Charles Piatau to Ulster

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
All Blacks utility Charles Piutau has dropped a major bombshell by signing a two-year deal with Irish club Ulster that's thought to be worth close to $1 million a season.

Piutau's sudden post-World Cup departure comes as a shock to all involved.
It was thought he was poised to re-sign, alongside team-mate Steven Luatua, with New Zealand Rugby and the Blues within the next two weeks.
Clearly, though, the chance to bank $2 million in a favourable tax system and set himself up for life was too good to turn down.
The 23-year-old is following the modern trend of players - the likes of Rene Ranger, Frank Halai, Luke Braid, Andre Taylor, Tom Taylor, Tyler Bleyendaal and Bundee Aki - jumping at the mindboggling money at a much younger age than previous generations.
In this case, Piutau will back himself to return for another crack at the All Blacks, but like any player leaving he risks the production line overtaking him in that time.
It also highlights the unprecedented offshore demand for New Zealand's premier rugby talent.
Not just in France, either.
Competing with European salaries is becoming increasingly difficult.
Piutau has chosen a particularly memorable time to leave home.
He will forgo the potential of competing in sevens at next year's Olympic Games, and the prestigious British and Irish Lions tour to New Zealand in 2017.
At present he probably sits behind Julian Savea and Ben Smith in the outside backs rankings but he was expected to be included in the World Cup squad.
On last year's end of season tour he impressed by starting three of four tests and, by the Lions tour, could have cemented his spot as a first-choice All Black.
Having worked tirelessly since debuting for the national team in 2013 and going on to play 14 tests, it seems a shame to lose such a dynamic young talent, even if only temporarily.
It is understood Piutau's contract with Ulster starts in 2016 and the Blues still hope he will be available for next year's Super Rugby campaign.
That will, however, require agreement from NZ Rugby, as he will not be available for All Blacks selection.
This scenario is likely to take some time to work through.
Piutau's ability to comfortably slot in at centre, wing and fullback increased his value and he will be made Ulster's marquee player.
The pressure of the Blues environment - after losing six straight games to start the year and assuming a leadership role in an inexperienced, struggling backline - may have also influenced his decision

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-join-irish-club-ulster-after-rugby-world-cup

This is one of those signings that genuinely annoys me. At 23 year old opting for more money after a Rugby World Cup - to likely return to New Zealand in time for the next RWC - is just too mercenary for my liking and a miserable precedent to set if he's welcomed back (which I suppose has been set with SBW...). If I was Hansen I wouldn't include him in any of this years internationals. There are alternatives which are in my opinion as good if not better capable of covering wing and fullback. Nehe Milner-Skudder, James Lowe - maybe even Damien MacKenzie who surprisingly hasn't missed a single tackle in Super Rugby yet. I'd take Gear over him too. Frankly I'd pick players I don't rate as international caliber players such as James Marshall.

Last edited:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-join-irish-club-ulster-after-rugby-world-cup

This is one of those signings that genuinely annoys me. At 23 year old opting for more money after a Rugby World Cup - to likely return to New Zealand in time for the next RWC - is just too mercenary for my liking and a miserable precedent to set. If I was Hansen I wouldn't include him in any of this years internationals. There are alternatives which are in my opinion as good if not better capable of covering wing and fullback. Nehe Milner-Skudder, James Lowe - maybe even Damien MacKenzie who surprisingly hasn't missed a single tackle in Super Rugby yet. I'd take Gear over him too. Frankly I'd pick players I don't rate as international caliber players such as James Marshall.

Yep, pretty much mirrors my sentiments.

I've seen it pointed out on an Irish site that this article has no quotes and was released two hours before midnight on the 31st of March....

I've seen it pointed out on an Irish site that this article has no quotes and was released two hours before midnight on the 31st of March....

And has comments disabled...

I think stuff may have just killed me... It would also be strange Ulster having that kind of cash to throw around.

Damn it BG8. On the bright side if its false then The NZ Herald and Belfast Telegraph also seems to be buying into it.

Last edited:
And has comments disabled...

I think stuff may have just killed me... It would also be strange Ulster having that kind of cash to throw around.

