• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

What, SBW was in real bad shape at the end and is damn lucky they decided for some reason to not fight the last two rounds. All he could do was cling to Botha although whether this was his tactic to avoid the final blows or simply to stand up is anyone's guess.

Yeah! WTF!!!!???

SBW was on his way to being knocked out!

And what happened to those last 2 rounds??

Something fishy is going on in Australia... oh wait...

Like I predicted earlier - SBW won against Francois Botha by decision.

He couldn't really have picked a better opponent, like I predicted. Botha was old, slow and lacking in any real power - the only thing he brought to the fight was the list of named opponents he'd lost to.

Was a reasonably even fight to be fair, at no point did anyone look in any real trouble.

This will have SBW fan boys saying he could be the next big thing - the bright side being it will get him one step closer to fighting an opponent who is capable.

Nick was this a joke post? SBW was out on his feet in the 10th and should have been docked a point for holding much earlier. Plus the last 2 rounds got pulled after he started getting hammered. Such a fix it wasn't even funny. He would have been sleeping had the ref given us the f*cking 12 rounds it was meant to be.

I'm not a SBW hater, but that was complete bullshit. I don't think he fights again after that. He hit Botha with his best shots and they didn't even make him flinch. He has good speed, but no power and poor defence, he'd get hammered if he tried to step up in class.

LOL, someone was gonna lose some money if those last 2 rounds were gonna happen.

Quade looked surprisingly goodish although his opponent looked just as out of place as he did but after a tentative start (man he should work on his positioning in retreat!) he landed a punch and got a whiff of blood. Landed a solid punch to end it so I've got to hand it to Quade; you can only fight what's placed in front of you and though it wasn't much Quade was more than able to handle it.

Last edited:
LOL, someone was gonna lose some money if those last 2 rounds were gonna happen.

Quade looked surprisingly goodish although his opponent looked just as out of place as he did but after a tentative start (man he should work on his positioning in retreat!) he landed a punch and got a whiff of blood. Landed a solid punch to end so I've got to hand it to Quade; you can only fight what's placed in front of though and though it wasn't much Quade was more thana ble to handle it.

Quade punched hard and was very fast. Had horrible defence though his chin was hanging up there waiting to get tagged. Good effort for a part timer though.

Apparently the last 2 rounds were canned after the 9th when Botha started rattling him, such a fix it's a joke.

Quade punched hard and was very fast. Had horrible defence though his chin was hanging up there waiting to get tagged. Good effort for a part timer though.

Apparently the last 2 rounds were canned after the 9th when Botha started rattling him, such a fix it's a joke.

Yeah, certainly Cooper landed what looked like some good punches. His feet saved him from a few haphazard punches thrown by the other guy but he'll learn to drop that head and bring the arms up soon enough if he continues on. Probably the hard way but he showed a lot of potential for a 1st time. I have to admit I was surprised.

To be honest I was at a party so I had to come home and watch the highlights - which from what I saw showed no big blows. Can't believe they didn't include the last two rounds. Watching the fight now - recorded.

Can't find the highlights I saw.

These ones seem better.

Obviously some select footage.

EDIT:

Just finished watching the fight. I agree that SBW fairly clearly won the fights on points - for a 10 round fight - by why the **** was it changed mid fight? To be fair it was changed before SBW looked in any real trouble - but regardless Botha etc was prepared for a 12 round fight - and looked real close in that final round. Does SBW get to keep the ***le (which ever ***le it was) - considering it wasn't a championship fight, as a championship fight has 12 rounds...

Ugh. Also agree SBW didn't look like he had much power. He sort of awkwardly lands reasonably clean hits, but it never really looks like it's doing much damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest I was at a party so I had to come home and watch the highlights - which from what I saw showed no big blows. Can't believe they didn't include the last two rounds. Watching the fight now - recorded.

These ones seem better.

EDIT:

Just finished watching the fight. I agree that SBW fairly clearly won the fights on points - for a 10 round fight - by why the **** was it changed mid fight? To be fair it was changed before SBW looked in any real trouble - but regardless Botha etc was prepared for a 12 round fight - and looked real close in that final round. Does SBW get to keep the ***le (which ever ***le it was) - considering it wasn't a championship fight, as a championship fight has 12 rounds...

Ugh. Also agree SBW didn't look like he had much power. He sort of awkwardly lands reasonably clean hits, but it never really looks like it's doing much damage.

That's about it in a nutshell. I still feel for Botha though; as a pro you'd think that he'd know how to pace himself and just chopping 2 rounds off with 3/4 rounds to go is a bit confusing. If they announced it at the start or beforehand then the boxers could adjust their planning but announcing just as Botha started to get dominance over someone with the reach,fitness and mobility advantage? Well it just leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

These ones seem better.

