Bonus point system

Reiser99

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Leicester
So with one round to go, how do people feel the bonus point system has affected the 6N's?

My view, it has had a limited impact and personally it hasn't changed anything. Only 2 previous tournaments would have changed with bonus points and this year England would still have won by this round without them.

England 8
Ireland 4
Wales 4 (Wales would move above on PD)
France 4
Scotland 4
Italy 0

However one area where it could have been more exciting was if Scotland had beaten England (let's assume by 8 without bonus, for maximum excitement). The table would have looked like this and no bonus points comparison:

Scotland 13 (top with PD) -----> Scotland 6
England 13 -----> England 6
Ireland 10 -----> Ireland 4
France 10 -----> Wales 4 (again above with PD)
Wales 9 -----> France 4
Italy 0 -----> Italy 0 (Sorry about this Italian fans)

Now in both scenario's any of 5 teams can win. However with the old system, Scotland and England would have to lose, as a draw would take them to 7. So unless Wales or France put on 50-60+ with Ireland just winning, Ireland would have this one points difference. With the new system though, bonus points throw that all into the air. England and Scotland could finish with 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 or 18 points. Ireland and France could get to 15 each and Wales could get to 14. Wales still have it hard as they would need a BP with and both Scotland and England to lose by more than 8, so that means Ireland would win and so be on 14 too, therefore coming down to points difference again.
Personally I feel that looking retrospectively is misleading as because there was no BP system, teams may have played differently and so the results could have changed. In terms of this year, if we had this scenario then what a final weekend it would have been. I feel that based on form Scotland, excluding the England game, would get the BP against Italy in the first though and so it would only have left England in the running needing a BP win and a good points margin. (If Scotland had won yesterday I reckon they would have been champions.) However I think in the future there could be some incredible final weekends based on the potential with BP's. Having said 2015 was exciting for being close without BP's. So overall in terms of the table it has made little difference, but could in future.

Now onto individual games, simply everyone used Italy as a BP win and from the start you felt Wales missing out would cost them and if the table was as above, then it would have.
I think Wales having the stadium roof closed is unfair, because if (stress the if) it encourages more attacking rugby then it gives the 3 or 4 teams playing there when Wales are at home and advantage over teams that play Wales at home. This year England, Wales and Ireland had that chance. Next year Italy, France, Scotland and Wales. Obviously Wales get 2-3 bites at the cherry as well.
Losing bonus points can make games more interesting, with teams who can't win still going for the BP.
Finally the only other game I felt it had an impact was Ireland v Wales, because I felt Ireland kicking to touch and not taking penalties early on was influenced by them thinking about BP's and the England game on the final weekend. Instead of winning the game first and putting pressure on Wales, they made mistakes, put pressure on themselves and lost.

Last point to consider is it unfair with 3 home games and 2 home games for some teams...well yes but that is always the case with or without bonus points, so a moot point and it rotates each year.

So for those who want a quick summary, it has made little difference this year, but I feel it could make more exciting tournaments in future. I'd keep it as I feel it adds something, without losing much if anything other than tradition.

Last edited:
How about having the championship decided over two seasons? It would bring more fairness to the bonus points system?

Declare a winner of the league each season but the championship decided over two seasons.

Last edited:
I kinda see the point, but then how would the grand slam work? Have to win 10 games in a row?

Honestly the home away system is unfair each year without bonus points, so again I don't feel it changes much in that respect.

The other game it could have made a difference was the England vs Scotland game, as despite being completely out of the hunt for a BP for losing by 7 or less, Scotland did have an opportunity to get a 4 try BP. Which would have made finishing second in the table almost nailed on as Scotland must be expecting a BP win over Italy.

I have always been against points differential as being unfair in such a short competition. Bonus points merely compound the error. The home/away mix is bad enough when you look at how much better all 6 sides do at home than they do away. Up to the end of the 2016 championship the differences were:-
England 86% Home 57% Away
France 74% Home 51% Away
Ireland 74% Home 55% Away
Scotland 36% Home 16% Away
Wales 61% Home 48% Away
Italy 23% home 5% Away

Adding points differential and bonus points into that sort of scenario is ridiculous.
Mike

It's something that only comes into play during the last 20 minutes of a game and ultimately gets teams playing more rugby during those periods. It doesn't really change results but it works well in club rugby and it's a good thing to have here.

I mostly like it because it leaves me nerding around with more table permutations, so I'm bound to be happy

- - - Updated - - -

I have always been against points differential as being unfair in such a short competition. Bonus points merely compound the error. The home/away mix is bad enough when you look at how much better all 6 sides do at home than they do away. Up to the end of the 2016 championship the differences were:-
France 74% Home 51% Away
Wales 61% Home 48% Away
Italy 23% home 5% Away

Adding points differential and bonus points into that sort of scenario is ridiculous.
Mike

So you're saying that points difference and bonus points are unfair, but all you've put in your stats is wins. Doesn't match up.

France 74% Home 51% Away
Wales 61% Home 48% Away
Italy 23% home 5% Away

Mike

Ok so how do you separate teams or make it fair when there are 5 games. Play one at a neutral location? Which one? Surely depending on the matches one team will still get an advantage. If all matches on the middle weekend were played neutrally, then whoever gets Italy has an advantage.
My point is that the 6N's is unfair regardless of bonus points, so I don't see how it changes it massively from before.

- - - Updated - - -

The other game it could have made a difference was the England vs Scotland game, as despite being completely out of the hunt for a BP for losing by 7 or less, Scotland did have an opportunity to get a 4 try BP. Which would have made finishing second in the table almost nailed on as Scotland must be expecting a BP win over Italy.