Damn it BG8. On the bright side if its false then The NZ Herald and Belfast Telegraph also seems to be buying into it.

Well, their recent(ish) purchases incude BJ Botha, Ruan Pienaar, John Afoa, etc. They've usually been pretty good at bringing in private investors and they don't have nearly the wage bill Leinster would have. It seems plausible to me.

If it is a AF it's a pretty rubbish one, not even a give away sentence in there, and could cause a lot of grief

Rory McIlroy has taken over from tiger woods as the face /name of EA Sports golf games, so he'll have some spare cash!

That would be pretty sucky if it were in fact true. I like Piatau, he does his job well at the Blues, and every time he puts the black shirt on everyone always says "the more I watch that kid, the more I like him." He's pretty young though. 23? Not sure if I could blame him too much for wanting to earn some big bucks. Perhaps he could have been more strategic and stayed settled in New Zealand making decent money, and towards the end of his career made the jump. I dunno, that's his choice. But I agree with the sentiment that it's annoying.

We'll never be able to compete with northern hemisphere club owners. If you're only in it for the money you might as well leave right now, because we can never compete with that. What the NZRU could do is shift a little at the negotiating table. But if you want millions upon millions then no, that ain't happening. It's a country of 4 million, not a bank.

I certainly do hope this is an AF joke.
It would be highly dissapointing. This bloke is the goods, has potential to be a great one day.
In a world cup year i would keep picking him over the likes of milner skuddler or Lowe. These blokes are having one solid SR season whilst piutau has played 17 odd tests all at a pretty high calibre.
Hanson would see this way I think.

Jeez setting yourself up for life at 23 would be pretty hard to resist. Even the prestige of the black jersey would be put to the test.

Except for King Richie...

It would also be strange Ulster having that kind of cash to throw around.

Not at all. There has been a lot of talk from Ulster's administrative management over how successful they've been over the past five years and how big a boost turning Ravenhill from 10k to 18k at very low outlay has been for Ulster's finances.

Ulster fans have been asking "When will we see this money spent" and if this is true, the answer has been given. Even if this isn't true, I am expecting Ulster to be throwing this much money at someone.

edit: Irish Times say Ulster have confirmed it.

I would expect Ulster to keep spending when it comes to signings for the summer of 2016, although obviously it might be a while before the other one is announced - nothing inside, merely logic.

Last edited:
Not at all. There has been a lot of talk from Ulster's administrative management over how successful they've been over the past five years and how big a boost turning Ravenhill from 10k to 18k at very low outlay has been for Ulster's finances.

Ulster fans have been asking "When will we see this money spent" and if this is true, the answer has been given. Even if this isn't true, I am expecting Ulster to be throwing this much money at someone.

edit: Irish Times say Ulster have confirmed it.

I would expect Ulster to keep spending when it comes to signings for the summer of 2016, although obviously it might be a while before the other one is announced - nothing inside, merely logic.

They might be also getting a boost from the IRFU. The stadium debt has been paid off so I would expect an increase of funding to the provinces.

This is one of those signings that genuinely annoys me. At 23 year old opting for more money after a Rugby World Cup - to likely return to New Zealand in time for the next RWC - is just too mercenary for my liking and a miserable precedent to set if he's welcomed back (which I suppose has been set with SBW...). If I was Hansen I wouldn't include him in any of this years internationals. There are alternatives which are in my opinion as good if not better capable of covering wing and fullback. Nehe Milner-Skudder, James Lowe - maybe even Damien MacKenzie who surprisingly hasn't missed a single tackle in Super Rugby yet. I'd take Gear over him too. Frankly I'd pick players I don't rate as international caliber players such as James Marshall.

Well, I guess I look at it a little differently - for me it's their career, and they should be free to pursue it overseas if they want to (as long as they don't expect to be picked for the AB's while they are gone)

If Piutau wants to run the risk of never playing for the AB's again, that's his choice. If he wants to return in time for selection for 2019 RWC, and compete for selection, all power to him ... Hosea Gear, who's just returned from doing exactly the same thing you are critising Piutau for (but is ok to be selected in your book), is trying to do exactly that, but probably won't make it, as he can't even get a starting spot for the Chiefs.