EDIT:

Apparently not. Botha is blowing up about it, appealing the decision and everything. I'm sure he could get the decision rescinded for something like that, you can't just lop two rounds off haha how did they think people wouldn't realise it was a stitch up.

That was a very entertaining and probably the most bizarre finish I have ever seen in boxing.
Botha was robbed of a certain victory, I don't think anyone can argue against the fact that SBW wouldn't have lasted two more rounds.
Botha said before the fight he was going to take Sonny in to deep water and see if he can swim and he pretty much drowned him to be honest.

I am a big SBW fan and I always thought this was too big a step up in class in his short boxing career. You have to walk before you can run.
I thought SBW was very much improved and this was definitely the best he has ever looked in a boxing ring. Botha is a durable and crafty veteran and I would back him 99 times out of 100 to beat a 5 fight novice with no amateur experience.

SBW was easily ahead on the score cards though but I guess Botha was just trying to wear him down a bit first before he started really throwing punches. Botha was also fighting pretty dirty too, punching to the back of the head, punching after the break, punching after the bell. I actually think the punch that really got Sonny in trouble was that big one after the break just before Botha got the point deducted.

If SBW wants to continue in the sport he has to drop back down a level in comp and learn how to fight properly and get his confidence back up. He was hesitant to say he would return to the ring and I think that's because he realizes he isn't good enough. He has good basics a decent chin and enough power. He needs confidence to throw combinations and he has to work on his defense and his boxing conditioning. I thought he tagged Botha a few times and Botha felt them, its just that Botha has a decent chin and SBW had to land more than single punches to get him in danger and SBW was not experienced enough to do that.

I would love them to have a rematch in South Africa and I reckon 8-10 rounds would make it more interesting provided both knew the number of round's that would be fought. Although SBW probably did lose a bit of confidence, I still think it would have been a good learning experience. I doubt his team would risk a rematch though and rightly so.

* The last 4 times the WBA International ***le has been contested was over 10 rounds

everyone in Australia thinks boxing is a farce and that SBW should have hit the canvas and lost

quade cooper should have also hit the canvas and lost

So who is going to be the next sportsman to give boxing a go? I would pay to see a few sportsmen battered in ring, (not just boxing) although if it wasn't boxing I wouldn't be wanting to see it!

everyone in Australia thinks boxing is a farce and that SBW should have hit the canvas and lost

quade cooper should have also hit the canvas and lost

Anthony Mundine should have hit the canvas and lost.

Hopefully Geale continues on his path and makes it big so he can bring some big fights to australia like Danny Green and Mundine have done over the last decade in order to bring respect back to the sport. I know people say it's not possible but there are some talented guys out there who can rise aus boxing above this farce of rugby players pretending to be pro boxers.

Hopefully Geale continues on his path and makes it big so he can bring some big fights to australia like Danny Green and Mundine have done over the last decade in order to bring respect back to the sport. I know people say it's not possible but there are some talented guys out there who can rise aus boxing above this farce of rugby players pretending to be pro boxers.

How many people have you knocked out in the first round?

sorry mate, I lost all respect for quade when he blurted out "yellow jersey" last year. he's a great player and if he wants to box fair enough but he desperately needs a new manager and some friends.

Mate, if Danny Green went down to play first grade rugby tomorrow and scored a try. Would it be appropriate to give him a professional contract and front page attention?

This whole rugby player venture into boxing is an embarrassment. It's amazing Mundine would support it as well, as he is the perfect example of a rugby player who did make a successful switch to boxing and did it properly. He of all people will know that what SBW and Quade are doing wont work.

But there is mountains of evidence that Mundine is an idiot.

How about this for a conspiracy theory...

The Roosters are behind all this SBW fight fixing. If SBW had been knocked out, which was very likely, there's a 3 month stand down period which means their million dollar signing would've missed a large chunk of his single season with them...... Dun dun dunnnnnnn!

I just love the mud slinging in the aftermath of the SBW vs the White Buffalo fight. I don't believe for a second that either camp is totally up front and clean so for me their keeping up pretences amid the accusations of bribes, fixing, drugs etc is even more amusing than the actual fight was.

I just love the mud slinging in the aftermath of the SBW vs the White Buffalo fight. I don't believe for a second that either camp is totally up front and clean so for me their keeping up pretences amid the accusations of bribes, fixing, drugs etc is even more amusing than the actual fight was.

I agree totally!

But what makes this even more hilarious, is Mr. Khoder Nasser. he has a reputation of being the dodgiest agent in the world, and that there has been so much suspicion just surrounding him. For him to now blame the Botha-camp for most of the problems is just stupid.

That being said though, I think both Sonny-Bill and Botha are now milking this as much as they can to profit while the iron is hot.

Latest posts