• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Andrew hore hit on Davies = Assault?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure, at the end of the Super Rugby (or maybe tri-nations?) someone got a ban which was "X playing weeks" rather than "X weeks" (or words to that effect). So the break between the internationals/whatever didn't count towards the ban.
Might have been imagining that though...

I believe it's 'X active weeks', so your team doesn't have to be playing, but it has to be during a competition window.

That's the ticket.
I imagine that's what Hore will get, presuming he's banned for more than a week.

Yep - I think that includes pre season matches too, potentially, so it's possible Hore may not miss any Super Rugby matches next season.

I think a four or five week ban would be fair.

IMO....Hore should get 10 game banning....and Thompson should have got 4.

What concerns me is that the AB management did not come down hard on Thompson...which probably sent a message to the other players that thuggery is supported in the ABs for the time being.

Hore should have run hard at Davis, tackled him in the back, and driven him into the AB side of the ruck. There is a way to play dirty within the rules to sort things out. Swinging arm over the top is a bit too destructive to send a message to someone to not be on the wrong side of the ruck. Ada Thompson also should have put his boot on the shoulder of the player to send his message...the head is taken it a bit too far.

I thought Mike Phillips was a bit of a bully to Aaron Smith, a couple of times when Smith was retreating, Phillips would shove Smith to the ground.

Hore should have run hard at Davis, tackled him in the back, and driven him into the AB side of the ruck. There is a way to play dirty within the rules to sort things out. Swinging arm over the top is a bit too destructive to send a message to someone to not be on the wrong side of the ruck. Ada Thompson also should have put his boot on the shoulder of the player to send his message...the head is taken it a bit too far.

There was no ruck. Priestland had just caught the ball and there was a maul just forming. Davies was just retreating like every other Welsh player, not on the wrong side of anything, then bam. It was a cowardly act, at least do something face on if you've gotta be a cu*t, throw a punch or something that the other guy can see coming to react to. I have no problem with the odd punch etc. thrown in the heat of the moment, but unprovoked attacks = thuggery. The same goes for Bradley's off the ball tip tackle against Ireland. Give 'em all 6months + bans and show them that unprovoked attacks on a rugby pitch isn't tolerated.

I thought Mike Phillips was a bit of a bully to Aaron Smith, a couple of times when Smith was retreating, Phillips would shove Smith to the ground.

Aww, give him a cwtch, dear.

I hate seeing that kind of behaviour from a player in the black jersey. I was hoping he'd get pulled at half time to send a message that what he'd done wasn't okay, but no. Don't care how long the ban is, I think the whole of NZ already knows that Hore is a stereotypical c*nt. Still, at least this is a step down from shooting seals.

Wow. To me it didn't look THAT bad. It looked like Hore was getting a player who was retreating to get to the correct of the ruck on his way to join it. How he did so was clumsy (I'd be very suprised if Hore can throw knock out punches from behind on purpose), but I genuinely felt it wasn't a cheap shot. His behavior after the hit was without losing momentum to join the ruck. If there was no injury I'd be very suprised if anyone noticed it or cared, it's just very unfortunate that if you get clocked on the jaw, there is a chance of getting knocked out.

Just took another look -

Still not convinced that's more than a yellow to be honest. In real time it looks pretty normal (Justin Marshall's commentary certainly doesn't help), but I can't see it being an intentional effort to hurt the guy. Just looked pretty clumsy to me. Maybe two weeks banning.

Why am I not suprised to see Kovana make a thread on this? I sware there are the only times he posts :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going to debate it too much, but you don't accidentally catch a 6'6" player with a swinging arm around the neck whilst joining a ruck or maul! It was a blatant cheap shot. He might not have intended to catch him in the jaw and knock him out, but he intended to clock him one.

I think a four or five week ban would be fair.
10-15 game ban seems more appropriate.

(FWIW, eye gougers banned from the game for life.)

May seem draconian, but a message needs to be sent to these cheap shot merchants. I'm not sure if it's getting out of hand, or I'm forgetting how prevalent the issue is to begin with. But it's nonsense that Bradley Davies is facing a potential injury lay-off, whereas Hore misses one game and then has a nice little break whilst the remainder of his ban counts down during the off-season. There's no justice in that.

Andrew Hore doesn't have a history of this though. I think this is the first time I've ever seen him get banned. **** happens in a rugby game and to call him a cheap shot merchant for a one off thing is pretty ****ing stupid. Bakkies Botha was a cheat shot merchant, not Andrew Hore.

Whether he has a history or not, this is a blatant cheap shot that has directly led to a player getting injured and hospitalised. That's a hefty ban in my eyes.

Also Rhyer, you seriously say Mike Phillips was a 'bully' to Smith :lol: sorry I forgot you weren't allowed to be physical at all on the rugby pitch...

Wow. To me it didn't look THAT bad. It looked like Hore was getting a player who was retreating to get to the correct of the ruck on his way to join it. How he did so was clumsy (I'd be very suprised if Hore can throw knock out punches from behind on purpose), but I genuinely felt it wasn't a cheap shot. His behavior after the hit was without losing momentum to join the ruck. If there was no injury I'd be very suprised if anyone noticed it or cared, it's just very unfortunate that if you get clocked on the jaw, there is a chance of getting knocked out.

