• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

American Football vs. Rugby

<div class='quotemain'>
Maybe Jonah Lomu, but he would be just an average athlete amongst the NFL circles.
[/b]

What a load of ****! What makes supporters of NFL think that their players are so much bigger stronger and faster than Rugby players? Equal proportions of freakish athletes are born in all countries, not just the US [/b][/quote]

Fcukernaut is right in this regard, there are guys in the nfl who are just physical freaks

Look at guys like vernon davis who is 6 foot 3 Inches 253 lbs and has a 40 time of 4.41 seconds, which is as fast or faster than that or most rugby wingers. And there are guys who are even faster than him. I'm not saying rugby guys arent strong and fast but to be honest NFL guys are just on a different level physically.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
Maybe Jonah Lomu, but he would be just an average athlete amongst the NFL circles.
[/b]

What a load of ****! What makes supporters of NFL think that their players are so much bigger stronger and faster than Rugby players? Equal proportions of freakish athletes are born in all countries, not just the US [/b][/quote]

Fcukernaut is right in this regard, there are guys in the nfl who are just physical freaks

Look at guys like vernon davis who is 6 foot 3 Inches 253 lbs and has a 40 time of 4.41 seconds, which is as fast or faster than that or most rugby wingers. And there are guys who are even faster than him. I'm not saying rugby guys arent strong and fast but to be honest NFL guys are just on a different level physically.
[/b][/quote]

Well look at the guys like Pierre Spies who is 194 cm (6 foot 4 in silly measure) and 108 kg (240 pounds) and can do the 100 METRES in 11.06 seconds. I bet that that vernon guy did a 40 Yard sprint which is a few metres less than 40 metres

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Well look at the guys like Pierre Spies who is 194 cm (6 foot 4 in silly measure) and 108 kg (240 pounds) and can do the 100 METRES in 11.06 seconds. I bet that that vernon guy did a 40 Yard sprint which is a few metres less than 40 metres [/b][/quote]

Thats pretty good but there are guys who are even more physically gifted than vernon davis... tons just look at NFL runningback stats. As far as physical freaks go i should also throw out there Calvin Johnson..6 ft. 5 in., 239 lb/ 196 cm, 108 kg he runs a 4.3s 40yard and he has a 45in/114cm vertical leap. That's insane.

[/b]

[/b][/quote]
...but they can't do 80 minutes with only a 10 minute halftime. Training for American Football is immensly different to that of Rugby training. Gridiron is a sprint...short bursts and then it's over. Rugby you have constant movement with moments of bursts. So, Yes, there may be some "freaks" out there in terms of stats, but they could not play a match of Rugby like they do a game of Football.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]
...but they can't do 80 minutes with only a 10 minute halftime. Training for American Football is immensly different to that of Rugby training. Gridiron is a sprint...short bursts and then it's over. Rugby you have constant movement with moments of bursts. So, Yes, there may be some "freaks" out there in terms of stats, but they could not play a match of Rugby like they do a game of Football.
[/b][/quote]

Precisely. Rugby as a game is far more rounded and has a far better balance within its players between strength and speed, skill and fitness than NFL. That is clearly the case. However NFL does have some good points like the monstrous hits that all that padding allows.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

Precisely. Rugby as a game is far more rounded and has a far better balance within its players between strength and speed, skill and fitness than NFL. That is clearly the case. However NFL does have some good points like the monstrous hits that all that padding allows.
[/b][/quote]

Thats the defining thing between the two games. Rugby is overall endurance and strength, whereas football is about the speed and the strength for short bursts, not in it for the long hall. Which is why i think you dont see a lot of rugby players out there looking like body builders like you do in football. Usually if you do a lot of endurance you cant get built up as much muscle wise as someone who does sprints and lifts.

* just a side note, has anyone noticed the USA rugby team is primarily made up of players from other countries? [/b]

:lol2tn:

Yes, just like everything else.

this maybe abit harsh but its sharp and short....Americans are f***wits and american football is a f***wit game id rather watch a testmatch of cricket. Theres way too much bullshit that goes on, i mean 3 fricken hours for an hour game.....Madden is a mean game tho, still pretty slow tho.

The NFL players are physically very impressive, they have developped power and speed to play 20s actions. If they had to play 80 minutes with few replacements and with more continuity they would have to change their training and itrduce more endurance. This is likely then that the players would be slimmer and less powerful. They would be more like Rugby League players.

I'm sorry but I'm have a hard time believing that guys like Adrian Peterson, Ladanian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson can't adapt to the game of rugby. Sure , the majority of them wouldn't be able to adapt, but there are significant amount who, if they knew the rules, would make a seamless transition from playing American football to rugby.

I'm sorry but I'm have a hard time believing that guys like Adrian Peterson, Ladanian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson can't adapt to the game of rugby. Sure , the majority of them wouldn't be able to adapt, but there are significant amount who, if they knew the rules, would make a seamless transition from playing American football to rugby. [/b]
Nope. I don't really think so. It would be too much of a mental thing for them. Most of these guys do one thing really well, and that one thing is American Football. Adrian Peterson, great running back...but that is it...that is everything he has poured his life into, being a running back. I think it would be quite difficult for these guys to transition into rugby. Just look at all the stick guys like Wendell Sailor took when he moved to Union from League. Those two sports are extremely similar and people critisize the leaguers as not being able to understand the dynamics of Union. You seriously think these guys could just switch over and be superstars? No. End this pointless debate, please.

