• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Celtic League Thread 05/06

shane williams is the squad for the connacht game tonight and should play some part, as is adrian cashmore.

jesus cavan what's the story with the minging new crest at UCD, much prefer the old one.

And getting back on topic, good to see O'Kelly making a comeback to the Leinster squad for the game against Cardiff, don't know if there's enough time for him to regain full fitness ahead of the Autumn games.

super shane will carve up connacht

theres a saying in wales

"when shanes on fire, the ospreys soar"

Edinburgh struggled to beat a very average Dragons side last night. Poor hands from Edinburgh in key moments (2 or 3 passes that would have made the try were dropped). Missed tackles aswell but the worst part of the evening for Edinburgh had to have been the ref. Hardly any decisions went our way...so many times the dragons held the ball on the deck, used there hands, knocked on and the ref didn't pick up on the vast majority. He pinged Edinburgh for...well f*** knows why some times. Not an overly impressive performance. We're really going to have to up it if we're going to beat London Waps a week tomorrow. Can't wait for that game though...great crowd expected.

i cant see edinburgh beating london wasps, but you never know, if they have a good crowd there it could spur them on, i hope they win.

Well our squad's good enough to win at Murrayfield. I don't believe in crowds making a difference though....I know your obsessed with you 'Millenium Stadium Factor' but in my opinion when it comes down to it, it' s 15 on 15 on a Rugby pitch. Certainly doesn't affect me when I play, most players are so concentrated on the game they don't take notice.

yeah but mate theres a big diff between playing in front of 30 parents at a park than 75,000 at the national stadium, saying that a crowd doesnt lift or even intimidate players is silly.

Originally posted by loratadine@Oct 16 2005, 01:05 AM
i cant see edinburgh beating london wasps, but you never know, if they have a good crowd there it could spur them on, i hope they win.
But you could see the Blues win AWAY at them...

Good omen for the Gunners?

tarbh i hate it too, it's a shambles. We all go to University College Dublin Dublin now don't ya know!!

Originally posted by loratadine@Oct 15 2005, 05:18 PM
yeah but mate theres a big diff between playing in front of 30 parents at a park than 75,000 at the national stadium, saying that a crowd doesnt lift or even intimidate players is silly.
Good players block out everything and so they only concentrate on the game. You can be intimidated by the opposition but as i've said, when it comes down to it your just playing on a rugby pitch. England won the World Cup infront of Australias fans, are New Zealand a good team cause of their crowd or cause of their abillity and skill? Scotland normally play in front of 50,000 plus (thats the mininum when we play a diddy team...like wales
<
) but we're playing like a bunch of tools just now!

Originally posted by harrison2468+Oct 15 2005, 07:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (harrison2468 @ Oct 15 2005, 07:26 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-loratadine
@Oct 16 2005, 01:05 AM
But you could see the Blues win AWAY at them...

Good omen for the Gunners? [/b]
He thinks the Blues can beat Wasps in london? hahahahhahaha, Edinburgh are 4 places above them in the Celtic league! Sure they've got Lomu now but he's only there on a temporary basis and it's not like he'll turn them into world beaters!

right then will be interesting to see how the teams who are going well in the Celtic league get on in the HEC this weekend.

This time last year it was the Ospreys heading the way yet they were hockeyed in France at the hands of Castres, will Munster succumb to the same fate at Edgley Park tomorow night.

Ulster shouldn't have too many problems at home to Treviso, despite their massive improvements last season. Ulster have made some shrewd signings and their younger players are certainly coming on well.

As for Leinster and Edinburgh, who have also made reasonable starts to the league tougher tasks await them this weekend, Leinster home to Bath is a 50/50 call, while Edinburgh's task is slightly more daunting despite having home advantage against the 2004 champions Wasps, to have any chance of matching their quarter final performance of 2 years ago it's a must win game but a massive ask methinks.

I'd say 2 out of 4 wins for these sides, Ulster being the banker and only 1 from 3 out of the rest. I know I'm sitting on the fence but whatever way I look at them I just keep coming out with different conclusions.

Edinburgh have been delt a blow as Rob Dewey is ruled out for a while because of a shoulder injury which also requires surgery. Yes we've got a chance at beating them - we beat Toulouse two years ago - but your right An....it's a massive task. To be honest I would rather see us concentrate on the Celtic League cause we've got to be in with a shout in that.

Forgot to post, another fantastic performance away from home. A bonus point win over Leinster. Can't wait untill we play Munster, that'll be a top of the table decider.

Back to action for the Scots and Irish after the Autumn Internationals, two all Irish clashes to look forward to this weekend, Leinster taking on Connacht in Galway while Ulster travel to Cork to take on Munster, while Glasgow take on Edinburgh to complete the trio of derby clashes this weekend.

Was wondering, as I haven't heard anything, but what's the story with O'Kelly's injury and how long will he be out for?

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Dec 2 2005, 05:17 PM
Was wondering, as I haven't heard anything, but what's the story with O'Kelly's injury and how long will he be out for?
They're hoping to have him back for Bourgoin next week.

Leinster were dodgy at times today but they eventually won 21-9. The scrum was worringly crap though.

Well that's alright then, first match is in the RDS right? What were conditions like today, playing Connacht away at the start of December doesn't exactly fill you with the idea of great conditions for running rugby.

A rather crap Edinburgh performance today, loosing 46-6 to Glasgow. Possibly due to the fact that we have alot more national players, most of them either on the bench or not playing today. Excuses aside, very poor indeed.

Latest posts