• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Barbarians Name 5 for Lions on 1 June + News

Thing is though England have lost nobody from back 3 to the Lions so who'd you take out like will Lancaster change from 6Nations

Lancaster has said (though not directly) that he is going to leave behind several "known-quantities", and be bringing an extended squad that will include a large number of Saxons players, of which Wade is one.

The only thing about the Wade situation is that he's one of a few wingers that deserve a shot. Lancaster's trust in Ashton and desire to play two fullbacks means that all the good wingers have accumulated, getting better and better, and none of them getting a go. Thompstone, Biggs and Strettle are options.

For me, May deserves a cap before Wade though. I'd play both of them, but think it would be a bigger mistake not to give May a run out. Not necessarily because he's so much better than Wade, just that I think May fits in better to Lancaster's game plan, whilst arguably having as much attacking pedigree as Wade.

Last edited:
Yachvili, Ngwenya, Duncan Jones, Jared Payne, BJ Botha, Wentzel, Sam Jones, Francois Louw, Mathew Rees

Happy for Ngwenya, even if it affects his international play I didn't think he would come over for that anyway like last year.

Two more French based players to be added once the play off situation is clearer.

Lions better be worried.

Shoot this is going to be one quality squad...

1 Jones (WAL)
2 Ghiraldini (ITA)
3 Castrogiovanni (ITA)
4 Hamilton (SCO)
5 ???
6 Zanni (ITA)
7 Louw (RSA)
8 Parisse (ITA)
9 Fotuali'i (SAM)
10 Evans (NZL)
11 Rokocoko (NZL)
12 Hook (WAL)
13 Tindall (ENG)
14 Ngwenya (USA)
15 Payne (Uncapped - NZL/IRE)

16 Rees (WAL)
17 Botha (RSA)
18 James (WAL)
19 ???
20 Harinordoquy (FRA)
21 Yachvili (FRA)
22 ???
23 Varty (HKG)

Gorgodze's availability hinges on the French play offs. Fourie has withdrawn from the squad.

Last edited:
Very exciting Baabaa's squad. Hope this game will be shown in NZ! Rokocoko will love it after missing out playing against the Lions in 2005.

Gorgodze will play. Unlikely Montpellier will reach Top 14 final.

Exciting team but Tindall looks a bit strange there. He's not a "Barbarian" type player and his name looks a bit odd with all that flair around him.

As a Lions supporter I'm less sure about winning this than then test series.

As a Lions supporter I'm less sure about winning this than then test series.

What sort of team do the Lions put out for these sort of games before the tour of Australia? Mid-week team or full strength?
Because either way I'd put my money on the Barbarians winning this....

Gorgodze will play. Unlikely Montpellier will reach Top 14 final.

Exciting team but Tindall looks a bit strange there. He's not a "Barbarian" type player and his name looks a bit odd with all that flair around him.

Agree. For me reading the team its like good, good, good, good, huh? good good...

Putting it grammatically, every other player is like a comma or semicolon which can link a team together. Mike Tindall is the fullstop in the midfield.

I think the lions should win fairly easily both teams won't be gelled very well but in every position we are better except 8 and sexton is equal to Evans at 10 IMO

i think something like 35-17 to the lions

It'e been reported that the Lions side for this game will more than likely have a large Welsh contingent, as they will have been the ones in-camp training, with other players involved in finals. It isn't outside the realms of possibility if an entirely Welsh pack took the field, although this would be a little weird.

Gatland would be in some serious trouble if he did that TBH, the media would kill him.

Yeh half the problem with the lions is the politics . Especially as he's the welsh coach aswell . If he was another nations coach and picked mostly welsh players it wouldn't be so bad but he will just get accused of bias

In the Baabaas website, Tindall is given as coach, and not as part of the squad: http://www.barbarianfc.co.uk/news/548/summer-tour-squad-nearing-completion/

Of the 24 plaers announced, there are 5 backrowers (not including Gorgodze) and 3 halfbacks, while only two locks (Samu Manoa and Mamuka Gorgodze could complete the forwards), and another center is needed, unless they plan to actually trust Varty at 13.

