• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Ireland Championships 2014

The Leinster hurling championship is improving. Kilkenny, Galway and Dublin can all be there or there abouts. Wexford are certainly heading in the right direction, while Laois are finally sorting themselves out and aren't likely to be as ridiculously poor as they have been for the past number of years.

Leinster hurling's rep suffered from about 2005 on due to the utter dominance of Kilkenny. But as we saw in the latter stages of the All Ireland in those years, counties such as Limerick, Waterford and Tipp were just as likely to get smashed by Kilkenny as Wexford or Offaly.

I agree but on top of that (excluding Dublin) the rest wouldn't harm a Munster team. I think their equal to that of Munster football

We'll see how the championship goes. I could see Wexford beating a Munster side this year, and I'd imagine Limerick wouldn't be too quick to dismiss sides like Offaly after what happened in the league this year.

We'll see how the championship goes. I could see Wexford beating a Munster side this year, and I'd imagine Limerick wouldn't be too quick to dismiss sides like Offaly after what happened in the league this year.

True but as we all know league doesn't prove much.

True but as we all know league doesn't prove much.

Yeah, fair enough. I've switched over to the rugby now anyway, as there isn't much to see here. I will say that I can't understand why Offaly played into the wind in the first half. They're a confidence side; if they'd been able to go in with a slight lead in the first half they could have stood a chance, but the heads were likely to drop if Kilkenny got a run up.

Yeah, fair enough. I've switched over to the rugby now anyway, as there isn't much to see here. I will say that I can't understand why Offaly played into the wind in the first half. They're a confidence side; if they'd been able to go in with a slight lead in the first half they could have stood a chance, but the heads were likely to drop if Kilkenny got a run up.

Agreed. On the rugby too

I'm amazed hurling survives. In Ulster it's non existent...the two counties that play it, Antrim and Derry, barely have enough players http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...the-future-of-hurling-in-ulster-28692281.html

It's also the lesser code in most of the country bar the very south. That Kerry don't play it definitely takes away something as well.

For what is a smaller sport in a small country can hurling survive? If it retains amateur status and costs are kept low then probably, but if the GAA goes professional can hurling last?

I'm amazed hurling survives. In Ulster it's non existent...the two counties that play it, Antrim and Derry, barely have enough players http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...the-future-of-hurling-in-ulster-28692281.html

It's also the lesser code in most of the country bar the very south. That Kerry don't play it definitely takes away something as well.

For what is a smaller sport in a small country can hurling survive? If it retains amateur status and costs are kept low then probably, but if the GAA goes professional can hurling last?

Kerry do play it and Cavan, Donegal and few other Ulster teams have a hurling team.
Antrim are competitive at lower level of Championship against the Offalys and Laois'

Yeah I know they "play" it...I believe we (Tyrone) have a team at some level.

How many proper teams are there? And even the Dubs the only thing that matters is Sam.

Groundhog it's survived in its current amateur form, I wonder if it will if the GAA goes professional and costs rise.

How many proper teams are there? And even the Dubs the only thing that matters is Sam.

Groundhog it's survived in its current amateur form, I wonder if it will if the GAA goes professional and costs rise.

The GAA aren't going to go professional so that's a moot point.

Dublin has a thriving and active hurling community. Just because the average punter who isn't involved with the GAA does hop on the hurlling bandwagon to the same extent as the football doesn't mean it "doesn't matter."

The GAA will never go pro. Not enough money in the country. Stop this tripe.

What about players pay? Brown paper enveolpes aside, you fellas not think players will demand remuneration for their services or will they continue to do it for the love of it?

Then there's the injuries,...Frank McGuigan has a limp to this day from his GAA days. I'd be amazed if these fellas continue to put up with the game the way it's run.

What about players pay? Brown paper enveolpes aside, you fellas not think players will demand remuneration for their services or will they continue to do it for the love of it?

Then there's the injuries,...Frank McGuigan has a limp to this day from his GAA days. I'd be amazed if these fellas continue to put up with the game the way it's run.

Yes they do it for love because if they weren't doing it for county they'd still do it for Club. They get expenses and money to buy stuff like boots so can't really see it changing

You make it sound like the county is forcing them to play. If they don't want to play, someone else will.

****, we're ****e! At least we'll get to walk the football. I'd love to see Limerick win it from here on in. Anyone but Cork for me though!

****, we're ****e! At least we'll get to walk the football. I'd love to see Limerick win it from here on in. Anyone but Cork for me though!

Think Dublin just weren't at races fully this year. But huge credit to Dalo and rest. Dublin on a poor year are knocked out at QF stage. Phenomenal strides from 6/7 years especially when a lot of their best hurlers are I available due to being footballers

Dublin just don't have the class to compete at the very highest level. A lot of their best players are very athletic and have great engines, but they have very few really skillful hurlers. This isn't particularly surprising seeing as they've only been around at this level for a few years. It takes time for class to come through, you can't exactly train it.

Anyway, poor weekend for Wexford. They should be happy enough with their championship efforts all the same. Told ya they'd make a splash.

Latest posts