• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Adam Jones Retires From International Rugby

Which ones? I don't want to get into it, but he really hasn't been at his best this year, and is part of a struggling Cardiff pack.

The ones that come from Opta and the Blues game recorded stats. Plus if you know what is going on in the pack you will simply know it is not just him who is actually at fault. He's not dominant but he's a pretty good person to have in the squad to at least mentor the young guns.

Last edited:
An excellent servent to both Wales and The lions. At his peak he was perhaps the best in his position and without a doubt one of Wales's finest. Sad to see him go from international rugby.

We've lost another player in the mold of Ed and Andrea :( Congratulation on a fantastic international career though Adam Jones. You will be missed.

Was Hair Bear the only Welsh player remaining from the 2003 RWC side?

When I read Gatland's 'high praise' press release I threw up a little in my mouth.
I'm not sure why things went down as they have for him, but it shouldn't have happened like this. He was (and is) always class. I hope he can go get a big payday somewhere.
http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/32491.php#.VMUWZnm9KK1

Jones is an outstanding player and champion of the sport. Honest, tough classy player throughout his career. Find it hard to believe he has nothing more to offer at international.

When I read Gatland's 'high praise' press release I threw up a little in my mouth.
I'm not sure why things went down as they have for him, but it shouldn't have happened like this. He was (and is) always class. I hope he can go get a big payday somewhere.
http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/32491.php#.VMUWZnm9KK1

Gatland is a scumbag . I'm sure he does this just to prove to everyone he is the boss . He did the same to Martyn Williams . If all he has to say about Adam Jones' whole career is in those couple of short paragraphs there's something wrong

Gatland is a scumbag . I'm sure he does this just to prove to everyone he is the boss . He did the same to Martyn Williams . If all he has to say about Adam Jones' whole career is in those couple of short paragraphs there's something wrong

I see you've posted 1,223 times. I'm curious as to how many of them not been slagging of Gatland? :eek:

(may have you confused with someone else, so apologise if so, but pretty sure the last few threads I've read you've jumped in slagging him off)

I see you've posted 1,223 times. I'm curious as to how many of them not been slagging of Gatland? :eek:

(may have you confused with someone else, so apologise if so, but pretty sure the last few threads I've read you've jumped in slagging him off)

I don't slag Gatland off too much . But you must admit this has been dealt with very poorly by him. A lot of the Jones interviews are him saying he would have liked to have known he was going to be stood down and that he felt embarrassed in the way things were done . I'm sorry but a 95 cap legend should never feel like that when packing in international rugby

Shame to hear. The whole scenario over Jones over the last 18 months has been shoddily managed by everyone except the man himself who has been left in limbo over his club contact and now being overlooked over, and I don't like using the word, inferior players.

Now the positives, what a career he has had, been a huge part of our sucesses over the last 10+ years. Grand Slams, 3 World Cups, Lions Caps and achieved much domestically with the Ospreys too.

Just a shame he can't go out on his own terms, the man deserves that much.

Adam Jones (or his agent), unfortunately, managed his situation awfully.

I don't slag Gatland off too much . But you must admit this has been dealt with very poorly by him. A lot of the Jones interviews are him saying he would have liked to have known he was going to be stood down and that he felt embarrassed in the way things were done . I'm sorry but a 95 cap legend should never feel like that when packing in international rugby

Yeah, I have a selective memory after 10pm ;)

The hard part is you can't play forever and Adam Jones had a grand career with many trophies under Kiwi coaches, not the least of which is Gatland.
In New Zealand the situation is very cut throat.
If you're too old you're OUT.
No two ways about it.
There are always young blokes champing at the bit and if you don't allow them the opportunity to grow and come through the ranks then you end up with untenable situations, like having Martin Johnson stepping in to coach England. Managers have to be realistic and look at the long term growth of the team and that means some cold hard decisions have to be taken on a regular basis.
Adam Jones was a wonderful servant and his name and reputation will not be sullied or forgotten because he got old.
You cannot play forever.

Last edited:
The hard part is you can't play forever and Adam Jones had a grand career with many trophies under Kiwi coaches, not the least of which is Gatland.
In New Zealand the situation is very cut throat.
If you're too old you're OUT.
No two ways about it.
There are always young blokes champing at the bit and if you don't allow them the opportunity to grow and come through the ranks then you end up with untenable situations, like having Martin Johnson stepping in to coach England. Managers have to be realistic and look at the long term growth of the team and that means some cold hard decisions have to be taken on a regular basis.
Adam Jones was a wonderful servant and his name and reputation will not be sullied or forgotten because he got old.
You cannot play forever.

Really?!!! As the ABs will be screwed in the RWC if the number of players over 30 are cut:

Woodcock - 34
Mealamu - 36
McCaw - 34
Kaino - 32

Carter - 33
Nonu - 33
C Smith - 34
Corey Jane - 32.

Shouldn't these players have been OUT a long time ago based on their age?

Adam Jones talking on rugby tonight on Monday.

If this is the correct clip he discusses the international decision

During and after the show I got the impression he was not happy at all with the treatment received.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts