• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Points differential - good idea or bad idea?

Mike Rolls

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
I have never liked the idea of the 6 Nations championship being decided on point differential, introduced in 1993 when for the first time there was an actual physical trophy, and the powers that be decided that there should be only one nation holding it at the end of each year’s games.
To my mind, the last two Italian games are a perfect illustration as to why I don’t like the concept. A week ago France and Italy met on a cold, wet day with rain coming down and mud underfoot, when the ball was like a piece of soap and it was difficult to keep your feet, with the result that that the number of handling errors was almost unbelievable.
Despite the conditions, France eventually managed to put together some decent handling moves and ran out deserved 29-0 winners. It was the first time that Italy had failed to score a single point in a 6N home match. Roll forward a week and Wales come to Rome on a warm, sunny day with a firm pitch â€" ideal for running Rugby. They also knew that they have to score a lot of points to have a chance at the ***le, and triumph 61-20.
But ask yourselves â€" which was the better winning performance? France against a full strength Azurri on a foul day when holding on to a pass was a lottery, or Wales against an Italy deprived of their stand out player, Parisse, on a day made for good handling?
I do believe that for a competition entailing a fair number of games, when each side competes on a home and away basis and a fairly large number of games â€" for the sake of argument, say 20 - then points differential is a reasonable way of going about things, but for a competition of just five games when a side had the advantage of a home match three times one year but only two the next, to my mind it is a flawed concept â€" what say you?
Mike

I say I just saw an absolutely amazing day of rugby thanks to points differences. Amazing rugby counts more than exact fairness in my eyes, particularly as the 6N is never entirely fair.

It's why a Grand Slam carries so much more prestige than a Championship on points difference which carries many variables.

Ultimately though, there is no way real conclusively fair way of splitting up teams on level wins.

Good idea but I do take the point about playing condidtions etc, its how the mop flops thats why grand slam are so big when they happen.

It's why a Grand Slam carries so much more prestige than a Championship on points difference which carries many variables.

Ultimately though, there is no way real conclusively fair way of splitting up teams on level wins.

Absolutely
Mike

What is a grand slam guys? Is that going undefeated through the tournament?

NOt advocating this idea, just putting it in as a discussion point

This is what the table would have looked like going into the last round if the points system was the same as for the Rugby Championship

Competition Points
Win = 4 pts
Draw = 2 pts
Loss = 0 pts

Bonus Points

Four Tries = 1 pt
Lose by 7 or less = 1 pt

2015-BPtableR4.png

How would this have affected the teams' individual approach to the games

Wouldn't it have been better if the games were all played on the same time? Like they do with the last game of the season in the Premier league?

Wouldn't it have been better if the games were all played on the same time? Like they do with the last game of the season in the Premier league?
Not really part of spectacle of Saturday was each team knowing what had to be done. Also being able to watch wall to wall rugby for close to 7 hours.

To my mind the teams would still have had a pretty good idea what was going on elsewhere - the coaches would be having constant updates. The downside would be that TV watchers would only be able to see one match live.
Mike

Disagree on having them at the same time. No one could have predicted the Welsh turnaround, and the first half didn't suggest it. Think we got a much richer weekend due to the scheduling.

The bonus point system is not bad, especially how it is played in France (3 tries difference) and loosing bonus, point within 5pts of winning score, which means that England would not have got the bonus point 7 tries to 5 and this also keeps the game interesting to the end the 4 try bonus point is uneffective if you took Sats game both England and France would have an attacking bonus point.What happeened on Sat. was probably unique and will never happen again for many years but it was an incredible day with brilliant running rugby, defences out of the window and the teams just trying to outscore each other, a coachs nightmare but what the hell INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!

NOt advocating this idea, just putting it in as a discussion point

This is what the table would have looked like going into the last round if the points system was the same as for the Rugby Championship

Competition Points
Win = 4 pts
Draw = 2 pts
Loss = 0 pts

Bonus Points

Four Tries = 1 pt
Lose by 7 or less = 1 pt

2015-BPtableR4.png

How would this have affected the teams' individual approach to the games

We've already discussed about it some day but there is only one thing making this usual points counting pretty unappliable to 6N.

First of all, a Grand Slam is not being undefeated, it is winning all matches. What is the diffrence ? If you have 5 tie games, you are undefeated, but you did not do a Grand Slam.

Then, back to the points, imagin, you win the 5 games with less than 2 pts, then you get 5X4=20 points. Then the second gets 4 wins with offensiv bonus points and a defeat to you with a defensiv bonus point. He'll get 4X4=16 points + 5 bonus points = 21 points ... meaning you do a Grand Slam and he wins the tournament ???

No, because then I couldn't spend all day watching rugby.

We've already discussed about it some day but there is only one thing making this usual points counting pretty unappliable to 6N.

First of all, a Grand Slam is not being undefeated, it is winning all matches. What is the diffrence ? If you have 5 tie games, you are undefeated, but you did not do a Grand Slam.

Then, back to the points, imagin, you win the 5 games with less than 2 pts, then you get 5X4=20 points. Then the second gets 4 wins with offensiv bonus points and a defeat to you with a defensiv bonus point. He'll get 4X4=16 points + 5 bonus points = 21 points ... meaning you do a Grand Slam and he wins the tournament ???

Easily solved by applying a rule that says the winner of the Six Nations is the team that achieves the Grand Slam, and if there are none, then the tournament is decided on points (then PD, tries scored, etc.etc.)

Easily solved by applying a rule that says the winner of the Six Nations is the team that achieves the Grand Slam, and if there are none, then the tournament is decided on points (then PD, tries scored, etc.etc.)

So like it is already (unless I'm misreading that)

It's under the condition that bonus points be applied to the 6nations.

Cmac gets me.

I'm not sure I'm down with the try bonus points, although I'm liking the idea in a lot of ways, but saying that a GS comes above points scored is pretty damn easy.

Latest posts