• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Amount of injuries to Springbok players very worrying

Ali AK9

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Lions
The Springboks have been hit hard by injuries recently, many to players who have been star performers for them, the players that have been injured:
Frans Malherbe (Neck Injury) 3 months
Siya Kolisi (ankle injury) 3 months
Duane Vermuelen (knee injury) 6 weeks
Julian Redelinghys (hamstring injury) 6 weeks
Ruan Combrinck (broken tibia) 6 weeks
Trevor Nyakane (ankle injury) 6 weeks *Should be fit within the next week or 2
**The following players were not chosen in the Springbok Rugby Championship due to injury sustained prior to competition**
Handre Pollard (Knee injury) 9-11 months
Pat Lambie (Concussion) 2-3 months *Could return to the Bok squad within the next 2 weeks
Cobus Reinach (Knee injury) 9 months
Marcell Coetzee (Knee injury) 9 months
Jan Serfontein (wrist injury) 3-4 months
Rohan Janse van Rensburg (shoulder injury) *Currently in rehab, and might be called up to Springbok squad in the next few weeks.

I felt the need to include Rohan Janse van Rensburg, because if he were 100% fit, he is almost a no-choice selection. Him being left out of the squad without injury is almost like leaving Beauden Barrett out of the All Black squad. Pollard, Lambie, Reinach, Coetzee and Serfontein have all played for the Boks before, and if it weren't for their injuries, they would almost most definitely be in the Bok squad. Both Lambie and Serfontein were initially in the June series squad, but Jan sustained an injury at training and Lambie during the 1st test against Ireland. With Lambie and Nyakane both expected to maybe return to the Bok squad/team within the next 2 weeks, that still leaves the Boks with a staggering list of 10 injuries, including Rohan Janse van Rensburg. Many of those players are either first-choice players or play a significant part on the bench as impact players. 7 of those players played at last year's World Cup. That is valuable experience missing for the Boks. One thing that really concerns me is Pat Lambie and his concussion. It's been over 2 months since he sustained it, and is still feeling post-concussion symptoms. CJ Stander only got a 1-week ban for that. Alesana Tuilagi received a 4 week (later reduced to 2 week) ban for literally bumping off a player, and hitting the player with his knee by mistake in the process, who walked away barely hurt. The IRB really does need to review their system, and the Boks need to find a way to work around these injuries.

Springbok injuries

Any reason why the Boks don't call on overseas players such as Spies and Duplessis ?? They are fit, in form and still, presumably, proud to play for their country ??

Any reason why the Boks don't call on overseas players such as Spies and Duplessis ?? They are fit, in form and still, presumably, proud to play for their country ??

I guess Jannie du Plessis or Brian Mujati have to be called in as tighthead injury cover. I mean Malherbe was far from his best against Ireland, but at the World Cup was arguably the best scrummaging tighthead at the competition, and is still a good player to have in the squad. Spies I guess is a bit past his prime, and investing in guys like Whiteley and Notshe is better in the long run. I would always have Bismarck du Plessis in my test team, him and Marx would be very devastating in the Bok scrum. Let Marx start, and let Bissie come on to add his leadership and breakdown influence to help close the game. Sadly, we can only dream for a Bok team picked on form, no quotas and with coaches that empower players and actually give them a chance to play with freedom. Jantjies and Mapoe look so free and on form in SR, but struggle in the Bok setup. I'm not blaming quotas but selecting players because of their skin colour is reverse racism, what is the difference between that and the apartheid regime. I understand players of colour deserve their chance, but bottom line, if they are not good enough to make the team, then they shouldn't be there. Imagine if the Boks could pick this team with no political influence (assuming all are fit) - 1. Tendai Mtawarira 2. Malcolm Marx 3. Julian Redelinghys 4. Eben Etzebeth 5. Franco Mostert 6. Jaco Kriel 7. Marcell Coetzee/François Louw 8. Duane Vermuelen (c) 9. Faf de Klerk 10. Handre Pollard 11. Bryan Habana (vc) 12. Rohan Janse van Rensburg 13. Jesse Kriel 14. Ruan Combrinck 15. François Steyn 16. Bismarck du Plessis 17. Steven Kitshoff 18. Vincent Koch/Frans Malherbe 19. Pieter-Steph du Toit 20. Warren Whiteley (vc) 21. François Hougaard 22. Elton Jantjies 23. Pat Lambie/Lionel Mapoe

Latest posts