• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

After match citings

dai_seven

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
Can someone please help with a serious answer? I'm not concerned about whether what happened is right or wrong or if the cases warrant citings and any ban.

I'm just wondering what happens in a case like Joe Marler's.

He has been cited for 2 separate incidents, so my question is this: If found guilty of both, does he have 2 bans added together? Or is it a case of incident A warrants x weeks which is longer than incident B, therefore the ban will be that length.

Usually, the suspensions are served concurrently, i.e. he will serve the longest of the two suspensions. However, that doesn't mean he has escaped punishment for the lesser offence. It is still recorded as a suspension on his disciplinary record, which will come into play if he his cited and found guilty at another time, e.g.

Fred Smith gets sited for a late, high tackle and a punch in two separate incidents. He gets five weeks for the punch and two weeks for the tackle. He will serve a five week suspension

Later in the season, he gets red carded for a similar late high tackle. He is found guilty, and the Judicial Officer now looks at his previous record. It will show he has a previous suspension in the same season and on the same charge, his chances of mitigation are small, and he gets four weeks where he might have only got two without the previous.

Latest posts