Just took another look -

Still not convinced that's more than a yellow to be honest. In real time it looks pretty normal (Justin Marshall's commentary certainly doesn't help), but I can't see it being an intentional effort to hurt the guy. Just looked pretty clumsy to me. Maybe two weeks banning.

Why am I not suprised to see Kovana make a thread on this? I sware there are the only times he posts :lol:

F**king hell, you are seriously one eyed man. How can you say it was not a cheap shot? Or only worth two weeks??....

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty bad, I don't like seeing All Blacks do stuff like this. I enjoy watching them play and like the fact they are generally a cleaner side these days when it comes to foul play. The Thomson thing was a storm in a teacup and dragged for something which really did not need more attention than the yellow card it got on the field. This however is a whole other level.

I don't really think Hore went out to hurt the guy, I think he was running in to clear the ruck and had the welsh player in his way he shouldn't really have been there. Hore decided to let him know he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and took it too far. Hore is a tough bugger but I cant remember him ever doing anything like this at test level in his almost 80 caps so far. Maybe a couple of silly things in ITM cup or super rugby but nothing like this. Must have been the combination of the 74k+ crowd, the stiring anthem and seeing both teams obviously fired up.

Who knows what the IRB will do. Heck look at the eye rake Eben just got away with... They seem to be all over the place, don't really have a clue. He probably deserves a good ban that will see him miss the start of super rugby.

Wow, a couple of really one-eyed Kiwis on here (a couple, not all!) - what Hore did was despicable - it wasn't anything to do with clearing out at a ruck, it was a swinging arm at the head of a 6'6" second row who had his back turned. Whether Hore has done something like this in the past or not is irrelevant - everyone has a "first time" and it doesn't excuse the act.

It's a shame that, even though he will get a ban, it won't hurt his team like a red card on the day would. It's time the rule in the English Prem is rolled out across the board: ref's can go to the TMO for foul play incidents that they've missed at the time. It would have been a straight red that would likely have changed the game significantly (although I still think that NZ would have won - Wales were dreadful)

Wow, a couple of really one-eyed Kiwis on here (a couple, not all!) - what Hore did was despicable - it wasn't anything to do with clearing out at a ruck, it was a swinging arm at the head of a 6'6" second row who had his back turned. Whether Hore has done something like this in the past or not is irrelevant - everyone has a "first time" and it doesn't excuse the act.

It's a shame that, even though he will get a ban, it won't hurt his team like a red card on the day would. It's time the rule in the English Prem is rolled out across the board: ref's can go to the TMO for foul play incidents that they've missed at the time. It would have been a straight red that would likely have changed the game significantly (although I still think that NZ would have won - Wales were dreadful)

Yes- I have to agree. There is no excusing what Hore did.
Given that Hore is not as tall as Davies he had to aim up to hit the guy.
Dirty cheap shot in my book. More so when you consider that Hore kinghit Davies from behind.

It was a cowardly, thuggish act. It appears Hore is still that same bloke that got charged a few years ago with shooting a seal with a shotgun from a boat. ie: a 4uckin Idiot.

And I guarantee any kiwi fan trying to defend the guy would be up in arms if it was an AB getting knocked out from behind.

I hope he gets a long ban.

As an aside, you would have to be a 4ucking moron to stoop to dirty play in an international game these days.
Even with the incompetence of the IRB, the chance you will NOT be cited and banned, is miniscule.

pretty bad, I don't like seeing All Blacks do stuff like this. I enjoy watching them play and like the fact they are generally a cleaner side these days when it comes to foul play. The Thomson thing was a storm in a teacup and dragged for something which really did not need more attention than the yellow card it got on the field. This however is a whole other level.

I don't really think Hore went out to hurt the guy, I think he was running in to clear the ruck and had the welsh player in his way he shouldn't really have been there. Hore decided to let him know he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and took it too far. Hore is a tough bugger but I cant remember him ever doing anything like this at test level in his almost 80 caps so far. Maybe a couple of silly things in ITM cup or super rugby but nothing like this. Must have been the combination of the 74k+ crowd, the stiring anthem and seeing both teams obviously fired up.

Who knows what the IRB will do. Heck look at the eye rake Eben just got away with... They seem to be all over the place, don't really have a clue. He probably deserves a good ban that will see him miss the start of super rugby.

A lot of what you've said here makes sense, but I don't understand the highlighted lines. Davies was retreating after a kick by NZ, trying to get back into a position to support his team mates. He wasn't in the wrong place at the wrong time, he was just doing what every player does a number of times every match.

Hore may not have meant to injure Bradley to the extent he did, but I'd say there was intent to cause some harm. Why else would you swing an arm at another person's head/neck?

Hore is an idiot and deserves a decent ban, 6 or 8 weeks or whatever the going rate is. He clearly tried to whack him round the head and succeeded.

Status
Not open for further replies.