You are right and for Scotland, considering where they have finished second would be a massive succcess and rightly deserved. As I said, if they had beat England I think they would have gone on to win after Ireland lost. However I only really looked at winning the ***le, because once you get into 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc...the permutations are too great and I simply don't have all week to spend analysing that much information. Especially if to get some perspective, you would have to compare to previous years. Maybe in the summer holidays when I have 6 weeks off...maybe.

Should also have made clear - as far as I am concerned, given the inherent inequality imposed by the 2/3 split, the fairest system is that which pertained before PD was introduced. Sides with the same number of wins are seen as equal (back in 5N days that was one year when all five sides ened won 2, lost 2 - a five way tie for the ***le)
Mike.

Should also have made clear - as far as I am concerned, given the inherent inequality imposed by the 2/3 split, the fairest system is that which pertained before PD was introduced. Sides with the same number of wins are seen as equal (back in 5N days that was one year when all five sides ened won 2, lost 2 - a five way tie for the ***le)
Mike.

Problem I see is that's still unfair, because having 3 home games increases chances of winning, aka 3 chances instead of 2. I honestly don't see how it can be made fair unless it changes to an even number of games. Therefore no matter how you change the points system it is still unfair. As to whether one system is more unfair than another, well that's debatable. Personally if we had a championships being tied I'd get bored. I want to see a winner.

I like the uneven home and away fixtures each year. It works out the same for everyone. Teams who can win big away games are the teams that deserve to win the championship.

Problem I see is that's still unfair, because having 3 home games increases chances of winning, aka 3 chances instead of 2. I honestly don't see how it can be made fair unless it changes to an even number of games. Therefore no matter how you change the points system it is still unfair. As to whether one system is more unfair than another, well that's debatable. Personally if we had a championships being tied I'd get bored. I want to see a winner.
But a worthy winner - which to my mind means games won. Do you really think that staggering past Italy - as England did a few years ago - by five points is a more 'worthy' victory that defeating Wales in Cardiff, Ireland in Dublin, etc by 4?
Mike

But a worthy winner - which to my mind means games won. Do you really think that staggering past Italy - as England did a few years ago - by five points is a more 'worthy' victory that defeating Wales in Cardiff, Ireland in Dublin, etc by 4?
Mike

Everybody plays the same teams though. If you stagger past Italy as England did in 2013 then you will be punished by other sides beating them more convincingly, as England were in 2013 when they lost to Wales on points difference.

If you rank it solely on games won then beating Italy by 5 is equal to a tough away win. If you let points difference or bonus points happen, it isn't. You're arguing against your own point here.

I like the uneven home and away fixtures each year. It works out the same for everyone. Teams who can win big away games are the teams that deserve to win the championship.

Yeh this is it ! I like the bonus points and it brings us into line with the rest of the world . It's good to evolve and move on .

Everybody plays the same teams though. If you stagger past Italy as England did in 2013 then you will be punished by other sides beating them more convincingly, as England were in 2013 when they lost to Wales on points difference.

If you rank it solely on games won then beating Italy by 5 is equal to a tough away win. If you let points difference or bonus points happen, it isn't. You're arguing against your own point here.
No I'm not. As things stand, unless there is a Grand Slam, then the odds are thet the championship will be decided by how many points a side can put on |Italy - not really terribly useful.
Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Yeh this is it ! I like the bonus points and it brings us into line with the rest of the world . It's good to evolve and move on .
It wasn't broke before the silly idea of PD came in - bonus points just make it sillier. Look at Wales v Italy - Wales failed to secure a try bonus point by a matter of inches - that under other circumstances could have decided the 6N championship - totally ridiculous.
Mike

Yeah I'm confused Mike, you say is staggering past Italy more worthy than beating Wales or Ireland, well if we go by game won. One team could win 4 games by 1 point and lose 1 game. Another could win 4 games by 50 points and lose 1 game. Ok now share the ***le, because you are obviously just as good as each other.

No I'm not. As things stand, unless there is a Grand Slam, then the odds are thet the championship will be decided by how many points a side can put on |Italy - not really terribly useful.
Mike

- - - Updated - - -

It wasn't broke before the silly idea of PD came in - bonus points just make it sillier. Look at Wales v Italy - Wales failed to secure a try bonus point by a matter of inches - that under other circumstances could have decided the 6N championship - totally ridiculous.
Mike

Imo if Wales inability to score 4 tries against Italy cost them the championship because they didn't get one and everyone else did then it serves them right .... they had the same amount of time on the pitch as everyone else ...

Wales couldn't manage a bonus point against them but a completely misfiring England having one of their worst matches in the Jones era did....

I'm still in favour of a complete overhaul to a proper 2 tier competition.

Tier 1 - England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland (or top 4 whatever they are)
Tier 2 - France, Italy, Georgia, Romania/Spain/whoever (bottom 2 of 6N and top 2 of next league).

Home and away games totaling 6 games (1 more than now per team). 4 games per weekend (1 more than present) and maybe done so it is a tier 1 and tier 2 game back to back to help increase exposure, hopefully less "who can thrash Italy" scenarios, although the 2nd tier may still have some thrashings or the 4th team in particular. Extra exposure for some tier 2 teams, promotion-relegation game following on from the end. Maintain bonus points. I personally think this would be better all round with an extra 2 weeks required including the relegation game.

... hopefully less "who can thrash Italy" scenarios, although the 2nd tier may still have some thrashings ...

I think that would be many thrashings, rather than some thrashings. England, Ireland and France got BP against Italy and Scotland expect to this weekend. So in all probability, the 'top' team in tier 2, despite being the weakest of the original 5 nations at any given point, is still going to expect to get BP wins against the other three sides - that's 6 thrashings out of the 12 tier 2 games.

I am assuming (arrogantly?) that Georgia despite being ranked higher than Italy, won't actually play that much better than Italy currently do against the original 5 nations.

Latest posts