• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Champions Cup 2018] Final - Leinster v Racing 92

Maybe you could take Andy Farrel and Lancaster to the 2023 world cup? In that case, you're lucky France got it cause going out of the group in your own world cup is embarassing!!
To be fair Sexton nailed it yesterday saying Lancaster lost job on 1 result vs Wales that was 50/50. If it was him and Farrell leading Ireland I'll be very happy. Have rated him highly for years as I've documented here. And I've seen Farrell work here in Munster and he's a superb coach. I think it might be also a case of players in 2015 got off despite not being angels themselves. But Lancaster is also more suited to IRFU system where there is no club v country nonsense and very good communication

It might be a better game to watch but it won't be better quality. Ringrose, Sexton, Leavy, Ryan and Furlong are all better than anyone who plays in their position in the top 14. Kearney, Henshaw, Fardy and Healy would all be top three on top of that, there's not team in France as good as Leinster as yesterday coupled with the two Montpellier results, which were played without Sexton and one without Kearney and Carbery each, show!

Good game yesterday but no tries. Leinster didnt look like scoring a try. Didn't see the Leinster backs. I've never seen playoffs here with no try scoring. So it won't be hard to go one notch above in quality.

Yesterday was a real tactical battle, Racing's blitz killed Leinster's attack which left every other side in their wake since, both sides played were hugely physical and required smart half back play to capitalise, Sexton was marginally more effective than Iribaren which was what put us in the position to force the mistake out of Thomas which was the winning and losing of the game!

Yesterday Racing showed how to play Leinster with more than a winning chance. They owned Leinster in the collisions and rucks. Racing could have won that game at full strength. Tales is 3rd choice at 10 and slowed the game for his backs.

Good game yesterday but no tries. Leinster didnt look like scoring a try. Didn't see the Leinster backs. I've never seen playoffs here with no try scoring. So it won't be hard to go one notch above in quality.
Quality would mean better rugby teams are playing, France doesn't have better rugby teams than Leinster. It might be a better game to watch but not better quality rugby.
Yesterday Racing showed how to play Leinster with more than a winning chance. They owned Leinster in the collisions and rucks. Racing could have won that game at full strength. Tales is 3rd choice at 10 and slowed the game for his backs.
Leinster beat Montpellier with their third choice 10. Twice. Being down O'Brien, Van der Flier with a semi fit Ruddock and McGrath hampered Leinster yesterday too, injuries are no excuse.

Quality would mean better rugby teams are playing, France doesn't have better rugby teams than Leinster. It might be a better game to watch but not better quality rugby.
but it's not a team by team comparison. You're missing the point. We may not have Leinster in the league but we may still produce better games on the day with tries.
The game was good but it lacked tries. The playoffs will go one better by scoring tries even in tight games. Scoring tries does raise the quality.

Last edited:
Leinster beat Montpellier with their third choice 10. Twice. Being down O'Brien, Van der Flier with a semi fit Ruddock and McGrath hampered Leinster yesterday too, injuries are no excuse.
I'm not making excuses for Racing. But what team loses in a final 2 players like Carter and Lambie same pos same day?! Racing were under strengthed with Machenaud also out. And they are the playmakers. OBrien and Co are not. And your backs still couldn't fire.

but it's not a team by team comparison. You're missing the point. The game was good but it lacked tries. The playoffs will go one better by scoring tries even in tight games. Scoring tries does raise the quality.
We disagree here, no point continuing, I don't think tries make a game better in terms of quality.
I'm not making excuses for Racing. But what team loses in a final 2 players like Carter and Lambie same pos same day?! Racing were under strengthed with Machenaud also out. And they are the playmakers. OBrien and Co are not. Your backs still couldn't fire.
And 'being owned', as you said, in the breakdown doesn't effect playmakers? One of whom, McGrath, was playing injured... Being arguably the best backrow in the world, and two further internationals, is obviously going to effect the backs.

We disagree here, no point continuing, I don't think tries make a game better in terms of quality.

And 'being owned', as you said, in the breakdown doesn't effect playmakers? One of whom, McGrath, was playing injured... Being arguably the best backrow in the world, and two further internationals, is obviously going to effect the backs.
Agree to disagree. Saying that you won't find many that agree with no tries=quality. Ask around and the majority would want tries any given day and equate tries with quality.

And saying the Top 14 can't match or go one better than the CCup because there's no Leinster equivalent is rubbish. The playoffs here have matched and bettered Europe before on many occasions. The edge Racing brought all the way to the final that Munster couldn't live with (twice) and Leinster struggled against comes from playing in this league precisely. They didn't pick it off the floor in Spain.

I doubt Racing of yesterday will win the league with Tales at 10 and their 3 playmakers out. Iribaren is excellent but he needs a 10 that can distribute. Tales doesnt do that. He kicked the ball yesterday when he had options outside with the 2 best backs around in Vakatawa and Thomas. His decision's making was not up to the standard of the final.

