowler John Davies was sent home from the Manchester Commonwealth Games in 2002 after being accused of inappropriately touching a games volunteer.

- Fairfax
[/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3613858a10,00.html

update article and link :)

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!+Mar 23 2006, 11:08 PM-->
Originally posted by Groen_en_Goud@Mar 24 2006, 02:14 AM

Congratulations... It took a former South African to bring home the gold... :p ;) B)
Sorry, born in Perth 1982 grew up in Noranda right near me ,use to race against my school and my two best mates in little athletics.

His parents emigrated to Australia in 1979........ but a nice try anyway :p[/b]
B) I know his story.... just hoping you wouldn't, and that you'd bite :D !!

Inappropriate behaviour? What inappropriate behaviour? They were just a bit ******. Nothing wrong with that. They played a joke on a fellow teammate. Nothing wrong with that. It's not as if they beat up their wives.

Originally posted by Groen_en_Goud+Mar 24 2006, 01:09 PM-->
Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Mar 23 2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Groen_en_Goud@Mar 24 2006, 02:14 AM

His parents emigrated to Australia in 1979........ but a nice try anyway :p
B) I know his story.... just hoping you wouldn't, and that you'd bite :D !! [/b]
As i said...... nice try anyway ........ +rep for the effort

Originally posted by kaftka@Mar 24 2006, 01:28 PM
Inappropriate behaviour? What inappropriate behaviour? They were just a bit ******. Nothing wrong with that. They played a joke on a fellow teammate. Nothing wrong with that. It's not as if they beat up their wives.
Funny story but a storm in a tea cup........ just a joke that went wrong.

Heres another funny CG story ...... Athletes go AWOL

Final Medals Table

G S B Total
Australia 84 69 68 221 (Australia>the Commonwealth)
England 36 40 34 110 (pwned by the Aussie once again :D )
Canada 26 29 31 86
India 22 17 11 50 (great games for them)
South Africa 12 13 13 38
Scotland 11 7 11 29 (great games for them)
Jamaica 10 4 8 22
Malaysia 7 12 10 29
New Zealand 6 12 13 31 (**** performance by there standards)
Kenya 6 5 7 18
Singapore 5 6 7 18 (great games for them)
Nigeria 4 6 7 17
Wales 3 5 11 19 (pathetic)

Gotta admit it's a bit of a joke when Australia gets more gold than the next 3 nations combined! WTF is wrong with the rest of the commonwealth?? Especially England! I mean FFS you lot have 3 TIMES our population!

Originally posted by sanzar@Mar 27 2006, 12:43 AM
Gotta admit it's a bit of a joke when Australia gets more gold than the next 3 nations combined! WTF is wrong with the rest of the commonwealth?? Especially England! I mean FFS you lot have 3 TIMES our population!
MORE gold? Damn you Aussies are cocky... It's the same amount of gold. Jeez...

Latest posts