• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks 2021-2024 Thread

In
i think hes playing it very safe, largely the same team as we might have expected under fozzie, only a couple of changes, a tweaked gameplan playing deeper with more players in movement too confuse the rush...things people have been asking fozzie to try for years. we still have some cross field kick passes and a bit of mad cap attack from anywhere....but mostly reserved for the final quarter when there should actually be the space for them to work

A test for me will be if we see 33 year BB stay on the bench....he's proven a game changer there...a real weapon that i believe will be dulled if he has to start

to me it looks like hes taking this very seriously and has long term plans rather than a all in roll of the dice right from the start
Interesting take that we are playing deeper and not relying on individual brilliance. My take was that in the first test we were playing flat a lot (not always though), and relying on dmac passing game ti get around the rush d. In the second test we almost never phased. I don't think we went 5 phases once. Until the subs came in with a change to the game plan we attacked almost exclusively from kick return or turnover, relying on individual brilliance. Certainly it seemed like the plan before ratima came on was to only try phasing if we were in their half.

In

Interesting take that we are playing deeper and not relying on individual brilliance. My take was that in the first test we were playing flat a lot (not always though), and relying on dmac passing game ti get around the rush d. In the second test we almost never phased. I don't think we went 5 phases once. Until the subs came in with a change to the game plan we attacked almost exclusively from kick return or turnover, relying on individual brilliance. Certainly it seemed like the plan before ratima came on was to only try phasing if we were in their half.
not just the whole back line playing deeper, i feel DMac might have been a normal position....but JB was sitting in behind a forward giving Dmac the option to hit the crash ball or to play out the back. Fozzie version was RM behind the pod so the halfback had to make the play meaning the snipers could commit to things earlier....going through 10 means those snipers have to keep an eye on two options inside (forward pod and Dmac just running)

i'll happily take BB attempting individual brilliance in the final 20 minutes from 15 over crossfield pass kicks inside out own 22 within the first half....which is what weve seen before

not just the whole back line playing deeper, i feel DMac might have been a normal position....but JB was sitting in behind a forward giving Dmac the option to hit the crash ball or to play out the back. Fozzie version was RM behind the pod so the halfback had to make the play meaning the snipers could commit to things earlier....going through 10 means those snipers have to keep an eye on two options inside (forward pod and Dmac just running)

i'll happily take BB attempting individual brilliance in the final 20 minutes from 15 over crossfield pass kicks inside out own 22 within the first half....which is what weve seen before
That's interesting analysis.

Minor point but, What I was saying is that in the second test most of our attack, before the subs came on, relied on individual brilliance from kick return or turnover. Probably Mostly this was because we didn't get a lot of possession inside their half, and we weren't phasing inside ours. We only tried phasing inside our own half when ratima and beuden came on.

In a game when we hardly phased at all, it's hard to judge our phase player structure. Of course you can judge from the first test though. And I do wonder if the plan, in terms of how often we phase, in what parts of the field, and at what times in the game, will depend on who is playing and who the opposition is.

Last edited:
That's interesting analysis.

Minor point but, What I was saying is that in the second test most of our attack, before the subs came on, relied on individual brilliance from kick return or turnover. Probably Mostly this was because we didn't get a lot of possession inside their half, and we weren't phasing inside ours. We only tried phasing inside our own half when ratima and beuden came on.

In a game when we hardly phased at all, it's hard to judge our phase player structure. Of course you can judge from the first test though. And I do wonder if the plan, in terms of how often we phase, in what parts of the field, and at what times in the game, will depend on who is playing and who the opposition is.
i might have to watch again as i dont remember thinking we relying on individual brilliance. In saying that, if we're talking about mainly on kick return or broken play then its still an improvement on what we've seen over the last few year where we often saw **** ball get shovelled on, even from set piece, and would get to someone like Jordan (if we're luckly enough see RI pass) and he'd be 25m behind the gain line and stuck within the tram lines and you could almost imagine people yelling "score form here!"