Jerome Kaino has had a stint away overseas, and was good enough to take back the All black 6 Jersey, nobody seems to worry about that too much. Luke McAlister was rushed back from overseas and into the All Blacks when they thought they needed him (precedes SBW I believe, so I'm not sure what precedent SBW set). Carl Hayman and Nick Evans were both pursued when it looked like the All Blacks lacked depth in the 10 and 3 jerseys, they both said no, but it seemed that nobody would have been upset if they'd returned at the time.

As you've rightly said, there are plenty of up and coming outside backs, although even the player that you don't rate, but would still pick (James Marshall), has had a stint overseas.

In summary, the ABs should pick the best squad from all of the available 2015 players for the RWC. If you don't pick Piutau (assuming his form is good enough), you also shouldn't pick Carter, McCaw, B.Franks, Mealamu, Nonu, C.Smith, or any other player who is unavailable in 2016 ... which is of course, ridiculous ... we'd be figuratively shooting ourselves in the foot.

Last edited:
In fairness it's hard to turn down. It'll be effectively October 2015 - May 2017 so 20months for 1.5million.
Hard to say no. He will also become the highest paid player ever in Irish provinces by a long way

In fairness it's hard to turn down. It'll be effectively October 2015 - May 2017 so 20months for 1.5million.
Hard to say no. He will also become the highest paid player ever in Irish provinces by a long way

Exactly, it's not a bad career move for him, he'll only be 25 when the contract finishes, and it's not like he'll be permanently lost to NZ Rugby (like Jared Payne) ... players have been going overseas and returning to NZ since the shamatuer days (Robin and Zinzan Brooke, John Kirwan, and Craig Green, to name a few)

Blues are truly falling apart at the seams.

Like most, i just hate the mercenary, lack of loyalty feeling about this move. Don't get me wrong, nothing against Charlie, he has been huge for the Blues, and I know this is the way in the modern game. But my favourite players growing up as a kid were always the loyal ones. You WANTED them to succeed.

At the end of the day, Blues fans (or Super Rugby fans in general) lose out much more than AB fans.

Blues are truly falling apart at the seams.

Like most, i just hate the mercenary, lack of loyalty feeling about this move. Don't get me wrong, nothing against Charlie, he has been huge for the Blues, and I know this is the way in the modern game. But my favourite players growing up as a kid were always the loyal ones. You WANTED them to succeed.

At the end of the day, Blues fans (or Super Rugby fans in general) lose out much more than AB fans.

Yeah, i don't really get the "mercenary" thing, so I guess i'm in the minority huh? ... If you look at the Blues, your Captain (Kaino) is a returned mercenary, as are Bowden, and Cowan. It's the way that it is, and it's a two way street.

Yeah, i don't really get the "mercenary" thing, so I guess i'm in the minority huh? ... If you look at the Blues, your Captain (Kaino) is a returned mercenary, as are Bowden, and Cowan. It's the way that it is, and it's a two way street.

Kaino is different, he gave how many years to the Blues first time round, 7-8? I think most people thought he was gone for good into semi retirement.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he comes back to the Blues in the future, as a club fan I'd just like to see loyalty from players, but then I'm biased. To be fair, what have the Blues done recently to make him want to stay ...

I agree. Condemning a player for making a good career move to earn more money in a profession where you can suffer a career ending injury on the pitch at any time is silly. Loyalty is important, and the desire to play for a national team should be a goal for every player, but at the same time it can't stand in the way of doing what's best for a guy who could find himself suddenly unemployed at a young age having devoted so much time and effort to the game. From his point of view he can return to NZ at a young age having earned his money and then devote himself to fulfilling his ambitions.
I'm a lot less fond of the guys throwing the money into the game, but that's another discussion. Hate the game not the player as they say.

Too me I find all this 'loyalty' thing people talk about as a load of crap. If the Blues didn't want him then they would throw him away without a moments thought, same with any pro sports athlete with any team. What they do is a job in one of the most competitive markets in the world, they can only make money for as long as their career and that can be cut short at any moment. I would genuinely love it if every team was made from 15 guys who all came from the area and stayed there for 10 years plus but we know that wont happen.

Latest posts