Anyway, many players may not be available for the match against England. It is the same week as the Pro 12 and Premiership finals, and the top 14 semifinals. Players who may not be available include Jared Payne, Nick Evans, Martin Castrogiovanni, Samu Manoa, Mamuka Gorgodze and Matthew Rees, so we can expect around 10 additional names.

This is one of the best (if not the best) Barbarians squad I can remember in recent times.

In the Baabaas website, Tindall is given as coach, and not as part of the squad: http://www.barbarianfc.co.uk/news/548/summer-tour-squad-nearing-completion/

Of the 24 plaers announced, there are 5 backrowers (not including Gorgodze) and 3 halfbacks, while only two locks (Samu Manoa and Mamuka Gorgodze could complete the forwards), and another center is needed, unless they plan to actually trust Varty at 13.

Anyway, many players may not be available for the match against England. It is the same week as the Pro 12 and Premiership finals, and the top 14 semifinals. Players who may not be available include Jared Payne, Nick Evans, Martin Castrogiovanni, Samu Manoa, Mamuka Gorgodze and Matthew Rees, so we can expect around 10 additional names.

This is one of the best (if not the best) Barbarians squad I can remember in recent times.

These were the 3 best I remember.

vs New Zealand 2009

Barbarians: 15 Drew Mitchell (Australia); 14 Joe Rokocoko (New Zealand), 13 Jaque Fourie (South Africa), 12 Jamie Roberts (Wales), 11 Bryan Habana (South Africa); 10 Matt Giteau (Australia), 9 Fourie du Preez (South Africa); 1 Salvatore Perugini (Italy), 2 Bismarck du Plessis (South Africa), 3 WP Nel (South Africa) *Uncapped, 4 Carlo del Fava (Italy), 5 Victor Matfield (South Africa, captain), 6 Rocky Elsom (Australia), 7 Schalk Burger (South Africa), 8 George Smith (Australia).
Replacements: 16 Stephen Moore (Australia), 17 Tendai Mtawarira (South Africa), 18 Quintin Geldenhuys (Italy), 19 Andy Powell (Wales), 20 Will Genia (Australia), 21 Morne Steyn (South Africa), 22 Leigh Halfpenny (Wales).

vs Australia 2008.

Barbarians: 15 Percy Montgomery (South Africa); 14 Joe Rokocoko (New Zealand), 13 Rico Gear (New Zealand), 12 Jean de Villiers (South Africa), 11 Bryan Habana (South Africa); 10 Francois Steyn (South Africa), 9 Fourie du Preez (South Africa); 8 Richie McCaw (New Zealand), 7 Schalk Burger (South Africa), 6 Jerry Collins (New Zealand); 5 Johann Muller (South Africa), 4 Bakkies Botha (South Africa); 3 Census Johnston (Samoa), John Smit (South Africa), 1 Federico Pucciariello (Italy).
Replacements: 16 Mark Regan (England), 17 Rodney Blake (Australia), 18 Chris Jack (New Zealand), 19 Nick Koster (South Africa) *Uncapped, 20 George Gregan (Australia), 21 Ollie Smith (England), 22 Shane Williams (Wales).

vs South Africa 2000

Barbarians: 15 Christian Cullen (New Zealand); 14 Matt Burke (Australia), 13 Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland), 12 Daniel Herbert (Australia), 11 Chris Latham (Australia); 10 Carlos Spencer (New Zealand), 9 Agustin Pichot (Argentina); 8 Ron Cribb (New Zealand), 7 Lawrence Dallaglio (England), 6 Jim Williams (Australia); 5 David Giffin (Australia), 4 Norm Maxwell (New Zealand); 3 Mauricio Reggiardo (Argentina), 2 Naka Drotske (South Africa), 1 Richard Harry (Australia)
Replacements: 16 Peter Clohessy (Ireland), 17 Mark Hammett (New Zealand), 18 Malcolm O'Kelly (Ireland), 19 Andy Ward (Ireland), 20 Byron Kelleher (New Zealand), 21 Neil Jenkins (Wales), 22 Iain Balshaw (England)

Latest posts