I also dont remember doing more phase work once BB came on, i remember more cross field kick passes (one out on the full) and BB trying to spark stuff from the back....more individual brilliance attempts

"In a game when we hardly phased at all, it's hard to judge our phase player structure. Of course you can judge from the first test though. And I do wonder if the plan, in terms of how often we phase, in what parts of the field, and at what times in the game, will depend on who is playing and who the opposition is."

as it should be and was another criticism of fozzies ABs....they tried to play the same no matter who we playing or who we has selected...hence him trying to use George bridge as a blind side wing crash ball...it worked the week before with Clarke...and then brindge got folded

Last edited:
i might have to watch again as i dont remember thinking we relying on individual brilliance. In saying that, if we're talking about mainly on kick return or broken play then its still an improvement on what we've seen over the last few year where we often saw **** ball get shovelled on, even from set piece, and would get to someone like Jordan (if we're luckly enough see RI pass) and he'd be 25m behind the gain line and stuck within the tram lines and you could almost imagine people yelling "score form here!"

I also dont remember doing more phase work once BB came on, i remember more cross field kick passes (one out on the full) and BB trying to spark stuff from the back....more individual brilliance attempts

"In a game when we hardly phased at all, it's hard to judge our phase player structure. Of course you can judge from the first test though. And I do wonder if the plan, in terms of how often we phase, in what parts of the field, and at what times in the game, will depend on who is playing and who the opposition is."

as it should be and was another criticism of fozzies ABs....they tried to play the same no matter who we playing or who we has selected...hence him trying to use George bridge as a blind side wing crash ball...it worked the week before with Clarke...and then brindge got folded
Yes I did mean just relying on individual brilliance from turnovers and kick return. But we hardly attacked by any other means, so it's difficult to read too much into our phase play attack at this stage. I don't really see a stark difference between last year and this year, but I'll look out for what you've noted.

The team seems more composed than they were on average last four years, but then at the end of last year they were extremely composed so that could just be carried over.

Looking forward to this game vs fiji. I think they've started players that they think deserve a right to prove themselves as potential starters. Hoping they bring narawa on at fullback late. Hope hotham does well, been promising but accuracy of his pass has been inconsistent. Wish The other debutantes well too.

Not sure if alb proctor will be a great combo or a fail, it could really go either way depending on how well the gel (difficult in a first game together). both are active players, so there's potential for confusion there.

By the time we play the boks I wouldn't be surprised if the 23 is a bit different to what we saw vs england

Looking forward to this game vs fiji. I think they've started players that they think deserve a right to prove themselves as potential starters. Hoping they bring narawa on at fullback late. Hope hotham does well, been promising but accuracy of his pass has been inconsistent. Wish The other debutantes well too.

Not sure if alb proctor will be a great combo or a fail, it could really go either way depending on how well the gel (difficult in a first game together). both are active players, so there's potential for confusion there.

By the time we play the boks I wouldn't be surprised if the 23 is a bit different to what we saw vs england
Complete blowout by the All Blacks. Very disappointing effort by the Fijians, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Complete blowout by the All Blacks. Very disappointing effort by the Fijians, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Yeah, looks like they've gone backwards in terms of defense compared to last year. And composure in attack. They are probably creating more opportunities now, but need to learn to reign it in . To be fair the all blacks saw it coming and attacked the ball/ players arms or hit the player hard (often from behind) just as they received an offload. But fiji didn't adapt.

Fiji historically doesn't play that well against the ABs, might be a mental thing. You'd think the success of the Drua would've given them a confidence boost but I guess not.

Was hoping both teams would score more tries but the AB defence was really good. Fiji did the best they could and tackled hard.

I think the gap between tier 1 and the rest will just keep getting bigger until World Rugby sorts itself out.

Trc squad named. Summary is, compared to first squad,
- taukeiaho out injured replaced by bell
- Darry officially joins (lord comes in as injury cover)
- Sam cane joins
- hotham in for Christie
- havili joins
- jordan and love join
- narawa out

Forwards (20)

Hookers
Asafo Aumua (27 / Hurricanes / Wellington / 9)
Codie Taylor (33 / Crusaders / Canterbury / 87)
George Bell (22 / Crusaders / Canterbury / 1)

Props
Ethan De Groot (26 / Highlanders / Southland / 25)
Tyrel Lomax (28 / Hurricanes / Tasman / 34)
Fletcher Newell (24 / Crusaders / Canterbury / 16)
Pasilio Tosi (26 / Hurricanes / Bay of Plenty / 1)
Ofa Tu'ungafasi (32 / Blues / Northland / 59)
Tamaiti Williams (23 / Crusaders / Canterbury / 8)