<div class='quotemain'> I'm sorry but I'm have a hard time believing that guys like Adrian Peterson, Ladanian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson can't adapt to the game of rugby. Sure , the majority of them wouldn't be able to adapt, but there are significant amount who, if they knew the rules, would make a seamless transition from playing American football to rugby. [/b]
Nope. I don't really think so. It would be too much of a mental thing for them. Most of these guys do one thing really well, and that one thing is American Football. Adrian Peterson, great running back...but that is it...that is everything he has poured his life into, being a running back. I think it would be quite difficult for these guys to transition into rugby. Just look at all the stick guys like Wendell Sailor took when he moved to Union from League. Those two sports are extremely similar and people critisize the leaguers as not being able to understand the dynamics of Union. You seriously think these guys could just switch over and be superstars? No. End this pointless debate, please.
[/b][/quote]

I suppose my post was ambiguous as to its meaning. The arguement is not whether they could switch to rugby and automatically be superstars, because it would be ludicrous to suggest that. The arguement I'm making, is that their size and type of athleticism would lean itself to rugby had they grown up with it. I'm saying that you can be that size and strength and quickness and speed, and still compete for 80 minutes. It can be done, but those athletes aren't in rugby. That is the basis for my arguement, not that they could switch and be fantastic.

this maybe abit harsh but its sharp and short....Americans are f***wits and american football is a f***wit game id rather watch a testmatch of cricket. Theres way too much bullshit that goes on, i mean 3 fricken hours for an hour game.....Madden is a mean game thon, still pretty slow tho. [/b]

Yeah, Americans are "f***wits", especially when they are stacked up with the sharp mind of yours. I mean, even the greatest American thinkers couldn't have written such poetry like your contributions, such as this example...

Hay id cry too bro ive got this passion thing too ya know

Didnt mention anything about pussies i dont think

I could say your a pussy which u probibly are because your an aussie

And yea f***n aye those samoans could f*** me up but id handle it i play rugby against better quality players than them on the odd occasion and i hold ma own i am a 100kg center tho

anyway latas fag[/b]

Such masterful use of the English langauge.

P.S
hang.gif
Yourself

I'm sorry but I'm have a hard time believing that guys like Adrian Peterson, Ladanian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson can't adapt to the game of rugby. Sure , the majority of them wouldn't be able to adapt, but there are significant amount who, if they knew the rules, would make a seamless transition from playing American football to rugby. [/b]

What are these "Rules" of which you speak?

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Well look at the guys like Pierre Spies who is 194 cm (6 foot 4 in silly measure) and 108 kg (240 pounds) and can do the 100 METRES in 11.06 seconds. I bet that that vernon guy did a 40 Yard sprint which is a few metres less than 40 metres [/b][/quote]

Thats pretty good but there are guys who are even more physically gifted than vernon davis... tons just look at NFL runningback stats. As far as physical freaks go i should also throw out there Calvin Johnson..6 ft. 5 in., 239 lb/ 196 cm, 108 kg he runs a 4.3s 40yard and he has a 45in/114cm vertical leap. That's insane.
[/b][/quote]

Yes DC, but these "freaks" are trained to do ONE thing. They are one dimensional athletes who are trained according to where they play etc, where as Rugby player is a well rounded athlete.

there is no way (or very few ways) we can compare both games.

Rugby places more importance on skills and well roundedness (even forwards have to learn passing, just in case)

Football want you to master just one particular skill (punt, kick, block, catch, pass)

but of course, there is still some way to compare the games. tackling for instance
tackles in general in rugby is less dangerous than in football. most of the time, rugby player is prepared to take the force when being tackled. although there might be some exception.
but not football. Quarter backs are frequently injured because they got sacked ( imagine a 200 lb player runs you down without u preparing for it), thats y they wear pads.

oh yea, i think rugby player made less money compared to NFL stars!!

for me, as a person that plays both games ( FB for rugby and D-LIneman for Football) , each has its own beauty.

<div class='quotemain'> I'm sorry but I'm have a hard time believing that guys like Adrian Peterson, Ladanian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson can't adapt to the game of rugby. Sure , the majority of them wouldn't be able to adapt, but there are significant amount who, if they knew the rules, would make a seamless transition from playing American football to rugby. [/b]

What are these "Rules" of which you speak?
[/b][/quote]

Rules, laws, you're arguing semantics.

i could put up a team of freak nfl athletes and make a 15 team squad easy, its not that hard, especially considering flankers on a team would be 6 foot 7 290 pounds and have 4.5 40 speed..

there's no doubt in my mind if trained and brought up on the game these guys would not dominate the sport.. no doubt.

they could go 80 minutes no doubt in my mind, there is no way you can sit here and say reggie bush, julius peppers, vernon davis, calvin johnson could no go 80 minutes if they worked even more on endurance, these guys are already in terrific shape as it is.

i could put up a team of freak nfl athletes and make a 15 team squad easy, its not that hard, especially considering flankers on a team would be 6 foot 7 290 pounds and have 4.5 40 speed..[/b]

That's a ridiculous statement. Aside from Julius Peppers, name one other NFL player who comes close to those kinds of measurables. If you want to compare the athletes form the two sports, you should look at the measurables of the average players, not on one or two physical freaks.

Latest posts