If the same Racing goes out in their semi then it's fair to say our playoffs are a notch above the CCup. It wouldn't be the first time.

It was an awful game of rugby. Thought Racing 92 were slightly better on the day but Leinster were the best team over the course of the tournament.

Leinster will need to play a lot better next weekend to beat Munster. Have to say I'm really looking forward to Munster forming a guard of honour as Leinst4r enter the pitch!

It was an awful game of rugby. Thought Racing 92 were slightly better on the day but Leinster were the best team over the course of the tournament.

Leinster will need to play a lot better next weekend to beat Munster. Have to say I'm really looking forward to Munster forming a guard of honour as Leinst4r enter the pitch!
Guard of honour??????
First I've heard. And if history is a link there was no guard of honour in 2011.

Yes Leinster are deserving winners of Europe and we congratulate ye. But Saturday is a new competition and what happened last Saturday will be in past come this weekend.
In fact I kind of feel for the Leinster lads in a way. Even if they do the double. It straight on tour the following Monday with Ireland and then it kind of on to next season.

but it's not a team by team comparison. You're missing the point. We may not have Leinster in the league but we may still produce better games on the day with tries.
The game was good but it lacked tries. The playoffs will go one better by scoring tries even in tight games. Scoring tries does raise the quality.
Agree to disagree. Saying that you won't find many that agree with no tries=quality. Ask around and the majority would want tries any given day and equate tries with quality.

And saying the Top 14 can't match or go one better than the CCup because there's no Leinster equivalent is rubbish. The playoffs here have matched and bettered Europe before on many occasions. The edge Racing brought all the way to the final that Munster couldn't live with (twice) and Leinster struggled against comes from playing in this league precisely. They didn't pick it off the floor in Spain.

I doubt Racing of yesterday will win the league with Tales at 10 and their 3 playmakers out. Iribaren is excellent but he needs a 10 that can distribute. Tales doesnt do that. He kicked the ball yesterday when he had options outside with the 2 best backs around in Vakatawa and Thomas. His decision's making was not up to the standard of the final.

If the same Racing goes out in their semi then it's fair to say our playoffs are a notch above the CCup. It wouldn't be the first time.

I don't know any rugby fan that would directly correlate the quality of a game with tries, it certainly adds to the entertainement factor no disputes there, but you can't simply say no tries= lesser quality, entertaining doesn't neccaserly mean winning, I am a massive Wasps fan and I doubt many would disagree when I say they have probably played the most entertaining rugby in the prem the last couple of seasons, however they have no silverware to show for it....

Well done Leinster. Only caught last 20 mins and glad I didn't try and make time for the first 60. Wasn't great watching - but they won't give a crap. I'd gladly take any silverware with us playing like muck in the final.

--------------------

On argument above. I was very entertained watching Ulster vs. Ospreys a few weeks back. A game that was 3-0 until the 79th minute. Read into that what you will.

--------------------

Surely Leo isn't the first man to win, then coach a team to the European cup.

In fact, to my knowledge, he's not even the first Irish coach to do the same.

Mark McCall won in 1999 and obviously won with Wray's spiteful bunch.

Well done Leinster. Only caught last 20 mins and glad I didn't try and make time for the first 60. Wasn't great watching - but they won't give a crap. I'd gladly take any silverware with us playing like muck in the final.

--------------------

On argument above. I was very entertained watching Ulster vs. Ospreys a few weeks back. A game that was 3-0 until the 79th minute. Read into that what you will.

--------------------

I think McCall was injured though.

Isa says its not about the 4th star, even the 5th but getting 10! La Decima 2024, maybe we'll get our guard of honour then if Munster fail to recognise next week!

Two wrongs don't make a right. It's the right thing to do. Show respect at the home of the 4 time champs ;)
If it was Europe maybe but it's a new competition. As I said well deserved but yeah can't see it happening.
And 2 wrongs would mean cancelling it all 1 way here we didn't do it then and can't see it now. And wouldn't expect Leinster do it to us if shoe was on other foot.
Serious work to be done Saturday for us but hope fully we have a shot

Isa says its not about the 4th star, even the 5th but getting 10! La Decima 2024, maybe we'll get our guard of honour then if Munster fail to recognise next week!
The true drive for Leinster is a double. This team will be remember as a "1 of" winners at moment. They want double to stand out. Sexton was same with 6Nations. He said winning on points and all was great but a Slam makes you stand out and that meant alot more personally than just a championship

--------------------

--------------------

I think they meant as in with same team regarding Leo question.

I don't watch the pro 14 but just chiming in on the cc, do Munster have a realistic chance? Based on what I have seen in the cc they don't this is a serious question not trying to troll.

Latest posts