Locks
Scott Barrett (30 / Crusaders / Taranaki / 72) (Captain)
Tupou Vaa'i (24 / Chiefs / Taranaki / 28)
Patrick Tuipulotu (31 / Blues / Auckland / 45)
Sam Darry (24 / Blues / Canterbury / 1)

Loose Forwards
Ethan Blackadder (29 / Crusaders / Tasman / 11)
Sam Cane (32 / Chiefs / Bay of Plenty / 95)
Samipeni Finau (25 / Chiefs / Waikato / 3)
Luke Jacobson (27 / Chiefs / Waikato / 21)
Dalton Papali'i (26 / Blues / Counties Manukau / 34)
Ardie Savea (30 / Moana Pasifika / Wellington / 84) (Vice Captain)
Wallace Sititi (21 / Chiefs / North Harbour / 1)

Backs (16)

Halfbacks
Noah Hotham (21 / Crusaders / Tasman / 1)
TJ Perenara (32 / Hurricanes / Wellington / 81)
Cortez Ratima (23 / Chiefs / Waikato / 2)

First five-eighths
Beauden Barrett (33 / Blues / Taranaki / 126)
Damian McKenzie (29 / Chiefs / Waikato / 50)

Mid-fielders
Jordie Barrett (27 / Hurricanes / Taranaki / 60) (Vice Captain)
David Havili (29 / Crusaders / Tasman / 27)
Rieko Ioane (27 / Blues / Auckland / 71)
Anton Lienert-Brown (29 / Chiefs / Waikato / 73)
Billy Proctor (25 / Hurricanes / Wellington / 1)

Outside backs
Caleb Clarke (25 / Blues / Auckland / 21)
Will Jordan (26 / Crusaders / Tasman / 31)
Ruben Love (23 / Hurricanes / Wellington / 0)*
Stephen Perofeta (27 / Blues / Taranaki / 5)
Sevu Reece (27 / Crusaders / Southland / 26)
Mark Tele'a (27 / Blues / North Harbour/ 11)

INJURY COVER: Josh Lord (23 / Chiefs / Taranaki / 4)

Christie out for hotham is the most interesting one.

Could mean they are looking to start the transition to their new guys. Could mean they want someone with a fast clearance and so Christie doesn't fit the plan.

i think thats it, too conservative taking 2 experienced guys in year one of a WRC cycle, now is the time to build more depth

i think thats it, too conservative taking 2 experienced guys in year one of a WRC cycle, now is the time to build more depth
Another thing worth considering is that in some ways roigard, hotham, and ratima are similar. Fakatava too. In that they are good at running from the base. So you want to build a game plan with those strengths in mind. Given they're all inexperienced too, you can't afford to play the experienced guys much if you want to transition.

The Pumas starting XV:

1 Thomas Gallo
2 Ignacio Ruiz
3 Eduardo Bello
4 Franco Molina
5 Pedro Rubiolo
6 Pablo Matera (c)
7 Marcos Kremer
8 Juan Martin Gonzalez
9 Gonzalo Bertranou
10 Santiago Carreras
11 Mateo Carreras
12 Santiago Chocobares
13 Lucio Cinti
14 Matias Moroni
15 Juan Cruz Mallia

16 Agustin Creevy
17 Mayco Vivas
18 Joel Sclavi
19 Efrain Elias
20 Tomas Lavanini
21 Joaquin Oviedo
22 Lautaro Bazan Velez
23 Tomas Albornoz

1. Ethan De Groot (25) 2. Codie Taylor (87) (Vice Captain) 3. Tyrel Lomax (34) 4. Tupou Vaa'i (28) 5. Sam Darry (1) 6. Ethan Blackadder (11) 7. Dalton Papali'i (34) 8. Ardie Savea (84) (Captain) 9. TJ Perenara (82) 10. Damian McKenzie (50) 11. Mark Tele'a (11) 12. Jordie Barrett (60) (Vice Captain) 13. Anton Lienert-Brown (73) 14. Sevu Reece (26) 15. Beauden Barrett (126)

Reserves: 16. Asafo Aumua (9) 17. Ofa Tu'ungafasi (59) 18. Fletcher Newell (16) 19. Josh Lord (4) 20. Wallace Sititi (1) 21. Cortez Ratima (2) 22. Rieko Ioane (71) 23. Will Jordan (31)

Where are the 2024 Rugby Championship threads?

Latest posts